HELP - Can't Disable the ESP. - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP - Can't Disable the ESP.

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Reply
Unread 05-17-2010, 09:47 PM   #1
bmf2001
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 23
HELP - Can't Disable the ESP.

I received, in the mail, an addition to my owner's manual with instructions on how to permanently disable the ESP. I have followed the instructions 20 times with no success. Can anyone tell me the trick to get it to work? I took it to the dealer but they wouldn't touch it, said it was a liability if they disabled it.

I am burning through brake pads whenever I turn or take the circle shaped on and off ramps for the freeway doing 25 MPH.

I have a Hypertech programmer but I wouldn't think that makes a difference. Maybe it does and I have to set it back to factory first?

Thanks!

bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:04 PM   #2
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ft. Detrick MD
Posts: 2,631
You need to center your steering wheel computer wise it sounds like. There is a sensor in your steering wheel of exact center and mechanically your steering can be fine, but if it is not electronically center then it will kick on the esp because your jeep thinks you are trying to go one way and your really going straight or turning or what have you... Understand?
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:05 PM   #3
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Ft. Detrick MD
Posts: 2,631
Oh, and why are you running a 6" lift with 35's? are you planning on 40's in the near future? Or do you just like that look? Pics please!
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 10:39 PM   #4
bmf2001
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 23
The instructions say:

Put it in 4H, center the steering wheel, cycle the ignition key off and on and wait 5 seconds, turn the steering wheel a half turn to the right and push the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds, turn the sterring wheel back to center, turn the steering wheel a half turn to the left and push the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds, turn the steering wheel back to center and push the ESP OFF button for 7 seconds, then cycle the ignition key off.

I've done this 20 times but it never works.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
Oh, and why are you running a 6" lift with 35's? are you planning on 40's in the near future? Or do you just like that look? Pics please!
I was told when I purchased the lift it would look good and it does!!! I am so glad I didn't go with the 4" lift. I'd post pics but I'm not a paying subscriber so I believe I can't.
bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:10 PM   #5
kudah
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: Everett,WA
Posts: 219
here is that problem that we have discovered... per Star (Chrysler tech support line) you have to disable the ESP........ before you install the lift. :
__________________
Robert
kudah is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-17-2010, 11:35 PM   #6
bmf2001
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by kudah View Post
here is that problem that we have discovered... per Star (Chrysler tech support line) you have to disable the ESP........ before you install the lift. :
Great, that figures! I was told you can disable the ESP with a Superchip so it sounds like that's going to be my only solution or get new brakes every 25,000 miles.

bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 04:18 AM   #7
bubba2u
Registered User
2009 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2009
Location: florida
Posts: 97
why not press the esp disable button on the lower enter dash console?
bubba2u is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:18 AM   #8
bmf2001
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bubba2u View Post
why not press the esp disable button on the lower enter dash console?
The "ESP OFF" button only works if your JK has not been lifted. It automatically overrides the "ESP OFF" in certain situations depending on the mods and for me that's every situation.
bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:25 AM   #9
N2rock
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by Militaryman4455 View Post
You need to center your steering wheel computer wise it sounds like. There is a sensor in your steering wheel of exact center and mechanically your steering can be fine, but if it is not electronically center then it will kick on the esp because your jeep thinks you are trying to go one way and your really going straight or turning or what have you... Understand?
I gotta agree. Is your steering wheel dead center? I know a lot of people with lifted JK's. And the only time the ESP has been an issue was when the steering was not dead center. And every time, centering the steering wheel corrected the ESP issues.
__________________
for details and info on our JK's, check out http://n2rock.com

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:27 AM   #10
juiceparn
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf2001 View Post
The "ESP OFF" button only works if your JK has not been lifted. It automatically overrides the "ESP OFF" in certain situations depending on the mods and for me that's every situation.
Who told you that? I turn off my esp all the time, I'm lifted (not 6"). If you just hit the button it doesn't turn it completely off, but if you hold it down until it dings then it's completely off. If your sitting still before you take off, how does your jeep know you have a lift kit?
__________________
07 JK 4DR 3.5" Rubicon Express, C gussets, Front XHD stubby, winch, Taboo Customs rear bumper with tire carrier, Taboo Customs Rock sliders.
juiceparn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:40 AM   #11
bmf2001
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by N2rock View Post
I gotta agree. Is your steering wheel dead center? I know a lot of people with lifted JK's. And the only time the ESP has been an issue was when the steering was not dead center. And every time, centering the steering wheel corrected the ESP issues.
How do you know if the steering wheel is dead center or not. I assume having to pay for an alignment?


Quote:
Originally Posted by juiceparn View Post
Who told you that? I turn off my esp all the time, I'm lifted (not 6"). If you just hit the button it doesn't turn it completely off, but if you hold it down until it dings then it's completely off. If your sitting still before you take off, how does your jeep know you have a lift kit?
You know I have never tried pushing the button in for 5 seconds till it dings. I've always pushed it and the light comes on the panel showing it is off, according to the manual the light means it's off. (I got that info from kudah's response to this thread.)
bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 08:45 AM   #12
N2rock
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Sugar Land, TX
Posts: 7,078
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf2001 View Post
How do you know if the steering wheel is dead center or not. I assume having to pay for an alignment?
when you are driving straight down the road, is the Jeep logo in the center of the steering wheel completely straight? If it is angled at all, you are not centered. This is very common after lifting.

You re-center it by adjusting the drag link. Very simple to do
__________________
for details and info on our JK's, check out http://n2rock.com

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 10:15 AM   #13
juiceparn
Registered User
2007 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Quincy, IL
Posts: 733
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmf2001 View Post
How do you know if the steering wheel is dead center or not. I assume having to pay for an alignment?




You know I have never tried pushing the button in for 5 seconds till it dings. I've always pushed it and the light comes on the panel showing it is off, according to the manual the light means it's off. (I got that info from kudah's response to this thread.)
The manual tells you exactly what you want to know.
__________________
07 JK 4DR 3.5" Rubicon Express, C gussets, Front XHD stubby, winch, Taboo Customs rear bumper with tire carrier, Taboo Customs Rock sliders.
juiceparn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 01:30 PM   #14
2jk1cjtj
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Lafayette In., Ind.
Posts: 60
my dealer shut my esp off for me i got a good dealer
2jk1cjtj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-18-2010, 02:20 PM   #15
bmf2001
Registered User
2008 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Riverside, CA
Posts: 23
Okay, the steering wheel is not true center, it drifts to the left. And I held the ESP OFF button for 5+ seconds and did not hear any dings, the light came on and then turned off while I was holding it though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2jk1cjtj View Post
my dealer shut my esp off for me i got a good dealer
I'll try taking it to a different dealer to see if they will permanently disable it.
bmf2001 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.