Headrest removal for rear seats? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headrest removal for rear seats?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineOld Man Emu WK Lift - Black Friday Special!!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 01-23-2012, 06:49 PM   #16
sheetszone
2012 JK Wrangler 

If you unhook the clip, will the headrest still lock into the up position if you choose?

sheetszone is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:20 PM   #17
Jollydodger

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheetszone View Post
If you unhook the clip, will the headrest still lock into the up position if you choose?
It locks back up in the upright position, you just do it manually instead of the spring (that you unclipped from the headrest post) doing it for you.
Jollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 06:43 PM   #18
stuckigs
2012 JK Wrangler 

:d thank you so much !!!!!!
stuckigs is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-03-2012, 07:06 PM   #19
LeroyJMC
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
I don't live here. I live in Georgia. But I'm in corpus Christi Texas for a couple more months

It's already been 80 here in GA too.......ugh........waaayyyy to early in the year to be this hot already.
1997 Chevrolet Z71
1994 ZJ Laredo 4.0 - Sold
Thanks for the IR Remote Smokinbk.
LeroyJMC is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:50 PM   #20
HOKIES2010
Web Wheeler

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
Just got done doing this. Once I had this piece off I took a dremel to the bolts holding the arms on vs cutting the arms themselves. It was a serious PITA but the seats do not have a soft spot in the padding once you mount the plate back on.
Unread 10-11-2013, 01:34 PM   #21
bcokatz
2014 JK Wrangler 

Take apart at the bottom

Thanks for the directions and pictures. But I need one important point of clarification.
You write "Take apart at the bottom." How do I do this? It feels like there's a metal bar in there that might slide? Or unclip? I don't want to get too aggressive and break it ... but I REALLY want those headrest poles gone! Thanks in advance.

---

Push from the front on both at the same time. Pull headrest.
Then fold seat. ( Watch out for the posts from where the headrest was......) Take apart at the bottom and unclip the foam from the back of the seat. Push the cover under the seat, and put seat back upright. Pull the cover and foam from the front so that you can put your arm in ( not comfortable) and with a 5/16 gear wrench ( use a gear wrench please they r long bolts. ) reach all the way up and about 4 inches below the posts for the headrests are the two bolts. Take them out....(not fun) pull the headrest off and back down through the front of the seat. You have the unclip the wire from the bottom side where the fold and tumble thing is. Then fold the seat again and undo it from the back. And you have no more headrest in the way.[/QUOTE]
bcokatz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 06:22 PM   #22
VegasRat
2012 JK Wrangler 

i just removed mine completely, as per Greenway's instructions. your writeup was accurate and very helpful. thanks!

however, I found it easier to take the seat covers off (zipper on the side), so I could see WTF I was doing.

main reason I did it: I bought the 4-door version for the extra storage space when the seats are folded. LOTS of room!
the headrests got in the way for the pop-up shade shelter (which now goes flush across the back of the two front seats)
with the popup shade filling the gaps between the front seat and the folded down rear: there are no holes for the dog to fall into !
VegasRat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-29-2014, 06:40 PM   #23
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Thanx everso to the great jeep god in the sky, (Chrysler think tank)--

They finally improved the abomination that the 2008 rear head rests were--whatta job-to remove them guys !

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.