"heavy duty suspension" factory option on JK? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > "heavy duty suspension" factory option on JK?

Iron Cross Customer JK and TJ Wrangler Bumpers now at ROCKZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wROCKRIDGE4WD Introduces a NEW Jeep Wrangler JK *led* tail

Unread 12-17-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
tlpvt

"heavy duty suspension" factory option on JK?

I noticed on the windowsticker for my 2dr X that it has this "heavy duty suspension with gas shocks" option along with 255/75R17 tires. What's the upgrade as compared to the "regular" suspension?

tlpvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 04:55 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

It's a sales pitch. There is no "optional" suspension system. The standard suspension system is marketed as "heavy duty." The only variance in this is the Rubicon does have stiffer springs/shocks, and then it is not an option thing, it is what comes as part of the Rubicon.
Unread 12-17-2007, 05:12 PM   #3
tlpvt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
It's a sales pitch. There is no "optional" suspension system. The standard suspension system is marketed as "heavy duty." The only variance in this is the Rubicon does have stiffer springs/shocks, and then it is not an option thing, it is what comes as part of the Rubicon.
oh well... I thought I got something for nothing
tlpvt is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:28 PM   #4
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot
It's a sales pitch.
I really don't believe this. Here is a quote of the window sticker:

Customer Preferred Package 24S $ 1,670
Heavy-Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks
P255/75R17 OWL On-/Off-Road Tires
Deep Tint Sunscreen Windows
Speed Control
Leather-Wrapped Steering Wheel
Temperature and Compass Gauge
17" x 7.5" Aluminum Wheels
Front and Rear Floor Mats

At the very least this "heavy-duty" suspension is Gas Shocks as apposed to regular shocks, and that may be all it is, but it could have thicker steel for some parts as well. Anyone know for sure?

If it weren't different at all and yet they advertised it as part of a $1670 upgrade they could be liable for false advertising etc.
0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:47 PM   #5
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

x2 on the sales pitch: "heavy duty" suspension is useless if the suspension is upgraded.

Include different shocks with the suspension lift kit and now suddenly the factory "heavy duty" suspension is all garbage.
Unread 12-17-2007, 07:55 PM   #6
TheGillz
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepMan1975
"heavy duty" suspension is useless if the suspension is upgraded.
You are comparing apples to oranges here and not being fair to the OP's original question. He wasn't asking about the "heavy duty" susp. compared to aftermarket upgrades (I don't think anyone would think it was even close to that type of duty)

He was asking what the difference is compared to the 24C package BARE BONES STOCK suspension.
0lllllll0
.....|/\\_|__|---------<=##=>
..... (o)_)-)_)........(o)_))_(o)_))_)
TheGillz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:10 PM   #7
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

The 24C is a stripped down X with an automatic. The 23C is a stripped down X with a manual transmission. The 24S is a an X with different tires/wheels and a handful of extras and an automatic transmission. The 23S is the same as the 24S except with the manual transmission. Heavy Duty Suspension with Gas Charged shocks is what comes on every JK. Obviously, the 4 door suspension is different due to the increased weight. Comparing all 2 door models, the only one that has a different suspension is the Rubicon. Comparing all 4 door models, the only one that has a different suspension is the Rubicon.

The moniker Heavy Duty Suspension with Gas Charged shocks is a selling point, but it is on every JK. The extra $1,670 for the 23S package is for other upgrades, not suspension.

I originally ordered a Unlimited 23S, but after waiting for three months with no end in sight, I located a Sahara at a different dealer that I was happy with and bought it instead since I was able to walk in, buy it, and drive it home without lame excuses and useless waiting.

Check out www.jeep.com and do a comparison of the 23S with 23C and a Rubicon. You'll see the differences and what comes standard and what is optional on each package. 23S comes with extras and has some options available that are not available on the C.
Unread 12-17-2007, 08:47 PM   #8
JeepMan1975
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegillz
You are comparing apples to oranges here and not being fair to the OP's original question. He wasn't asking about the "heavy duty" susp. compared to aftermarket upgrades (I don't think anyone would think it was even close to that type of duty)

He was asking what the difference is compared to the 24C package BARE BONES STOCK suspension.
You misunderstood me. My point was that I was agreeing with Prot's original post. That's why I put "x2 on the sales pitch". Anything thereafter was my $0.02 telling the OP not to worry about his suspension if he upgrades (most people do, so who really cares?).

It is my understanding that the difference between the stock 2dr X and stock 2dr Sahara (suspension wise) is that the Sahara has gas charged shocks and larger tires. For '07, these gas charged shocks coupled with larger tires are what's probably considered "Heavy Duty" suspension.
Unread 12-17-2007, 09:33 PM   #9
Chaser892
2007 JK Wrangler 

When I worked at an auto parts warehouse 12 years ago, all shocks that were for light trucks, vans, etc, were packaged as "Heavy Duty". Same was true across different brands. Maybe that's the only reason?

'07 4dr X Steel Blue, manual 6spd, dual tops, S/power/tow pkgs, basic stereo, factory side steps, black fuel door/locking cap, dark grey denim spare tire cover w/JEEP in blk lettering.
Chaser892 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2007, 07:27 AM   #10
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

My '07 4dr X listed stock wheels as
16" Styled Steel Wheels
P225/75R16 Black Side Wall On/Off Road Tires

Then for the 24S package
P245/75R16 Black Side Wall On/Off Road Tires
16" Aluminum Wheels

Then for the $275 wheel upgrade package
17" Aluminum Wheels
P255/75R17 Outline White Letter On/Off Road Tires
Heavy-Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks

It is my understanding that the "Heavy-Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks" was a standard feature on the Sahara's. In '07 it was an upgrade on the X that came with the wheel package- it was not part of the S package in '07. Obviously in '08 they combined the wheel upgrade package into one of the "S" package thus skipping the "double upgrade" that was necessary in the '07.

But my main point being- As I understand it, the "Heavy-Duty Suspension with Gas Shocks" is standard on Sahara, and an upgrade on the X

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2007, 08:39 AM   #11
Fishbulb
2008 JK Wrangler 

So if you don't get the upgrade then the shocks you get are el cheapo auto parts store price point type shocks?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.