headlights - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > headlights

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 05-25-2014, 04:57 PM   #1
yycwrangler

headlights

2014 wrangler unlimited sahara. Would like to enhance the headlights but don't have much money to do this..Looking for plug and play. can anyone tell me if the silverstars or philips make much of a difference if I was to put them in the jeep

Sorry guys..finally found out where the search button was and found articles on headlights which I will review unless you had anything additionally to add

Cheers
Al

yycwrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 06:06 PM   #2
G8torstang
2014 JK Wrangler 

I grabbed the Delta Xenon headlight kit. Its brighter than stock and the light is surprisingly whiter without that ricey blue look.
It was ~$120
G8torstang is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2014, 06:18 PM   #3
Jiblet
2008 JK Wrangler 

Just changing bulbs won't really do much.

Figure out if your stock headlamps are properly aimed.

The least expensive improvement will be replacing the housings (I strongly recommend Cibie over others like IPF. I've used both, there really is no comparison.), decent h4 bulbs, and a decent h13 to h4 conversion adapter, quality counts. (The adapters will be less than half the cost of a full harness. You'll get power through the PWM stock wiring so not quite as bright as full harness but bulbs will last longer.)
See Daniel stern's website. Still gonna cost close to $200-250.

Next come led setups like trucklights, Peterson, etc. More $$. Plenty of satisfied customers. Some complaints of wet snow buildup. Heated versions are available.

I'd avoid anything like a drop-in hid that uses the stock housing. Full hid projector setups are fantastic but doing it right gets expensive.
Jiblet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 09:13 AM   #4
rock-rocker
I Love Wheelin'

2013 JK Wrangler 

I purchased this kit "DOT Headlight Kit Hi/Lo w/H13 Adapter for JEEP JK
by Delta" on Amazon.com and I have been really, really happy with it. I have had these on my Jeep for around 4 - 5 months now. There is a significant improvement and they were easy to install. Paid around $110.00 so I thought overall it would be more cost effective. If I tried to change the bulbs only it would cost a $50 bill and by doing a bunch of research I didn't think that would help much. I live in a rural area and lighting is important for my family. I don't know why the insurance companies don't have a training program in place to train the deer to cross only at the designated deer crossings. If later you pop a bulb with the H13 you have a pretty good assortment of options.
Unread 05-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #5
greenerob
2014 JK Wrangler 

what ever you do, DON'T waste your money on the Silverstar Ultra. They run about $50 for a set and offer ZERO improvement over stock (maybe even worse).

Rob

1995 Jeep Wrangler Rio Grande 4in RC Lift 33" Tires with 73,000 miles. Auto Trans
greenerob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 08:09 AM   #6
yycwrangler

good to know greenerob..thanks
Unread 05-27-2014, 12:15 PM   #7
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Silverstars Ultras work just fine and are still way better then stock bulbs. BUT you must make sure your headlights are aimed properly. The factory housing produces a very narrow beam so aim is critical.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 12:45 PM   #8
yycwrangler

I see lots talking about the aim of headlights. Is there a guideline that people can use to high their headlight. In the old days we paced out so many feet from the garage and aimed the lights to project so far up the garage door. What are the parameters and high markings for a jeep..

Do you aim them with 1/2 a tank of fuel

Cheer
Al
Unread 05-27-2014, 01:08 PM   #9
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

25' from a clean wall or garage door. Measure from the ground to center of headlight. Put a piece of tape on the wall where each beam lands. Measure from the ground to the tape and draw a mark At the same height as the headlight measurement.. Draw another line on the tape about a 1/2" below that line. Now align your headlights so the center of your headlight beam is on the lower mark on the tape.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2014, 03:45 PM   #10
yycwrangler

That's exactly what I was looking for. Thank you
Unread 05-28-2014, 07:08 AM   #11
kik

If you want a simple plug and play bulb then use Phillips Xtreme +80's. They're the best for a simple plug and play upgrade. I've been using them for over 4 yrs. with no issues and they're recommended by others who have a great deal of lighting knowledge. Silverstars give the illusion of a brighter light and they don't last.
kik is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.