Headlight Shootout - Page 5 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

*VOTE NOW Help Metalcloak Giveaway an XJ Suspension*ExtremeTerrain GROUP BUY: Barricade Rear Bumpers/Tire CarrComponent speaker deal for your dash - NalinMFG

Unread 02-17-2011, 04:54 PM   #61
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

I still have some other pictures to post and I am going to meet up with DocJake at some point hopefully this weekend (I got your PM - this week was nuts at work).

Jerry - I echo Hilldweller, I certainly don't hate the lights. In fact, I am keeping them in and want to get a hold of a relay harness (I should just make one to go along with the harness I currently make heh) to see how they perform that way.

I'd also REALLY be interested in some factory fog LED replacements - you guys should look into something to fill that void as well.

That being said, I know you guys have put in a TON of work and research into the lens design of the 27250C, but I feel as if there is still too much of a hot spot - if you can somehow manage to make the horizontal cutoff that bright all the way across (SW Speaker has the right idea with a projector type lens) this would be a different conversation.

I am certainly interested in this long term and really REALLY appreciate the opportunity to test these lights out. I cannot even begin to tell you how many people have asked me about them since last weekend. Which, well - is the idea

Current Mods:
.::Fabtech 3" Lift with Dirt Logics
.::Pro Comp 17" 7005 Wheels
.::Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35x12.5R17 Tires
.::PIAA Windshield Light Brackets
.::PIAA 5296 520 ATP Lights
.::Rugged Ridge Light Bar
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Flood Lights
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
.::Truck-Lite 4" LED Spot Lights
.::Katzkin Leather with Seat Heaters
.::20% tint
.::Optima Yellow Top
.::6" Shorty Antenna[/SIZE][/B]
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:35 PM   #62
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

NOT as easy to install as the Truck-Lites at all.

Teaser shot:

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:41 PM   #63
saceone

^^looking tight!!!
saceone is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:49 PM   #64
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Oh man, I am waiting for this!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 01:56 PM   #65
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Gotta wait 'til it's dark.
My wife just loaded a movie upstairs in the theater to kill some time.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 02-20-2011, 02:20 PM   #66
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Can't wait to see the night shots. In the meantime I'll grab some popcorn and join you and your wife IN THE THEATER
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 03:21 PM   #67
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks good Hill.

Can't wait to see the output. They don't look as bad
As I pictured - wish I had a set too

Current Mods:
.::Fabtech 3" Lift with Dirt Logics
.::Pro Comp 17" 7005 Wheels
.::Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35x12.5R17 Tires
.::PIAA Windshield Light Brackets
.::PIAA 5296 520 ATP Lights
.::Rugged Ridge Light Bar
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Flood Lights
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
.::Truck-Lite 4" LED Spot Lights
.::Katzkin Leather with Seat Heaters
.::20% tint
.::Optima Yellow Top
.::6" Shorty Antenna[/SIZE][/B]
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 03:32 PM   #68
Rcubed
2009 JK Wrangler 

Talk about anticipation...
Hope our expectations are surpassed.

Ron
Rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:30 PM   #69
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Ok, the Daytona 500 is over, it HAS to be getting dark now. GET TO WORK!!!!! Gah! I can't wait.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 02-20-2011, 04:45 PM   #70
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJK View Post
... I'll grab some popcorn and join you and your wife IN THE THEATER
Monsters ---- pretty cool movie. 7.1 DTS audio. Not your typical b-movie type fodder.

The sun is setting; I'll be out soon to check the spread and throw.

A big thank-you to Stumpy, Mrs Stumpy, baby Stumpette, and Stumpy's Garage for the right tool to put these dang things in. His cutting bit ate through the composite material in about a minute.

Here's his home-built camping trailer and XJ on the right, btw. Just showcasing the fab skills.

Unread 02-20-2011, 06:07 PM   #71
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Some numbers for the JW Speaker model 8700 7" round LEDs:

Ambient temperature 55 degrees F; lens temperature 69 degrees F

Lowbeam value in blue, high in red.

LUX at 25 feet, sensor moved to highest output spot. 630/1139

25 yards Right: 48/86 * Left: 16/17

50 yards Right: 6/30 * Left: 1/5

75 yards Right: 1/9 * Left: 1/3

They were the brightest in the center of the road so far. Their distance and side illumination fall short of the Z-Beams though ----- but they're LED...
Foreground illumination to the sides is nil for 30 feet or so; strange artifacts in that area too, especially on highbeam.

But it all seems to work when you drive; I never got annoyed by any of it at all.

I like'em enough to keep them in and continue to shake them down for a while. I'll hit a few deer-infested dirt roads tomorrow early.

Pics:

Lowbeam

Highbeam

and the first Lowbeam plus stock fogs

Unread 02-20-2011, 06:36 PM   #72
yoda13
Force Wheeler

2007 JK Wrangler 

Wow, those look much better than I thought during the daytime and they look pretty awesome at night too...I am going to have to do something to replace my stock lighting now that I have dumped my stock bumper and fogs...these lights are not the greatest...but I don't think I want to drop a grand on the lights...
2007 White Jeep Wrangler X-auto, black freedom top, 15x8 Pro Comp Rock Crawlers, 33x12.5x15 BFG KM2s, Superchips Flashpaq, 2" OME Spring Lift, Bilsteins, Rusty's Adjustable front and rear trac-bar, JKS Quicker Disconnects, Rusty's adjustable lower control arms (front and rear), PolyPerformance adjustable upper control arms (front and rear), OEM Rubicon Rock Rails, Finishlinewest Stonehenge Series rear bumper, Smittybuilt winch, Body Armor Front High Clearance Bumper w/ KC Highlights mounted, Roadmaster towbar, Valley 2" receiver hitch, Skid Row Engine Transmission skid, sPod switching system, KC Highlights windshield mounted lights, Delta replacement non-quadbar xenon headlamps, and Bestop saddlebags-Member of the United Four Wheel Drive Association and Blue Ribbon Coalition, †John 3:16†

RIP Mrs. yoda13... My life is better for having had you in it and you made me a better man...I can't wait to see you again...I love you always and forever, and for all eternity

If you want to help the sport of off-roading, and protect your right to do so, please visit the Envirobeat
forum...

yoda13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:17 PM   #73
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Wow. Very bright. Do they appear blue in person, or just in the pics? Are the small patches of blue a side effect of LED?

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:22 PM   #74
dgrinnell
2014 JK Wrangler 

Those are nice! How much do they run$?
dgrinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2011, 07:25 PM   #75
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Also, how are they for upward light bleed? I am concerned that with how bright they are, they would blind the livin' daylights outta ya in rain, fog, snow?

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.