HELP! 2012 Wrangler has developed two oil leaks!!! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > HELP! 2012 Wrangler has developed two oil leaks!!!

UCF Halloween Sale - 15% Off Until Midnight on Friday!Halloween Savings to die for!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 05-25-2014, 03:35 PM   #1
Drummerboy1975

HELP! 2012 Wrangler has developed two oil leaks!!!

While doing a routine oil change on the wife's 2012 JK, I found two oil leaks. One is engine oil coming from what looks to be two rubber grommets(weep holes?) just aft of the oil pan.

The other is oil drilling of of the ends avles where the spindle mounts. That oil is thick like axle or bearing grease. I've attached photos of both. I'll be taking it into my local dealership, as its still under warranty. I'd like to know what I'm looking at before calling them and taking it in. Thanks...

Drummerboy1975 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 03:42 PM   #2
AngryRedBird

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
While doing a routine oil change on the wife's 2012 JK, I found two oil leaks. One is engine oil coming from what looks to be two rubber grommets(weep holes?) just aft of the oil pan.

You sure that's the oil pan?.. looks like that's part of an automatic transmission..
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 03:46 PM   #3
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Yeah that looks like the bottom of the bell housing, I would say rear main or rear of the oil pan.
1950 Chevy 3600
Bnabb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 03:52 PM   #4
AngryRedBird

Hey Thx @Bnabb

I've yet to explore any of the Fiat jeeps.. and I was taking a stab at it.Bnabb

But now that Bnabb's point this out and after a second look.. there is a seam (note the two main bolts in the image left & Right of center) So I'm thinking main seal.. between the engine and trans.
AngryRedBird is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-25-2014, 03:59 PM   #5
Drummerboy1975

Yes its where the engine and tranny meet... Hence aft the oil pan.

I'm guessing its the rear main seal.

Now I need to figure out what going on with the front end.
Unread 05-26-2014, 06:17 AM   #6
Bnabb
1993 YJ Wrangler 

As for the front end if it is axle/bearing grease, really the only places it could come from would be ball joint boots or the cv joint.
1950 Chevy 3600
Bnabb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-26-2014, 08:55 AM   #7
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

Just curious, how many miles on this Jeep before these 2 problems cropped their head up? Trying to determine how long I have.

The 2 rubber grommets/plugs tells me this is the bell housing and where the oil is leaking I'd guess it's your engine rear main seal. If it's an automatic trans you might be able to pull both of the plugs out, shine a flashlight in one and look in the other and look see if the oil is running down the back of the block. Usually hard to see. I have never really looked closely at mine so I'm not 100% sure if you will be able to look see.

The oil on the knuckle looks as if it may be axle oil. If you can get some on your finger and smell it (gear oil definitely has a distinct smell to it) you may be able to determine what it is that way. Hard to tell by the pics but it looks as if it's on the knuckle and closer to the axle tube. If it is diff oil then the inner seal is leaking.

Both issues are a PITA and if they are just weeping it makes more of a mess rather than detrimental to the operation of the vehicle (as long as the oil isn't steadily running out) and you check the oil levels on a regular basis.

Axle seal = easy. Good time to gusset, sleeve and chrome moly shafts.

Rear main seal = PITA

HTH but it is hard to determine the real problems by pic's. If you are still under the warranty try to get them to fix these issues. That's what we pay them the big bucks for.
Unread 05-26-2014, 11:23 AM   #8
Drummerboy1975

Thanks everyone. It has a little over 43,000 miles but we have an extended warranty so I'll be taking it in this week.
Unread 05-26-2014, 01:40 PM   #9
Spank
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drummerboy1975 View Post
Thanks everyone. It has a little over 43,000 miles but we have an extended warranty so I'll be taking it in this week.
This issue should be covered under your 5yr/100k powertrain warranty.
Unread 05-27-2014, 10:28 AM   #10
SoK66
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb
Yeah that looks like the bottom of the bell housing, I would say rear main or rear of the oil pan.
More likely a valve cover leak. When chasing leaks start at the top of the engine & Work your way down.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.