Headlight Shootout - Page 43 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

End of Summer Sale, 20% OFF!2007 - 2011 Jeep JK Long Arm Lift KitsIntroducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 04-12-2013, 02:42 PM   #631
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

Since I got grilled more or less for making a new thread about what brands of HIDs people buy, I'll post in here to ask...what brands do people usually buy? I read about a brand called Rebel Offroad on another forum but their entire plug and play kit is $199.95 which is still cheaper than Truk-Lites or those hideous Speaker ones. Opinions on the brand or any ideas on other brands?

Thanks,
- Kenny-g

Kenny-g is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 03:33 PM   #632
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

HIDs in a HID projector housing are fine, but they should not be put into the OEM housing.

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 06:09 PM   #633
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny-g View Post
Since I got grilled more or less for making a new thread about what brands of HIDs people buy, I'll post in here to ask...what brands do people usually buy? I read about a brand called Rebel Offroad on another forum but their entire plug and play kit is $199.95 which is still cheaper than Truk-Lites or those hideous Speaker ones. Opinions on the brand or any ideas on other brands?

Thanks,
- Kenny-g
Baja Designs makes some HIDs but I don't think for headlight applications.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:16 PM   #634
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny-g View Post

Thanks,
- Kenny-g
i guarantee security forces will stop you if they cross paths with you at night if you have a HID lamp in a OEM housing

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-12-2013, 07:57 PM   #635
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

Yea that's true. Supposedly the Rebel Offroad ones don't get shot out everywhere since they're actually made for the stock JK housing ones. I'm doing the research. Thanks

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-13-2013, 07:39 AM   #636
ItsMeKO3
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well I was going to keep my mouth shut so I don't get ripped on but I have the Rebel HID kit in mine. I wasn't going to do it because like most I don't like HID's in stock housings. After I saw Doc's review in the shootout I said I'd give them a shot. Another member on another forum was selling his set that he's had for a few months so I got it pretty cheap. I said if I don't like it I can sell it and get my money back. It is 10x better than stock lighting and the cutoff is not as bad as I expected. Clearly its not as good as a retrofit or Trucklites/JW's, but with them aimed down they don't seem to be blinding. I have not had anyone flash me (I know, just bc they don't flash doesn't mean it's not blinding), and I have driven past my Jeep in another vehicle. You can give them a shot and if you decide you don't like them, you could easily sell them for what you paid. There are a lot of guys out there that want them. Just my .02
Unread 04-13-2013, 10:04 AM   #637
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the quick review...I'm gonna save for a few months and get them I think.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:18 AM   #638
mosports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
Can anyone with the SMS harness verify for me. It looks like it just two relays that feed direct battery power? For over $130 dollars I can make that pretty easily for a lot less?
The CANbus system puts out a pulsed signal, which is what causes flicker in an LED lamp. It will also cause a relay to chatter and burn up.

My guy Ray developed some circuitry that flattens out the signal so we can use relays. He used to build industrial controls and he only know one way to build a harness, the right way.

We use wire from a US manufacturer that is jacketed, the connectors are ceramic so heat is never a problem, the Relays are from Hella and every connection is crimped and soldered.

We use a male H13 connector to plug into the vehicle headlamp wiring for signals so the harness is plug and play, no cutting into the factory wiring.

Regards,
Dave
Susquehanna Motorsports
mosports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:27 AM   #639
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mosports

The CANbus system puts out a pulsed signal, which is what causes flicker in an LED lamp. It will also cause a relay to chatter and burn up.

My guy Ray developed some circuitry that flattens out the signal so we can use relays. He used to build industrial controls and he only know one way to build a harness, the right way.

We use wire from a US manufacturer that is jacketed, the connectors are ceramic so heat is never a problem, the Relays are from Hella and every connection is crimped and soldered.

We use a male H13 connector to plug into the vehicle headlamp wiring for signals so the harness is plug and play, no cutting into the factory wiring.

Regards,
Dave
Susquehanna Motorsports
Kinda like this one I have that works fantastic

http://www.tlg-auto.com/JEEP_JK_Wran..._p/jeep001.htm
bubbajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 12:29 AM   #640
mosports

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I really wish the Hellas didn't look so Terrible

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
We have had some trim rings chrome plated and it makes a big difference in appearance. The chrome blends in with the chrome already in the lamp. We are trying to get some photos together.

Regards,
Dave Sekella
Susquehanna Motorsports
WWW.rallylights.com
601-944-3233
mosports is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:20 AM   #641
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

It's not the color, its the shape. They're boobs

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-15-2013, 06:36 AM   #642
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
It's not the color, its the shape. They're boobs

Hmmm, I like boobs!
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 10:03 AM   #643
mjpks

HIDs are not legal in my state and blind the other drives. I went with trucklites and they are an improvement over factory they arent perfect though they have wierd bright spots. Fit and finish is very nice and hi beams are a great improvement. I got mine with ridge driving lights and mounts if factory holes. The rigid lights are amazing brighter and aimed better than the truck lites. The combination of the too is the best lighting a car could have.

Last edited by mjpks; 04-16-2013 at 12:23 PM..
mjpks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-16-2013, 11:42 AM   #644
Kenny-g
2013 JK Wrangler 

You mean Rigid Industries? Lights? Their Duallys?
Unread 04-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #645
mjpks

Yes sorry about the spelling.
They are D2s
mjpks is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.