hella 500 to stock fog wiring? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > hella 500 to stock fog wiring?

Ruffstuff XJ Unirail Channel Reinforcement....Even Better Heim Pricing! From RuffstuffUSA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4

Unread 11-29-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
turkey

hella 500 to stock fog wiring?

I got a new front bumper last week, and had to lose the stock fog lights. I bought some hella 500`s because I heard they would work. I have some wiring stuck in my new bumper that I assume is from the stock wiring. It y's off and goes to both sides. So do I need to just cut off the connectors and wire in my new lights? I don't think I need a new switch or relay, because they don't use any extra power and I should be able to use the stock fog switch on the steering column correct?

Thanks

turkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #2
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

What year is your Jeep?

The newer Jeeps run Pulse-Width-Modulation bulbs, and may not like the aftermarket h3 bubls that are in your 500s, better off running a relay triggered by the factory harness. Thats how I have mine setup and it allows me to use the factory switch with no extra load on the factory harness.
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-29-2012, 09:39 PM   #3
turkey

Sorry jeep is a 2013. I have read of a few people with 2012 splicing into the factory wiring, is there any difference in the wiring of the 13s what's the process for tapping into the stock connector just for the signal. Sorry new to wiring.

Thanks
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:56 AM   #4
OH9JK
2009 JK Wrangler 

A relay would be your best bet. The OEM wiring and switch can still be used to trigger the relay. In the diagram below just substitute one of your positive OEM fog light wires into pin # 85 on the relay

OH9JK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 02:56 PM   #5
Butterbuddha

2010 JK Wrangler 

Wow I didn't realize there was any wiring differences throughout the JK years. I bought Apollo Series 55W lights and wired it right into stock wiring and switch, never had a problem.
Unread 11-30-2012, 04:07 PM   #6
Noxian
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by turkey View Post
Sorry jeep is a 2013. I have read of a few people with 2012 splicing into the factory wiring, is there any difference in the wiring of the 13s what's the process for tapping into the stock connector just for the signal. Sorry new to wiring.

Thanks
2011 they changed alot of the electronics on the JK, including the fog light systems, they dont behave very well if you put any additional load on them.

The fog lights in the 2011+ JKs are PSX24W, which are 24watt, your hella 500s would be 50watts
Noxian is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-30-2012, 05:16 PM   #7
Coolcatracing
2008 JK Wrangler 

All the jk's run PWM lights. Your best bet is to trigger them from the factory wiring but use the relay that came with the lights. I went ahead and wired a switch for my HID Hella's since I wanted to be able to use them whenever I wanted. When they're on I can barely tell the headlights are even on they're so bright.
08 Unlimited Rubicon 6 speed, 315/70-16 Kelly TSR, 1.5" Spidertrax spacers factory Moab's, Rubicon Express Flex arm 3.5" lift, Smittybilt XRC front bumper with D-rings, Body Armor Extreme rock slider steps, AEV snorkel, trimmed fender flares, Hella 8" HID driving lights
Coolcatracing is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-07-2012, 10:00 PM   #8
turkey

Update. So I decide to try the lazy way, I ordered some t-tap connectors and the male spade connectors that go with them. Spliced right into the factory wires with the connectors and everything seems to be working great. The lights are plenty bright and trigger right off the factory switch. It took less than 5 minutes and didn't require any cutting.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.