Headlight Shootout - Page 8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe RuffStuff "I can't go to EJS" Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 03-02-2011, 05:28 AM   #106
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Good lord. The ECE regulations are a ponderous nightmare...

In a nutshell, the Deltas are legal. The "A" is the approval for the front position "city lamp" function and the HC/R means they met the criteria for Low/High-beam headlights, halogen.
They likely didn't do it with the blue bulbs since the blue bulbs aren't legal in many countries in Europe. Those under-performing "specialty" bulbs are for our ill-informed market.

By these merits, that they're legal at least, they're better than an IPF. I have no first-hand experience with the lights; only their reputation and inferences gleaned from the use of the trendy bulbs and dubious marketing.
I've contacted them and asked for photometry; they've asked for my "credentials".

I'd really like to test them. Not only with a pigtail connector, but with a proper harness.
But I'm done removing my own lights. It took me too long to get the Speakers aimed correctly ---- I finally broke out a series of levels, laser level, clamps, etc. and did a proper job of it. And it was worth it; boy howdy.

Anybody around the Atlanta area with the Deltas installed?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:35 AM   #107
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Rebased HID capsules placed in a reflector that was intended for a halogen bulb will always perform badly; the orientation of the capsule is completely wrong and the light is totally unfocused. It's also very illegal.

Every person's anecdote is always relative to the best light that they're personally experienced. If that light was a stock TJ headlight, then anything would be superior. Even dreck like IPF and Delta...
for once, i have to disagree with hilldweller. 99% of the time, he's totally on point, but of the dozens of HID "kits" i've seen installed in different vehicles, every once in awhile, they'll line up just right in the reflector, and give a great pattern. nothing like a projector, but much better than stock, with no appreciable difference in glare. i've only seen maybe one or two that were like that, so don't expect yours to line up.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.

Last edited by 242much; 03-02-2011 at 05:35 AM.. Reason: disagree, not agree, durrrrrr... my bad
242much is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 06:35 AM   #108
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

A broken clock is right twice a day too...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 03-02-2011, 09:25 AM   #109
Rcubed
2009 JK Wrangler 

Maybe I missed this, but I did not see the stock headlamps run through a separate harness. I wonder what would they look like? Certainly brighter. I know, this is not an optimal scenario, but a bypass harness would at least give them full power (avoiding the PWM power).
Then we would be comparing apples to "rotten" apples.
I remember doing just that with my WJ and using better bulbs. Was a definite improvement, at least to my eyes.
Ron
Rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 10:11 AM   #110
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcubed View Post
Maybe I missed this, but I did not see the stock headlamps run through a separate harness. I wonder what would they look like? Certainly brighter. I know, this is not an optimal scenario, but a bypass harness would at least give them full power (avoiding the PWM power).
Then we would be comparing apples to "rotten" apples.
I remember doing just that with my WJ and using better bulbs. Was a definite improvement, at least to my eyes.
Ron
That would be fun to do.
Stock H13 reflector, H13 to H13 bypass harness, Phillips Xtreme Power H13 bulbs.

Now we just need somebody to either donate the stuff or buy it...

All this mad science boils down to an investment. Either our $$$, time, etc. or the vendors.
And I sincerely appreciate the participation by Truck-Lite and JW Speaker. It shows they believe in our community.

Unread 03-02-2011, 10:26 AM   #111
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLC08JK View Post
Well I guess it will be awhile before I get to remove the 6 Mag Lights that are duct-taped into my grill
I was hoping this test would finalize my decision
So far we can't seem to get D/S off the top of my list.
The choices are hard, aren't they?

If you want the most light and don't mind replacing bulbs often, you go with the Dan Stern kit, either with Z-Beams or Marchals.

Want to spend a bit less and have pretty good results? Get the Rallylights kit.

If you love HID and want to do it legal, the Sylvania/Valeo is there for you. But you need a harness (hello Dan or Rallylights) and will have to trim the buckets.

Want LED? Okay, are you going to punish your rig or not. If you're hardcore, get the Truck-Lites and some supplemental lights. If you're easier on your equipment and have the bucks, those JW Speakers are the cat's pajammas...

It's only money, right?

I've pinged Rallylights and begged for an H13 to H13 harness and set of Xtreme Power bulbs. They can only say "no", right?

Unread 03-02-2011, 02:13 PM   #112
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
But I'm done removing my own lights. It took me too long to get the Speakers aimed correctly ---- I finally broke out a series of levels, laser level, clamps, etc. and did a proper job of it. And it was worth it; boy howdy.

Anybody around the Atlanta area with the Deltas installed?
So how is the depth now that you aimed them? I know mine have awesome depth compared to the Stock Housings and the truck lights. I am interested to know how you rank them against the cibies?
I am hoping to try out some of JW Speaker's other stuff I want the 8701 Driving lamps and the 6 unit light bar, but they can wait till the tax return comes in. So if you could post some pics of the LED's aimed now that would be great.
pator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 03:17 PM   #113
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

They're much better now that they're aimed right.
Still not the spread of the Cibies ---- I don't think LEDs will match that for a long while.
But they make up for it by their intensity in the middle and super long life. They're keepers.

I'll get to some pics eventually. Still waiting for the spots to come in.

Unread 03-02-2011, 03:28 PM   #114
krutj
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Does this mean you're keeping the speakers?

And now you have soooo much stuff, it's time for a fire sale??...lol...
Unread 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM   #115
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Does this mean you're keeping the speakers?

And now you have soooo much stuff, it's time for a fire sale??...lol...
I'll probably give away the Hellas with the TruckLite pigtails and Phillips Xtremes to a neighbor; that should work okay for him.

I'm going to "pay it forward" with the TruckLites and give them to a guy at the Marietta 4WheelParts to put on his TJ; he'll be able to showcase them that way and not worry about breaking his headlights when he wheels. It's a nice TJ ---- and they always hook me up at that store.

I'll probably sell the Z-Beams with the Osram bulbs. But it will break my heart....

Unread 03-02-2011, 04:50 PM   #116
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The choices are hard, aren't they?

If you want the most light and don't mind replacing bulbs often, you go with the Dan Stern kit, either with Z-Beams or Marchals.

Want to spend a bit less and have pretty good results? Get the Rallylights kit.

If you love HID and want to do it legal, the Sylvania/Valeo is there for you. But you need a harness (hello Dan or Rallylights) and will have to trim the buckets.

Want LED? Okay, are you going to punish your rig or not. If you're hardcore, get the Truck-Lites and some supplemental lights. If you're easier on your equipment and have the bucks, those JW Speakers are the cat's pajammas...

It's only money, right?

I've pinged Rallylights and begged for an H13 to H13 harness and set of Xtreme Power bulbs. They can only say "no", right?

Going to use the Xtreme's for driving lights??? Hmmm, man, you just keep the wheels turning and I can not keep up. Rallylights H4 and harness, and then some Xtremes in a bumper mount worked through a relay and harness from the stock fog light harness...$$$. I am already at my limit at the blood bank, and my kidney is already promised out. Can you send me your discards???

Bob K.
'13 Black 10A Rubicon JKU
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-02-2011, 05:11 PM   #117
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

No ---- my stock fogs will stay stock.
My HIDs will move to the hoop.
TruckLite spots will go on the fairlead and get relayed to come on with the highbeams.

I asked Rallylights for an H13 to H13 plus Xtremes in an H13 to try on somebody's stock headlight; I figure it will work pretty well and be a cheaper alternative for people who want to upgrade ---- an opportunity for Rallylights to offer a new product.

I've also got a set of H4 Hella reflectors to pigtail for somebody; they have H4 Xtremes in them.

Unread 03-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #118
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I just had a fantastic converstation with Bogdan from Delta --- gotta tell ya, he's really into lights.

There's a new Delta headlight near completion. We even ran some ideas past each other... ...I haven't hat this much fun talking lights ever.

Can't wait to test some more now. I need a stock JK. Or maybe CJ will come over again and we can play mad scientist on his Rubi.

Unread 03-03-2011, 02:32 PM   #119
krutj
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Heck Bill, I'm thinking it's about time for you to get some compensation for all the work and advertising that you are doing for these companies..eh?
Unread 03-03-2011, 03:16 PM   #120
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Heck Bill, I'm thinking it's about time for you to get some compensation for all the work and advertising that you are doing for these companies..eh?
I tell ya, after talking to the Speaker guys and Bogdan, it sounds like a fun way to make a buck.
...if it weren't for *******es like me, of course.

I admit that I've been harsh toward Deltas. But, and I told him this, it's due to the blue bulbs. He wants me to try them out and see for myself.
Fair enough, right?
I'll put them in the Hella reflectors but all I have is a pigtail adapter. I need a test subject now.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.