Headlight Shootout - Page 39 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 01-21-2013, 11:21 AM   #571
brianjw
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjpks
I feel the same way its the same harness as the one that came with my TLs but it has two two dollar capcitors
I wouldn't think it would take much to put together your own harness with capacitors to smooth out the signal to the relay.

So the JW speakers have moving parts in them? A fan? Never heard that before!

brianjw is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-21-2013, 12:40 PM   #572
BadTrainDriver
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfive View Post
The JW Speakers have a fan to blow air off the heat sink onto the glass.
Had.
The new "Evolution" series don't anymore.
Unread 01-25-2013, 09:47 PM   #573
mjpks

I have TLs and dont have a problem with snow or ice build up. The dirt and road grime does however decrease the light output and it seem more noticeable over stock lights. I may add washers to keep them clean

Last edited by mjpks; 01-26-2013 at 12:02 PM..
mjpks is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2013, 09:59 AM   #574
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Any word on the anti-flicker dongle? I thought we might hear something around the end of January.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:45 AM   #575
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have had a pair of Trucklite Phase 7 headlights for about a year now, and when I bought them I specifically asked about their performance in snow. I had heard about other LED lights allowing the build up of snow on their lenses due to the lack of heat they put out while operating — the consenses was that it wouldn't be a problem. Well, it is.

I think it's a combination of their relatively flat lens with the lack of heat output (which is light energy lost, I know: inefficient), but I got to test this out during some wet snow the past two "storms" we've had in MD, including today, and it's definitely something worth noting. Dry, champange powder like out west? Not a problem, as it'll just sluff off the light's cold surface. But wet, buildable snow WILL accumulate on the lens surface, defracting light that's very evident at night with the spread of light aimed upwards with no cutoff whatsoever. I was even catching glimpses of faces of the drivers of oncoming traffic ... I'm sure they didn't appreciate it.

Some older LED designs incorporated a heat fan to circulate some of the heat from the LED heatsinks to the lens do remedy this ... for right now, I'm stuck cleaning of the lenses every 10 minutes of driving, or so.

Food for thought. I will say that I'm 100% satisfied with them in all other aspects a light can be judged on, but driving in east coast snow (wet) is not one of them.
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:57 AM   #576
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by C2U5H View Post
I have had a pair of Trucklite Phase 7 headlights for about a year now, and when I bought them I specifically asked about their performance in snow. I had heard about other LED lights allowing the build up of snow on their lenses due to the lake of heat they put out while operating the consenses was that it wouldn't be a problem. Well, it is.

I think it's a combination of their relatively flat lens with the lack of heat output (which is light energy lost, I know: inefficient), but I got to test this out during some wet snow the past two "storms" we've had in MD, including today, and it's definitely something worth noting. Dry, champange powder like out west? Not a problem, as it'll just sluff off the light's cold surface. But wet, buildable snow WILL accumulate on the lens surface, defracting light that's very evident at night with the spread of light aimed upwards with no cutoff whatsoever. I was even catching glimpses of faces of the drivers of oncoming traffic ... I'm sure they didn't appreciate it.

Some older LED designs incorporated a heat fan to circulate some of the heat from the LED heatsinks to the lens do remedy this ... for right now, I'm stuck cleaning of the lenses every 10 minutes of driving, or so.

Food for thought. I will say that I'm 100% satisfied with them in all other aspects a light can be judged on, but driving in east coast snow (wet) is not one of them.
I have experienced the same. (I live in Maryland so I was driving in the mess this morning )
I have to say that I didn't see a huge difference between my Truck-lites and the other plastic lens headlights though. They seems to be caked with the wet snow as well (maybe just a bit less though).

In any case, it is an issue.
MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 09:19 AM   #577
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Yes, unfortunately that is the downside of LED lights including taillights which are hard enough to keep snow free even with regular bulbs.
All that extra light doesn't do much good if it can't get through the snow.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:22 PM   #578
C2U5H
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
Yes, unfortunately that is the downside of LED lights including taillights which are hard enough to keep snow free even with regular bulbs.
Yeah, it's a shame. But that's how technology grows. Sheesh, I mean if snow/ice build up is the only real problem of modern LED lighting (other than the artifacts that are inherent with the square LED design), then we're doing pretty good.

Stinks that it's taken a year to figure out this problem for myself, though, as we haven't had much snow in north/central MD in the past two years. I don't know what kind of testing Truck-Lite did with the new units, but most of their snow testing must've been out west because there's no way they would've deemed them acceptable in an east coast storm.
Will be missed:
1999 "Deep Amethyst" TJ +3" on 33's
C2U5H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 02:58 PM   #579
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto
I think it's a great that people use this as a reason not to buy them. Here in Minnesota we get our asses out and clean off the ice and snow buildup regardless LED or halogen
bubbajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-06-2013, 07:57 PM   #580
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

I think it is great when southern folk don't know the conditions up north. I don't think I wanna stop on the highway every five miles on my 40 mile commute home during a snow storm to wipe headlights off. And yes that is the only reason I DON'T have LED headlights. I have enough invested in aux LED lights that are useless in a snow storm. The Halogen lights do stay clear of snow for the commute home.
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
Unread 03-06-2013, 10:39 PM   #581
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I think it is great when southern folk don't know the conditions up north. I don't think I wanna stop on the highway every five miles on my 40 mile commute home during a snow storm to wipe headlights off. And yes that is the only reason I DON'T have LED headlights. I have enough invested in aux LED lights that are useless in a snow storm. The Halogen lights do stay clear of snow for the commute home.
It's not every 5 miles more like all day and let your jeep sit outside in the cold and freeze over and the lights don't thaw. Kind of like a snowmobiles rear suspension that needs to be shooken up with all the ice buildup. As for Aux lights I have a few myself
D2 duallys, Dually spots, Srms, new Q-4's "might have to look that one up", Warn 7 inch HIDs, last but not least Trucklites 4.5 fogs
Unread 03-07-2013, 04:53 AM   #582
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

Like I said, that may work for you but not up north here.
Unread 03-07-2013, 09:55 AM   #583
Godholio
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTPhoto View Post
I've had to do this with the OE lights. Conditions can overwhelm anything.
Utah Jeep Crew #148
No powerball here? How am I supposed to finance the mods?!?
'12 Sport...miss my YJ for all the wrong reasons though
Godholio is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:11 AM   #584
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Like I said, that may work for you but not up north here.
I live on the Canadian line so must be a hell of a difference that much farther north!!
Unread 03-07-2013, 10:25 AM   #585
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

Mine have the same issue. Selling them when I can. ****ty design

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.