Headrest removal for rear seats? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headrest removal for rear seats?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 01-21-2012, 05:37 PM   #1
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Headrest removal for rear seats?

Does anyone know how to remove the rear seat headrests on the 2012? I知 assuming that it痴 the same for all years though. I知 trying to get a dog seat cover on and need to remove them. I tried using the wonderful search engine this forum has but keep coming up empty.

1222 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:28 PM   #2
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Lol i was stuck on this too... Theres actually 2 buttons on each headrest that you have to push. The one button is hard to find/see but its there. Push them both and they pull right out. This is on a 2011...
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Ok thanks. It is so hard to even get a peek inside the slit to see anything but now that I know there is actually something to do inside I値l give it a harder try.
Unread 01-21-2012, 06:36 PM   #4
JemLT1YJ
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1222
Ok thanks. It is so hard to even get a peek inside the slit to see anything but now that I know there is actually something to do inside I’ll give it a harder try.
Should have noted that the buttons are right by the headrest posts. Get to typing on this phone and touch screen i make so many mistakes and gotta retype stuff i leave stuff out the 6th time i type it lol
JemLT1YJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 11:48 AM   #5
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

You mean like this?

image-3515190233.jpg

Working on a way to do it without taking the cover off now
The small things that you come across everyday, The norm that's overlooked until it is unseen, then when that comes you miss life, one thought, one smell, one sound can take you back home, then you realize your a thousand miles away, and then you get sick....
Greenway is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-22-2012, 12:15 PM   #6
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

I'm not gonna say it's easy. But it's not that hard to do. Reach under the headrest there are two little spring clips.

image-3332401212.jpg

Push from the front on both at the same time. Pull headrest.
Then fold seat. ( Watch out for the posts from where the headrest was......) Take apart at the bottom and unclip the foam from the back of the seat. Push the cover under the seat, and put seat back upright. Pull the cover and foam from the front so that you can put your arm in ( not comfortable) and with a 5/16 gear wrench ( use a gear wrench please they r long bolts. ) reach all the way up and about 4 inches below the posts for the headrests are the two bolts. Take them out....(not fun) pull the headrest off and back down through the front of the seat. You have the unclip the wire from the bottom side where the fold and tumble thing is. Then fold the seat again and undo it from the back. And you have no more headrest in the way.
The small things that you come across everyday, The norm that's overlooked until it is unseen, then when that comes you miss life, one thought, one smell, one sound can take you back home, then you realize your a thousand miles away, and then you get sick....
Unread 01-22-2012, 12:21 PM   #7
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

image-2247991778.jpg
Unread 01-22-2012, 12:51 PM   #8
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Thank you Greenway for that write-up, very informative.
Unread 01-22-2012, 04:03 PM   #9
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

Welcome I been wanting them gone for a while figured today was the day. Plus I took the top off and road down to the beach seeing as it's over 80 here today
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:17 PM   #10
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenway View Post
...Plus I took the top off and road down to the beach seeing as it's over 80 here today
80, what the hell, do you live down by the equator or what?
Unread 01-22-2012, 06:33 PM   #11
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't live here. I live in Georgia. But I'm in corpus Christi Texas for a couple more months
Unread 01-23-2012, 05:22 AM   #12
billy mo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Does this work for the pre-11 JKs?
Unread 01-23-2012, 06:33 AM   #13
Greenway
2012 JK Wrangler 

I don't know mine is a 12
Unread 01-23-2012, 07:01 AM   #14
Joevacs
2010 JK Wrangler 

an easier way to get them out of the way temporarily is to fold the seat flat, and then as you set the seat back to the upright position, hold the headrest back with your hand. Then get a bungee or rope, and tie it to the loop behind the seat. That keeps it out of your way and it's still useful if you have a passenger at a later date.
Unread 01-23-2012, 03:10 PM   #15
Jollydodger

There is also a way where you can unclip the spring that raises the headrest from the folded down position. You can see it, I think on the right post when looking at it from the rear cargo area. It's black and you can unclip it with needle nose pliers and it's way better than the bungy thing. Ripping the whole thing out is better unless you fear whiplash.
Jollydodger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.