Headlight Shootout - Page 40 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-07-2013, 07:20 PM   #586
jfive
dos heeps

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajk View Post
I think it's a great that people use this as a reason not to buy them. Here in Minnesota we get our asses out and clean off the ice and snow buildup regardless LED or halogen
Same here in the mountains of Colorado. I don't have to clean my LED speaker lights and more than the factory lights on my Ram 2500. The JW Speakers I have use a fan to blow hot air off the heat sink onto the front lens.

'88 YJ
jfive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:46 PM   #587
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbajk

I live on the Canadian line so must be a hell of a difference that much farther north!!
Where abouts? I live above the Canadian line, probably a couple hundred miles north of you, but I also travel 2-300 miles north of here as well.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 07:51 PM   #588
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfive

Same here in the mountains of Colorado. I don't have to clean my LED speaker lights and more than the factory lights on my Ram 2500. The JW Speakers I have use a fan to blow hot air off the heat sink onto the front lens.
I have heard good things about the older version JW Speaker unfortunately the new version no longer has the fan.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:08 PM   #589
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto

Where abouts? I live above the Canadian line, probably a couple hundred miles north of you, but I also travel 2-300 miles north of here as well.
I lived for several years in Bemidji, Blackduck area. I current reside farther south now.
bubbajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:19 PM   #590
TJeep32
2009 JK Wrangler 

My jeep

20130307_141350-1.jpg

20130124_224045-2.jpg

20130124_224140-1.jpg

Sent from my GS2 using JeepForum
TJeep32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 06:58 AM   #591
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Tease shots:

Hella 90mm HIDs... drool drool drool

I reached out to a couple of friends to test these two products; all of my buddies with JKs that are in the area are already running upgraded lights.

I got Rob to purchase the 90mm Hella HID kit from Rallylights (thanks for the discount Dave!!!) to install in his 1987 60-series Land Cruiser and Mikey is running the JWS driving lights on his D90 until they get raffled off in September (proceeds going to Habitat For Humanity). Mike will likely buy them after seeing what they can do.

Big thanks to my friends Mike and Annette Holbrook at Wolfbrook for lending us a very dark and quiet field on their property to test these lights!
Wolfbrook is where we trained my dog Jessi; Mike & Annette taught us how to speak dog and take her from rescue-dog to Wundermutt.
I still have to compile data on this but the lights are sweet.

And speaking of sweet, have you ever seen a D90 with lights that were exceptional? I mean that really really worked?
And hardly used any amperage?
Well, looky at this. Mike's D90 with Trucklite Phase 7 headlights and JW Speaker's TS3000R (flamethrower) driving lights.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:23 AM   #592
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I really wish the Hellas didn't look so Terrible

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:32 AM   #593
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
I really wish the Hellas didn't look so Terrible...
Look with them, not at them.
Then they look great!

You can't see them at all when it's important, when you're driving. At night. When it's dark out.
What you can see is the road --- and the deer --- and the pot-holes, small children, rocks, zombies, etc.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 03-18-2013, 07:57 AM   #594
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

I don't disagree, but I'd rather build a retrofit into a stock housing with 90mm than it be a boobie light. It just looks really cheap and poorly done. I don't doubt that it performs

I wouldn't even be considering HIDs if these damn trucklites melted snow worth a ****

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:06 AM   #595
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I don't disagree, but I'd rather build a retrofit into a stock housing with 90mm than it be a boobie light. ...
That would render it illegal and reduce the performance though.
You can't put an additional lense in front of it legally ---- and that's what is done when you retrofit an otherwise legal projector into a stock housing.

Law enforcement is catching onto the retro game and is cracking down. I know of at least one officer and department that pays attention to candlepowerforum's automotive section and knows what is what.

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:07 AM   #596
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Again I don't disagree, just saying

I have trucklites because they're legal. I just hate them because they won't melt snow and the JW speakers look like a bag of ***

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #597
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6

I have trucklites because they're legal. I just hate them because they won't melt snow and the JW speakers look like a bag of ***

Agreed on the jw speakers. I'm all about function but they just look too hideous to consider.
Eventually I'll go with the truck lites and just swap the stockers in occasionally if I had to. My stock head lights accumulate with wet snow anyway since they are so weak.
brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-18-2013, 08:30 AM   #598
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Yeah, I hear that alot. Some people think the JWS 8700 is a work of art, some think it's garish.
I hated them at first and then found that I liked them ---- science fiction looking...

I'm not saying that I like looking at the 90mm Hella at all. I am saying that I like looking with them though. The distribution of light from the HID projector is about as close to perfect as it gets. I mean, not a single hot-spot at 100 yards. It was the very definition of smooth.

Unread 03-18-2013, 08:52 AM   #599
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Id love for an HID projector setup, I really truly would. But I appreciate form as much as function, and it just looks too blegh for it to go on my jeep. It looks like it belongs on the FJ62 - but not on my jeep unfortunately.

Unread 03-19-2013, 05:21 AM   #600
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Wish the pics came out better, as usual.
But, from a completely objective standpoint, it was the absolute smoothest spread of light I've seen from a set of lights that can go on a JK. No hot-spots.
The only strangeness or artifacts you'll see are from things in their path creating shadows.
They were like velvet.

You probably already know where to get them, but here's the link.

90mm HID lowbeam

highbeam

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.