HELP - Can't Disable the ESP. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP - Can't Disable the ESP.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOfficial Chassis Saver Rust Preventive Truck & Auto UnFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 05-18-2010, 02:23 PM   #16
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf2001 View Post
Okay, the steering wheel is not true center, it drifts to the left. And I held the ESP OFF button for 5+ seconds and did not hear any dings, the light came on and then turned off while I was holding it though.

I'll try taking it to a different dealer to see if they will permanently disable it.
Center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. I'm betting that will solve the problem and you won't need to disable the ESP

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 02:39 PM   #17
bmf2001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
Center the steering wheel by adjusting the drag link. I'm betting that will solve the problem and you won't need to disable the ESP
Honestly, I have no idea what the drag link is let alone how to adjust it. Any help with what to look for and how would be greatly appreciated.
bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 03:08 PM   #18
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Honestly, I have no idea what the drag link is let alone how to adjust it. Any help with what to look for and how would be greatly appreciated.
No problem

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource

Just go to that link- there is a picture of the front end with all the suspension parts labeled. Then scroll down a bit and you'll see instructions for re-centering the steering.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 05-18-2010, 03:14 PM   #19
bmf2001
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
No problem

Project-JK.com - Jeep JK Wrangler Resource

Just go to that link- there is a picture of the front end with all the suspension parts labeled. Then scroll down a bit and you'll see instructions for re-centering the steering.
Awesome! Can't thank you enough, I'll work on it this weekend!
Unread 05-18-2010, 03:39 PM   #20
bmf2001
2008 JK Wrangler 

N2rock - I'm going to use that link to also change my own brake pads and save a few $$$. Any suggestion on the kind of pads I should get (dealer or after market)?
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:00 PM   #21
N2rock
Web Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

me- I just went to Auto Zone and bought the cheapest pads they had (under $30). They come with a lifetime replacement warranty. So I figure why spending any more money- if they wear out, I'll get free replacements.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:29 PM   #22
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Awesome! Can't thank you enough, I'll work on it this weekend!
Not even a weekend project. I had to do mine again last night and it took about 10 minutes, if that. It's quicker if you have a competent person to watch the steering wheel to make sure you are turning the draglink the right way.

I'm going to do a slight hi-jack....

I'm still not 100% sure how mine got out of alignment but it happened after wheeling. Anyone have any recommendations on what else to check (I.E. I should probably do the basic alignment, right?)

Also (I looked at some pictures that seem to show this), does the JK draglink have a slight upward bend in it? I haven't really paid attention to it before.
McKBrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:30 PM   #23
joe002
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
...They come with a lifetime replacement warranty...
Have you ever used that brand before and have good results? I've seen pads advertised like that too, and if the warrantee actually covers normal wear (i.e. if they wear out for any reason they’ll replace them for free), I wonder if they’re made so they actually wear out the rotors to protect the pads - don’t know though?
AEV Pintlers, BFG KM2s 35x12.50x17, Bulldog Fab Stubby Bump, Currie F/R Adj Trac Bars, Daystar Upper Dash, FireStik FireFly antenna, Kilby Rear Shock Skids, LoD Sig Stubby Bump, Midland 75-822 CB, Mopar Filler Door & Locking Gas Cap, Rancho LCA Skids, Rancho Oil Pan Armor, Riddler Diff Covers, custom Rubi Sliders, Sylvania X-treme Headlights, TeraFlex 2.5" Spring Lift, Warn PowerPlant HD, Woods Evap Can Relo, Woods SS Relo, Yukon 5.38s
joe002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #24
bubba2u
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post
Not even a weekend project. I had to do mine again last night and it took about 10 minutes, if that. It's quicker if you have a competent person to watch the steering wheel to make sure you are turning the draglink the right way.

I'm still not 100% sure how mine got out of alignment but it happened after wheeling. Anyone have any recommendations on what else to check (I.E. I should probably do the basic alignment, right?)

Also (I looked at some pictures that seem to show this), does the JK draglink have a slight upward bend in it? I haven't really paid attention to it before.
nope you bent it. join the club. i have just re adjusted it so the wheel is straight again. one day i will buy a better drag link.
bubba2u is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 07:14 PM   #25
kudah

whee.. Okay there is a difference between turning off the ESP by holding the button and permanently disabling the ESP which is what the OP was trying to do. ESP turns itself off when in 4 low. In 2wd you can not turn it completely off. In 4 hi you can hold the button down for 5 seconds and turn it completely off.

you mileage may vary between years. There are known issues with trying to permanently disable the ESP after a lift is installed.
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:44 PM   #26
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Interesting thread. I have a question, how does the Jeep know if it is lifted? There is no ride height level sensor.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:48 PM   #27
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba2u View Post
nope you bent it. join the club. i have just re adjusted it so the wheel is straight again. one day i will buy a better drag link.
Actually after some reading and looking at pics at the other forum, they do have a very slight bend to them. Mine is only very slightly curved upward. Not sure why I was out of whack, might be alignment, or maybe the draglink adjustment slipped.
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:51 PM   #28
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKBrew View Post

Did you have adjusted after your lift?
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 09:54 PM   #29
fightingmajor
2010 JK Wrangler 

So why is the ESP engaging? Because of the tires or the lift? Why is that even effecting it anyway? I'm going to be lifting my Jeep 3 1/2" and putting on 35's. is this something that I need to do?
fightingmajor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:05 PM   #30
McKBrew
JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
Did you have adjusted after your lift?
Yes. It's been good for quite awhile. (I lifted back in December). It just seemed off quite a bit after the last wheeling trip.

It's back where it needs to be now, but I still need to get an idea of why it might have shifted.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.