Headlights turn on when unlocking-don't like it! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlights turn on when unlocking-don't like it!

Free Flowmaster Gear from Black Friday to Cyber Monday!!!!FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueCorbeau Seats & Harness from CCOR!

Unread 11-22-2008, 04:41 PM   #1
JeepersCr
2007 JK Wrangler 

Headlights turn on when unlocking-don't like it!

My JK's headlights turn on when I unlock the vehicle's doors using the remote button. Does anyone know how to deactivate this "feature"? The manual explains in deatail how to disarm the horn, flashing parking lights, etc.; but nothing is written about deactivating the headlights. Thanks!!!

JeepersCr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2008, 05:27 PM   #2
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

Join the club. I believe that the dealer can set the delay to zero but I haven't tried it yet.
Unread 11-23-2008, 02:11 AM   #3
JMP8562

real easy look in your owners manual it explains how to enable/disable lock/unlock doors the owners manual is good to look through
JMP8562 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:52 AM   #4
TxJeepGuy2
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMP8562 View Post
real easy look in your owners manual it explains how to enable/disable lock/unlock doors the owners manual is good to look through
My manual only has "To turn off (Flash Lights) with lock"...says nothing about the turning off the headlights while unlocking???

What manual do you have?

3" lift - 35" Fierce Attitude M/T Tires
TxJeepGuy2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 08:57 AM   #5
JeepinMass

2008 JK Wrangler 

Jeeps have auto unlocking doors and alarms??? wtf is this world coming too!
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:01 AM   #6
michaelmjc
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepinMass View Post
Jeeps have auto unlocking doors and alarms??? wtf is this world coming too!
Why is this happening?
michaelmjc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:15 AM   #7
JIMBOX
Web Wheeler
2008 JK Wrangler 

Mine does to, it's a PITA

However, if you can wait till you're at the drivers door, then reach in and quick twist, the light stalk selector--they'll go off, so you don't have to start the jeep--KEWL

JIMBO
JIMBOX is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:27 AM   #8
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just curious. Why does it bother you?

I had this on my TJ with an aftermarket alarm and loved it. It is designed to illuminate your path to the car at night. I found it very handy out on the trail, or camp site to be able to turn the lights on remotely.
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:29 AM   #9
JeepinMass

2008 JK Wrangler 

This is just a question but do you guys set your alarms when the soft top is on or when the top is down and doors are off?? I personally never lock my jeep because it's a jeep and anyone can take anything on it at anytime. Of course I don't leave anything worth stealing in it as well.
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:36 AM   #10
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, I always set it. My TJ was broken into along with 10 other cars in a parking lot years ago. They did about $1,000 of damage to the Jeep to steal the $35 of "nothing" in the Jeep. If the Jeep had an alarm on it at the time it probably would have been skipped in the parking lot and they would have simply hit the next car over.

Sure an alarm will not stop the "pros" from taking your rig, but it will stop the casual crime of opportunity or someone that does not want to make a bunch of noise.
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:46 AM   #11
JeepinMass

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xtremjeepn View Post
Yes, I always set it. My TJ was broken into along with 10 other cars in a parking lot years ago. They did about $1,000 of damage to the Jeep to steal the $35 of "nothing" in the Jeep. If the Jeep had an alarm on it at the time it probably would have been skipped in the parking lot and they would have simply hit the next car over.

Sure an alarm will not stop the "pros" from taking your rig, but it will stop the casual crime of opportunity or someone that does not want to make a bunch of noise.
With an open jeep no one is going to pass it up if they are a thief. Your alarm actually may have saved the other cars but you still would have some damage.
Unread 11-23-2008, 09:47 AM   #12
Xtremjeepn
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have owned Jeeps for over 20 years and the alarm has helped more than it has hurt. You can "what if" all day long.
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:41 AM   #13
JeepinMass

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I have owned Jeeps for over 20 years and the alarm has helped more than it has hurt. You can "what if" all day long.
How do you know it has helped? Are you actually outside with a camera watching the thieves skip over your open top jeep with an alarm system? We all know if someone wants something then they are going to take it regardless of how it's "protected".
Unread 11-23-2008, 10:50 AM   #14
jake_0311
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Just curious. Why does it bother you?

I had this on my TJ with an aftermarket alarm and loved it. It is designed to illuminate your path to the car at night. I found it very handy out on the trail, or camp site to be able to turn the lights on remotely.
It bugs me simply because I want to be able to turn the function on or off. It seems silly to have to take the jeep into a dealer just so your lights don't come on automatically.
jake_0311 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-23-2008, 11:16 AM   #15
SoCalJK
2007 JK Wrangler 

I hate this function. If you are in an area that is not safe I'd rather not advertise before hand that I'm opening my Jeep. Similarly if I want to open the Jeep in the middle of the night while camping I don't want the lights shining in some poor suckers tent.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.