Headlights will not shut off... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlights will not shut off...

Zone Offroad Body and Suspension Lift Kits, Brackets, DiscFS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectSave on Warn Winches and TENOFF Promotion!

Unread 01-14-2015, 11:33 PM   #1
orangecrush03
2014 JK Wrangler 

Headlights will not shut off...

I've had my '14 Rubicon for about 4 months. One of the first mods I did was put HID lights in to replace the crappy stock headlights.

Once or twice over the last couple of months, I swear I saw my headlights on but blew it off because I thought maybe I was crazy and didn't pay much attention.

Today, I drove into work and everything worked fine. During the day when I stepped out and then returned, I shut the Jeep off and the headlights would not shut off. I could turn the stalk on, off, start the Jeep, shut it off, anything, nothing… the lights would stay on for as long as wanted to wait.

So I called my stereo shop and had them check the bus connector since they had played around with the stereo and after stripping it all down, they couldn't find anything wrong.

I told them to park it outside, disconnect the battery and I would pick it up later that night.

When I arrived, as soon as I hooked up the battery, the lights came on. I drove for a few miles and pulled into a Walmart and when I shut the Jeep off, the lights went off. Weird, I tried it half a dozen times and the lights worked fine.

Tonight as I pulled into the driveway and shut the jeep off, I went outside to double-check the lights and sure as heck, they were on over 30 minutes later.

Again, I had to disconnect the battery until I can get it to the dealer tomorrow. (and of course, when I mentioned it to the dealer, they were astounded because they had never heard that ever happen before… amazing how dealerships never have ever come across any of my problems)

Anyway, anyone come across this on a late model JK? I checked all the fuses, disconnected the battery, put the positive and negative together to clear the codes and still, the headlights won't shut off unless I disconnect the battery.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark

orangecrush03 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 09:01 AM   #2
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Yikes. I'll be following this for a solution, but instead of disconnecting the battery I'd probably pull the fuse. I hate reprogramming radio stations.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 02:47 PM   #3
Razrbk89
2013 JK Wrangler 

Orange, for trouble shooting, do you always shut the lights off then the engine? Or engine then lights? My only thought is the auto shutoff feature not working if you turn engine off, then lights, and it doesn't turn them off after the allotted time.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-15-2015, 03:06 PM   #4
orangecrush03
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
Orange, for trouble shooting, do you always shut the lights off then the engine? Or engine then lights? My only thought is the auto shutoff feature not working if you turn engine off, then lights, and it doesn't turn them off after the allotted time.
After as much researching on the web that I could find, I did find that is apparently a problem. (the order in which you turn off the lights)

Normally, I don't mess with them at all, I either leave them on auto or leave them on "on" 24/7. (the battery kill will shut them off in 10'ish minutes)

However, in answer to your question, I honestly think I may have manually turned the headlights off after I shut the truck off.

This morning I hooked up the battery and I'm going to try to track my motions to duplicate the problem. I think you might have hit it on the head especially after everything I've read.

I'll keep track and let ya'll know.

Thanks,

Mark
Unread 01-16-2015, 03:20 AM   #5
HappyTrails
Registered Voter w/ID

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangecrush03 View Post
After as much researching on the web that I could find, I did find that is apparently a problem. (the order in which you turn off the lights)

Normally, I don't mess with them at all, I either leave them on auto or leave them on "on" 24/7. (the battery kill will shut them off in 10'ish minutes)

However, in answer to your question, I honestly think I may have manually turned the headlights off after I shut the JEEP off.

This morning I hooked up the battery and I'm going to try to track my motions to duplicate the problem. I think you might have hit it on the head especially after everything I've read.

I'll keep track and let ya'll know.

Thanks,

Mark
There ya go, fixed it for you!
[Sincerely, your in-house Nazi Grammar Checker]
"Boing Clash Boom!" - Dada Life
HappyTrails is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:45 AM   #6
jeepwrnglr92
2015 JK Wrangler 

This may seem silly but our Jeeps have auto lights options?
My avalanche does and has a clearly marked option for this.
I have a 2015 with the power group and heated seat options.
I could not find anything about auto lights. Maybe I missed it and even my dealer did not know about them.

Just wondering how I can check to see if I have the option. I really like it on my other cars.

My other cars have a light sensor in the middle of the dash some place to let the car know to turn on the lights. I did not even see a sensor on the dash so I assumed we did not have it.
Unread 01-16-2015, 06:54 AM   #7
orangecrush03
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrails View Post
There ya go, fixed it for you!
[Sincerely, your in-house Nazi Grammar Checker]
LMAO…. that's funny because I'm really anal about grammar and I have been known to go back and make sure that I even capitalized the "J" in Jeeps…LOL.

I'm in the process of selling my F350 to the dealership and my mind has been on that, I wouldn't normally describe my Jeep as a truck. I must have had some self subliminal messaging going on…lol.

Thanks!

Mark

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepwrnglr92 View Post
This may seem silly but our Jeeps have auto lights options?
My avalanche does and has a clearly marked option for this.
I have a 2015 with the power group and heated seat options.
I could not find anything about auto lights. Maybe I missed it and even my dealer did not know about them.

Just wondering how I can check to see if I have the option. I really like it on my other cars.

My other cars have a light sensor in the middle of the dash some place to let the car know to turn on the lights. I did not even see a sensor on the dash so I assumed we did not have it.

I'm not sure which package it is, a few months ago I went into the dealership and bought a 2014 Rubicon, 2015 Sport (and a 2015 Challenger RT for my wife…lol).

The Rubicon has an extra click/marking on the turn signal stock that says auto. The 2015 Sport does not and is plain Jane, no nav, nothing.

Since yesterday I've played with different settings and it seems that there must be a flaw in the wiring because if I leave it on "auto" or in the "on" position, the lights will shut off by themselves. (obviously the "auto" shutting the lights off and the "on" position, the battery saver shuts anything left on for 10-15 minutes)

If I shut the lights off manually BEFORE I shut the Jeep off, no issues. Must be something about shutting the lights off after you turn the key off.

Weird…

Mark
Unread 01-16-2015, 08:54 AM   #8
Razrbk89
2013 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like you've at least narrowed it down where you don't have to keep disconnecting the battery. Mine is the basic setup like you mentioned where you have to manually turn them off. Just depends if you do it before or after engine shutoff. If I recall, even if you shut the engine off, then lights, you can rotate the lights to on then off (without turning the key to on) to skip the auto shutoff. I'm still leery of walking g away with lights on.

BTW, congrats on getting TWO new Jeeps at one time! Although I'm envious, my bank account can barely support the mods to one.
Razrbk89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2015, 07:05 AM   #9
orangecrush03
2014 JK Wrangler 

After reporting here, I thought all was well. Turns out almost immediately after, my issue started all over again.

I dropped the Jeep off at the dealership and it turns out a relay was bad (one incidentally which had nothing to do with Jeep, it was from the HID headlights that were installed) Opps, my bad… :roll eyes:

I called the dealership and told them to bill me for it since it shouldn't be a warranty issue for obvious reasons.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razrbk89 View Post
BTW, congrats on getting TWO new Jeeps at one time! Although I'm envious, my bank account can barely support the mods to one.

It wasn't all that… The 2015 Sport I leased for my daughter. Because my bodyshop does all of Rick Hendrick's private museum work, they always take care of us so I leased it.

My daughter only puts on about 5-6000 per year and lease payments are only 192.00 per month. I told her that no matter what vehicle we were going to trade her old TJ on, she had to pay the first 150.00 bucks per month.

Here's where it gets golden. By trading in her 2006 TJ for a 2015 Sport, our insurance went down 83.00 per month.

So at the end of the day, I'm getting paid 43.00 per month for her to drive a new Jeep.

Mark

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.