Headlight Shootout - Page 46 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-18-2013, 07:23 PM   #676
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopar Fan View Post
Are they? I see far more Truck-Lite Phase 6 and 7s on buses than I do JKs.

They also work in TJs, CJs, FSJs, and a multitude of other non-Jeep vehicles that don't require any additional components.
Just offhand 4WheelParts and QTec both have them 2007-2013 JK specific.

LVCapo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:20 PM   #677
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

^That's how those sites are marketing them, not necessarily Truck-Lite. On non-Jeep sites I haven't seen them targeted at the Jeep crowd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dstocks View Post
Why people keep blaming Trucklite for the JK's electronics is beyond me.
Because (and I'm still waiting for someone to cut one open to confirm) there's probably $5 in Radio Shack parts in these things. I blame Jeep too, for what it's worth.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 09:39 PM   #678
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
^That's how those sites are marketing them, not necessarily Truck-Lite. On non-Jeep sites I haven't seen them targeted at the Jeep crowd.
Wait, so Truck-Lite just sends these retailers parts and the retailer is supposed to figure out what they go to? Ummmmm, no......let me also add that TL tests extensively and knows issues under various applications.......and how long have they been promising a fix? It was supposed to be November and we are just now seeing it in July. And its not like Jeep just changed their electrical system

Quote:
Originally Posted by Godholio View Post
Because (and I'm still waiting for someone to cut one open to confirm) there's probably $5 in Radio Shack parts in these things. I blame Jeep too, for what it's worth.
Unfortunately its typical for what we have to deal with....$700 tailgate hinge....$400 3/8" transmission skid, $150 replacement bolt kit....etc
Unread 07-18-2013, 10:54 PM   #679
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

If you were an early purchaser maybe, you could be upset. But remember not all JKs have the issue. I knew there was a flicker when I bought mine, I knew a $160 dollar harness would fix it, if it bothered me. Now I know $70 will fix it.

[COLOR="red"][B]For Sale:[/B][/COLOR] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f129/jk-4dr-black-painted-hard-top-1000-a-1541186/"][COLOR="Blue"]2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top[/COLOR][/URL] [URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f127/jkur-18-59-springs-shocks-1557427/"][COLOR="Purple"]JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks[/COLOR][/URL]

[SIZE="1"][B]97 TJ:[/B] daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
[B]98 TJ:[/B] Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
[B]06 LJ Rubicon:[/B] mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
[B]13 JKU Rubicon:[/B] Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs[/SIZE]
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-18-2013, 11:22 PM   #680
LVCapo
The Voice of Reason

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
If you were an early purchaser maybe, you could be upset. But remember not all JKs have the issue. I knew there was a flicker when I bought mine, I knew a $160 dollar harness would fix it, if it bothered me. Now I know $70 will fix it.
Early purchaser? I don't see any andendum on the TL site about the issue, nor anything in their marketing blurbs at retailers.....don't take for granted everyone reads our rambling s here. I don't really care about the flicker, I can live with it.....but lets not be naive...I've given examples to the two major Offroad retailers and there's no disclaimer on either for a product specifically marketed toward the JK.....I just think it's a little dumb to blame Jeep
Unread 07-19-2013, 05:34 AM   #681
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

It's the Jeep's CANBUS that causes the flicker. That is not Truck Lites problem in so far as they don't have a say in the manufacture of the Jeep. However, I do agree that since this is a well documented issue, it should be disclosed when purchasing the headlights for a Jeep and a price increase with the anti-flicker dongle included would be a good move, IMO.
I'm not mad because the Truck Lite headlights have the flicker, I'm a bit angry that there was not more information from Truck Lite on the release of the anti-flicker dongle. I had quite a few PMs with the Truck Lite Rep and was told I would be contacted when he had info about the release of the dongle. So far, crickets...

So, I'm back to the question, go with the SMS harness and spend a few more $'s but feed the headlights directly from the battery or save a few bucks and get the Truck Lite dongle. I'd like to save money but if the SMS harness is a true fix and the dongle a band-aid (not saying it is but I don't know what it does to get rid of the flicker. Capacitors?), I'll get the harness.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:08 AM   #682
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capper5016 View Post
Wait, so Truck-Lite just sends these retailers parts and the retailer is supposed to figure out what they go to? Ummmmm, no......let me also add that TL tests extensively and knows issues under various applications.......and how long have they been promising a fix? It was supposed to be November and we are just now seeing it in July. And its not like Jeep just changed their electrical system
No, Truck-Lite probably has a list of everything out there that'll accept a standard 7" round light...these exact lights are "targeted" at a bunch of motorcycles, too. But if you go to JC Whitney or Summit or something, you're not going to see "Truck-Lite LED for Jeep Wrangler JK." On a site where you can search by vehicle it should come up because technically yes it fits and works. Jeep did change the CANBUS system in the past couple of years. I'm totally with you on the delay though...if it's not a priority that's fine, but don't act like it's a few weeks away then sit on your thumb for 7 months.[/quote]

Quote:
Unfortunately its typical for what we have to deal with....$700 tailgate hinge....$400 3/8" transmission skid, $150 replacement bolt kit....etc
This is why mine is still in stock form. Not a good economy for a hobby like this.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-19-2013, 11:43 AM   #683
Walle
Soccer Mom and Jeep Hater

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
It's the Jeep's CANBUS that causes the flicker. That is not Truck Lites problem in so far as they don't have a say in the manufacture of the Jeep. However, I do agree that since this is a well documented issue, it should be disclosed when purchasing the headlights for a Jeep and a price increase with the anti-flicker dongle included would be a good move, IMO.
I'm not mad because the Truck Lite headlights have the flicker, I'm a bit angry that there was not more information from Truck Lite on the release of the anti-flicker dongle. I had quite a few PMs with the Truck Lite Rep and was told I would be contacted when he had info about the release of the dongle. So far, crickets...

So, I'm back to the question, go with the SMS harness and spend a few more $'s but feed the headlights directly from the battery or save a few bucks and get the Truck Lite dongle. I'd like to save money but if the SMS harness is a true fix and the dongle a band-aid (not saying it is but I don't know what it does to get rid of the flicker. Capacitors?), I'll get the harness.
It is the Jeep CANBUS system that causes the flicker. These are universal lights, but some companies do tailor them to JK owners. I purchased the SMS Harness, and it fixed the flicker. Before I start typing...I haven't read the recent posts...and I do apologize bc I did say I was going to do a write-up, but I have not. But here is my $0.02.

So, the stock head lamp wiring harness provides approximately a little less than 11 volts to the head lamps controlled by the PWM, which can vary bc the PWM is controlled by a computer. The JK at idle produces approximately 14.3 volts. So the stock head lamp does not receive the same amount of power with the PWM as it would, if it were connected directly to the battery. More than 4 volts less. That is why you don't see the flicker in other vehicles...they don't have the PWM.

The power to the head lamps is controlled by 1s and 0s. For you computer nerds, like myself, you know that is on and off. This allows for smaller gauge wiring and other good stuff. There are many advantages for the PWM, but that is for a different thread. Bc the PWM is controlling the amount of power to the head lamps, it is constantly monitoring the power drawn by the head lamps and using the 1s and 0s to control the power flow. The TruckLites use much less power to operate but are very responsive to the 1s and 0s, which allows you to see the flicker. So the SMS harness connects directly to the battery and to the TruckLites. With the direct connection of the SMS harness to the battery - the TruckLites recieve a constant flow of power - ~13.1 volts. The SMS harness eliminates the PWM from controlling the power to the head lamps (rids the 1s and 0s) eliminating the flicker.

I know TruckLite just released their 'fix'. It is a pigtail with a relay. Only time will tell, if their fix is a true fix. Here is a pic of it:

For those of you that want some more info on the PWN... Here is a good read.
Walle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:44 PM   #684
huckfinn
2012 JK Wrangler 

I see this thread had not been very active lately. Has anyone else tried the Truck-Lite Anti-Flicker adapters? Long-term result?

I need to do something about the poor stock headlights and after reading through this entire thread it seems the Truck-Lites are a good match for my needs and budget. I am concerned about the snow build-up, but we have not had too many of the really wet snow storms recently so for 99% of the year it should not be a problem. I don't have the budget for a full harness and loads of lights, so this seems like a good, easy starting point.
huckfinn is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:48 PM   #685
dstocks
2013 JK Wrangler 

I've had the anti-flicker adapters since they came out. Still working fine, no issues.

The Truck lites are one of the best upgrades I have done.
Auto, 4.10, ARB On-board air, Goodyear DuraTrac 285/70/17 on AEV Pintlers, sPod w/Aeroforce, Trucklite HLs, Rigid D2's, Vector JKE Dock AEV 2.5" lift, ARB Deluxe Bull Bar, ARB rear bumper. Superwinch EPi9.0s, 20" LED light bar, Dual Batteries, Gobi Stealth.
dstocks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 12:50 PM   #686
huckfinn
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick response, now to convince the wife...
Unread 11-14-2013, 01:35 PM   #687
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

I installed the truck Lites about a month ago with the anti flicker harness. No flicker whatsoever. Half second delay when turning off the high beams.

That being said, the truck Lites are nice but over hyped I think. Better than stock, but they aren't perfect. Mine were cross eyed when installed which is insanely annoying, so I had to tweak stuff a bit to get them aimed straight ahead. Low beams aren't super bright, high beams are great.

I then installed JW speaker fog lights I picked up for $315 shipped, and they seem brighter than the truck lite head lights, sharp cutoff and great full light. I aimed mine almost like low beams and they rock. The truck lite high beams take over on the long distance stuff.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-14-2013, 02:34 PM   #688
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

No issues with the the adapters so far. Nice lights.
Unread 11-14-2013, 03:31 PM   #689
huckfinn
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for all the feedback. I will be looking to order a pair of the Truck-lites with the anti-flicker adapters.

Now my next question - the fog lights. From reading through this thread there are a couple key points...

-With good headlights you do not need fogs.

-Most people supplement the lighting by either replacing the fogs or just adding other lighting.

Has any one tried an LED version of the PSX24W bulb? I ran across this link when searching for a Philips Xtreme version of the stock bulb.

http://www.kbcarstuff.com/PSX24W-250...s-s/283797.htm

For the fogs I am assuming there is not much focusing going on as you want a wide spread of light so maybe these would be ok.
Unread 11-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #690
mrwhipple
2012 JK Wrangler 

I had similar ones I bought from rebel, they didn't do much.

Wound up replacing the fogs with new units, the round vision-x fogs. Much better output & go well with the truck lites.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.