Headlight Shootout - Page 4 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Premium LED Lighting by VISION X, Proudly sold at ROCKRIDGGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 02-15-2011, 12:31 PM   #46
2008fx4
2011 JK Wrangler 

awesome write-up. looks like i'll be upgrading from the ipfs to the z-beams with a harness when i get back. i told you id be paying attention to your findings!!

2008fx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 09:50 AM   #47
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I'm going to try out a set of JW Speaker model 8700s soon. I'm really excited; LEDs are awesome.

John from Speaker tells me that they've incorporated a small fan into the housing that circulates some of the LED heat to the lens to keep snow/ice from accumulating; clever. And look at that photometry; talk about an even spread...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 10:44 AM   #48
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller
I'm going to try out a set of JW Speaker model 8700s soon. I'm really excited; LEDs are awesome.

John from Speaker tells me that they've incorporated a small fan into the housing that circulates some of the LED heat to the lens to keep snow/ice from accumulating; clever. And look at that photometry; talk about an even spread...
Sweet!

I just wish they looked like a normal projector. They are not very appeasing to the eye.

Current Mods:
.::Fabtech 3" Lift with Dirt Logics
.::Pro Comp 17" 7005 Wheels
.::Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35x12.5R17 Tires
.::PIAA Windshield Light Brackets
.::PIAA 5296 520 ATP Lights
.::Rugged Ridge Light Bar
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Flood Lights
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
.::Truck-Lite 4" LED Spot Lights
.::Katzkin Leather with Seat Heaters
.::20% tint
.::Optima Yellow Top
.::6" Shorty Antenna[/SIZE][/B]
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 11:12 AM   #49
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTHIS View Post
Sweet!

I just wish they looked like a normal projector. They are not very appeasing to the eye.
I like the way they look; they remind me of the HAL-9000 computer...

click the pic

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:19 PM   #50
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post

I've googled the 8700's and can't find any retailers that carry them. Could you point me in the right direction?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
talk about an even spread...
Indeed!

2009 Wrangler JK Deep Water Blue 2/door, Auto Soft Top
Automatic/3.73
2.5" RC Coils/1" MORE-BL/3/4" Levellers/Skyjacker Hydros Shocks/JKS 2" Bumps
17" AEV Argent Pintlers/34.4" GY Duratracs
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Bumpers, locking ends, grill loop
JKS Links/XHD Modular Bumpers/Locking End Units
SB-XCR8 Winch

http://theadirondoc.blogspot.com
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:32 PM   #51
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJake View Post
I've googled the 8700's and can't find any retailers that carry them. Could you point me in the right direction?
I'm pretty sure that you can get them from Harley dealers.

JW Speaker is working on having them at off-road oriented stores as well. We spoke today about the possibility of them at 4WheelParts ---- that way you could have them installed there too if you wanted; I'm thinking that some people might shy away from cutting the buckets behind their lights.

I googled and found them for higher than retail at a big-truck shop. Retail is $535 each.

Unread 02-16-2011, 01:45 PM   #52
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hey guys you will love these lights. They work very well, I am really impressed with the output and the pattern. You will love like them Hilldweller.
pator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 01:53 PM   #53
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys. So in effect, although they're LED, they're leagues better than the TL's we've been discussing? I'd just about given up on LED altogether..but this changes things....

2009 Wrangler JK Deep Water Blue 2/door, Auto Soft Top
Automatic/3.73
2.5" RC Coils/1" MORE-BL/3/4" Levellers/Skyjacker Hydros Shocks/JKS 2" Bumps
17" AEV Argent Pintlers/34.4" GY Duratracs
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Bumpers, locking ends, grill loop
JKS Links/XHD Modular Bumpers/Locking End Units
SB-XCR8 Winch

http://theadirondoc.blogspot.com
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 02:56 PM   #54
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJake View Post
Thanks guys. So in effect, although they're LED, they're leagues better than the TL's we've been discussing? I'd just about given up on LED altogether..but this changes things....
Just proof you get what you pay for. At $500+ a light (not a pair) they better be better lights!
Unread 02-16-2011, 03:02 PM   #55
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Please hurry up. I am like Ralphies kid brother on Christams morning.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:35 PM   #56
TruckLite
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hello all. I'm glad to see Hilldweller's & MikeThis's investigations (and another on the way), and think they're well-deserving of a pat on the back for their efforts. We provided some lamps in hopes that the forum could get a feel for the product, and the group of users could provide their own feedback. I'm still trying to leave the conversation to the public, but I can talk to a few points...

The pattern of the light output is a result of the lamp design, and it's the nature of refraction optics. We've worked to try and spread the pattern, and really feel the 27250C does the best job of it for the technology. We actually tried to reach areas that a reflector beam doesn't, and put the light where it best seemed needed. I would agree that many HID and bulb-operated lamps can create cleaner-spread output, but as an attractive LED alternative, it's a product we're excited about. We're steadfast in the belief that the white, bulb-less, lower-draw technology is worth the development, and the headlamp is an obvious application for it. This is our solution.

As it comes to off-road lighting, we do recognize the need for added light, and mate these lamps with a line of matching flood, spot and utility lamps, trying not to rely solely in the headlight.

Again, our hopes were to provide a contact for everyone, educate on our product, and try to avoid any misconceptions about it's design. I really think the guys have done a great service for everyone, and appreciate the interest in the lamps. We'll be here to answer any questions, and encourage them. Please also feel free to use our technical support line if you have any technical questions. We're staffed to help.

Thanks again for the support and interest everyone.
Jerry Lee
TruckLite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-16-2011, 04:42 PM   #57
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Good points, Jerry.
I don't want anybody thinking that I dislike the Truck-Lites ---- if my Jeep weren't a daily driver and saw more severe trail use, they'd be my first choice.
They're better than the stockers, tough as nails, and never need a bulb.

Z-Beams with Osrams might yield better gobs of light ---- but, to level the playing field, the cost of admission to the party is reoccurring. My beloved Osram bulbs are $45 (including shipping) every 6 months or so. Add that to the Z's $222 price tag + harness and shipping. It adds up.
You buy the Truck-Lites or JW Speaker lights one time and then put them in your new Jeep after the old one rusts away...
That's pretty neat.

Unread 02-16-2011, 07:11 PM   #58
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys for all the work involved to do this write up, and thank you to the companies that donated lights, also nice to see that company comment and acknowledge the work and results......good way to go about things....!!! Thanks again guys, the DS kit is still appealing, and like someone said...you get what you pay for I guess right?
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:24 AM   #59
51M38
2011 JK Wrangler 

HAL-9000 computer: I don't know where you got that, and it dates both of us, but I did laugh out loud. The bezel is so 60's with the chrome surround and gold mesh grille. I can almost hear "I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do".

I wish we could select Hal as the voice for the audible control system.

Thanks
51M38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-17-2011, 06:40 AM   #60
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 51M38 View Post
HAL-9000 computer: I don't know where you got that, and it dates both of us, but I did laugh out loud. The bezel is so 60's with the chrome surround and gold mesh grille. I can almost hear "I think you know what the problem is just as well as I do".

I wish we could select Hal as the voice for the audible control system.

Thanks
Click

My PC at work talks to me in HAL's voice.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.