Headlight Shootout - Page 6 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

TeraFlex Now at Rockridge 4WD! BEST DEALS around!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kitsENGO QUADLUX 6" to 54" LED AMBER AND WHITE MULTI

Unread 02-21-2011, 02:57 AM   #76
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

They retail for $535 each, no upward bleed, and the camera exaggerates the blueness of the light. In person the light looks very very white, especially from behind the glass.

Here's an important observation that even my wife noticed; they don't blind you as you walk toward them at all. Every other light that I tested had some bit of blinding effect, especially on highbeam. The IPFs were bad enough to make you look totally away and wince ---- I could walk right at these things without flinching.
Which is remarkable when you look at the lux numbers in dead-center; the highest (by far) of all the lights I tested so far, even the Osram bulbs.

But I haven't tested Osrams in Hella reflectors....

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 06:16 AM   #77
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

That was a fun commute to work.

I left earlier than usual so I could hit some podunk dirt roads.
And, right on cue, I had a big deer jump a fence and land smack in the middle of the road in front of me. I saw it as made its leap and hit the brakes hard; got myself a little sideways and missed the beast by a good 15 feet.

I'd say the lights passed the test....

I got to the shop and adjusted the aim higher. The top LED is the lowbeam and I had them aimed thinking that the low LED did that duty. Should look even better tomorrow morning.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:34 AM   #78
Rcubed
2009 JK Wrangler 

Bill,
I am assuming that these were connected to your bypass harness, not the stock harness, correct?
Thanks again for all you great reviews.
Ron
Rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 09:40 AM   #79
Rcubed
2009 JK Wrangler 

BTW,
Those interested in the TruckLites, the best price I have found was $409.99 per pair here:
http://www.discountfleetsupply.com/tlc27250c-p.html
I don't know this company, but definitely aggressive pricing.
R
Rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-21-2011, 11:13 AM   #80
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcubed View Post
Bill,
I am assuming that these were connected to your bypass harness, not the stock harness, correct?
Thanks again for all you great reviews.
Ron
Yes; I used the Rallylights harness and they work flawlessly.
The will pulse slightly if you pigtail them --- same as the Truck-Lites. LEDs are just too good at what they do to be fed PWM power. Some people might not mind the flicker but it would drive me nuts.
Plus, people in front of you in traffic might wig-out and think you were law enforcement or something...

Unread 02-22-2011, 08:50 AM   #81
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey Bill, do you have a wiring diagram for your harness that you are running? I was thinking of doing a harness for the lights to stop the slight flicker I have when stopped. I don't have the lights shutting off or anything like I have seen on youtube, just a slight flicker when the rpms are below 950. The voltage drops just a bit and then the pwm seems to space out the pulses farther.
pator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-22-2011, 11:14 AM   #82
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pator1971 View Post
Hey Bill, do you have a wiring diagram for your harness that you are running? I was thinking of doing a harness for the lights to stop the slight flicker I have when stopped. I don't have the lights shutting off or anything like I have seen on youtube, just a slight flicker when the rpms are below 950. The voltage drops just a bit and then the pwm seems to space out the pulses farther.
You need a male H13 plug to trip a pair of dual relays. Run wires from the passenger side OE plug to the relays (by the battery is a good spot); split them to trip the relays ---- one dual relay gets tripped by the lowbeam circuit, one by the highbeam. Hook fused power from the battery to the relay for the power side and then just run wires off the switched circuit to a pair of H4 female plugs. I'd use 12 gauge wire.

Or just buy one from Rallylights...

Unread 02-22-2011, 07:17 PM   #83
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hilldweller, I e-mailed Stern about the lights and harness and Im patiently waiting for his reply. Are you stating above that the Rallylight harness is better than Sterns? I like the LED lights you have been testing, but I think Im gonna try these due to my financial situation....lol....They are pretty cool looking lights though....
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-23-2011, 03:30 AM   #84
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkers View Post
Hilldweller, I e-mailed Stern about the lights and harness and Im patiently waiting for his reply. Are you stating above that the Rallylight harness is better than Sterns? I like the LED lights you have been testing, but I think Im gonna try these due to my financial situation....lol....They are pretty cool looking lights though....
There's no appreciable difference between the rallylights harness and Dan's. There is an appreciable difference between Hella reflectors and Cibies though.

Unread 02-23-2011, 08:18 AM   #85
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

Does anyody know the frequency of the PWM on the JK headlights? I see no caps on the Rallylights Harness, won't the Relays buzz? what about back EMF when the power is off the relays, don't you need a diode in the system to keep the TIPM alive? Just asking. For I have a slight flicker at 800 rpm, it seems to go away at 950 rpm and I don't notice it on the road, but if I can make this better I will.
Thanks
Unread 02-23-2011, 08:42 AM   #86
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Does anyody know the frequency of the PWM on the JK headlights? I see no caps on the Rallylights Harness, won't the Relays buzz? what about back EMF when the power is off the relays, don't you need a diode in the system to keep the TIPM alive? Just asking. For I have a slight flicker at 800 rpm, it seems to go away at 950 rpm and I don't notice it on the road, but if I can make this better I will.
Thanks
I don't know the frequency but it pulses from about 4.5v to 12.5, give or take.

What lights do you have that are flickering? What kind of harness/relays?
There should be enough voltage to keep a good relay closed.

Unread 02-23-2011, 10:02 AM   #87
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

I am running the The JW Speaker 8700's like you. Directly wired, I just changed the plug to a H4. I have had mine for about a month and a half. They flicker slightly at 850 rpm when idling. The voltage drop is at it worst when down that low. At anything above 950rpm the LED's seem not to mind the PWM. If they flicker I don't notice it on the road. I have never driven into the oncoming light of the JEEP so I don't know if they flicker noticeably on th road. So I was going to try out a harness like you are using, but was wondering about the relays, I know guys using them for HID conversions are having issues with them buzzing due to the PWM. I also worry about the back EMF from Caps needed to keep the relays Locked. So you don't run any caps or diodes or your harness? What relays are you running? Bosch?
I know the circuitry in the Speaker lights is robust and able to work on different voltages; for the DRL's of the Canadian model work. The DRLS just widen the pulse so the High Beam light only sees voltage half the time. If your relays will hold with the PWM then I want a set. I will build up a harness and try that.

On a side note Canada's largest Dodge store is in our Dealership group, I was over there getting some parts and the President of Chrysler Canada saw the LED's in my Jeep. He walked straight over asked about them we talked for half an hour about them and then he took some pics with his phone and emailed them to Detroit. So maybe all Jeeps will get these.
Unread 02-23-2011, 11:27 AM   #88
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
On a side note Canada's largest Dodge store is in our Dealership group, I was over there getting some parts and the President of Chrysler Canada saw the LED's in my Jeep. He walked straight over asked about them we talked for half an hour about them and then he took some pics with his phone and emailed them to Detroit. So maybe all Jeeps will get these.
Cool.

I think the relays are Hella, actually.

Just order a harness from Dan Stern; he's in Canada so it should be affordable for you. Or ping him and order the relays and plugs. He's been watching the same shootout on candlepowerforums and was interested in me expanding the comparison to include more manufacturers.

You'll lose DRL with a harness though; Dan can tell you what to do for that.

Unread 02-25-2011, 09:49 AM   #89
Mol
Disclaimer: I'm Polish

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
They were the brightest in the center of the road so far. Their distance and side illumination fall short of the Z-Beams though ----- but they're LED...
Foreground illumination to the sides is nil for 30 feet or so; strange artifacts in that area too, especially on highbeam.

But it all seems to work when you drive; I never got annoyed by any of it at all.

I like'em enough to keep them in and continue to shake them down for a while. I'll hit a few deer-infested dirt roads tomorrow early.
This being said, in comparison to the rest does the performance justify the price tag? Would you feel the same if you dropped $1,300 ish+ on the whole setup?
Mol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-25-2011, 09:59 AM   #90
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by molshove View Post
This being said, in comparison to the rest does the performance justify the price tag? Would you feel the same if you dropped $1,300 ish+ on the whole setup?
...I sure do like those Z-Beams...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.