Headlight Shootout - Page 35 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Cess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WDGEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 10-31-2012, 05:53 AM   #511
MrFusion
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jso902 View Post
possible group buy?
This would be nice! Looking forward to ending the flicker!

MrFusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:33 AM   #512
jso902
JK Wrangler 

I think the new jeeps are getting close to 40k. I would also imagine that you get the exciting diesel motor.
jso902 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2012, 06:44 AM   #513
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiewrangler View Post
Greetings from down under. First - HILLDWELLER - you are a legend. The work you have done - thank you so much. I was thinking "you need to get a life" on the early parts of the thread - but then I saw the photo enjoying a beer and I concluded you clearly have the right balance!

Has anyone got experience fitting 8700's (new model) on an Aussie JK. Ours have the Hella H4 standard (oh stop complaining you yanks - we also pay upwards of $40k)?

Also - can an idiot fit these suckers.

THANKS IN ADVANCE!
You need the RHD variant but it should be plugnplay for you. Check with JW Speaker first and make sure they build one...

Or:

You could also mount a Toyota part #90981-01037; that's the left-side Koito-built H4 and I hear that it works much better than the Hella you've got.

Yes; an idiot can fit them...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:46 AM   #514
aussiewrangler

Thanks Bill. I purchased the JW Speakers yesterday - and tried to install today - lights worked perfect - but over here - we have the Parking Light in the head light - and I will have to work out how to fix that. The JW Speakers have the parking light (so maybe its the same as UP ABOVE - but where the light has a female cover surrounding a male pin - the park light is obviously different.

On the pricing here - a basic Wrangler Unlimited is just over 40k - Rubicon 50k +. We pay through the nose for cars! Add another 5k for that diesel. With a Range Rover Vogue in the garage (175k) - and an SL55 (new $340k - but there is no way I'd buy that sucker new) - well the difference is HUGE! Pity the Bi-Xenons in those two will be beaten by the Headlights (and XRAY VISION HID Driving lights) on the Wrangler.

Also - FYI - The new ARB INTENSITY LED DRIVING LIGHTS have just been launched DOWN UNDER (pre-release). Whilst they the ugliest things in the world (they were born in the ugly tree and on the way down hit every branch) - knowing ARB - they probably work brilliantly. Bill - get your local distributor in the states to send you a pair to test out. If you are interested - read this http://mailer.volume.net.au/display....2018&L=2&N=910
aussiewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 03:51 AM   #515
aussiewrangler

With the ARB 4x4 Action Magazine give away of the two Intensity lights - I hope everyone in the forum puts in an entry - one of you wins - and sends them onto Bill for his fine work!
aussiewrangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 04:48 AM   #516
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aussiewrangler
With the ARB 4x4 Action Magazine give away of the two Intensity lights - I hope everyone in the forum puts in an entry - one of you wins - and sends them onto Bill for his fine work!
For the price listed each I doubt it will be a big seller here in the US unless it reduces
bubbajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:32 AM   #517
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, the ARB Intensity is, ummmm, interesting... ...but I wouldn't spend my money on them.
http://www.expeditionportal.com/foru...-BRIGHT-lights

I like bright and I like LED but not at the cost of CRI and function. Since they're the wrong color, wrong pattern, too bright, and just generally not suited as driving lights, they'll have to be relegated to offroad use. Taking a look at the power demand and price per lumen, I'd say to buy some Optilux cheap-n-stinky HID lights and declare victory if you're after an offroad light.

Chris and his loyal testmule Rubicon will be getting a set of prototype JW Speaker LED driving lights installed this weekend in the woods. They have a DOT compliant beam of light and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.
He went and got a cheapo LED bar and mounted it to his Jeep ---- I measured the light and it is non-existent at 50 yards. It is a MISERABLE driving light and only good at very low speed driving.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 11-02-2012, 05:51 AM   #518
WXman
2001 WJ 

I found it interesting that Four Wheeler magazine did a headlight shootout in a recent issue and used these same lights to test. From the pics they showed, the Truck-Lite headlights are #1 by far...especially when you consider they are half the price of the Speakers. The light pattern was fantastic and super bright and the lights themselves are much more asthetically pleasing. I wonder where they got the idea for a headlight shootout from? Hmm...
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 08:58 AM   #519
JeepCO12
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Chris and his loyal testmule Rubicon will be getting a set of prototype JW Speaker LED driving lights installed this weekend in the woods. They have a DOT compliant beam of light and I'm looking forward to seeing what they can do.
Bill - I'm looking for an LED driving light - the existing ones from JWS or if I can find one from TL. Please post results of your test with Chris - or point me to a thread if you have a separate one about LED driving lights I haven't found...

Thanks! Edit - if you have time that is. Thanks for ell the advice you gave which helped me decide on the Trucklites as headlight replacements.
JeepCO12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-03-2012, 11:08 PM   #520
jso902
JK Wrangler 

silly thought, but what makes the d.sterns harness better than Putco's Heavy-Duty Harness and Relay for H4 Halogen Bulbs?

Getting the Sterns's harness is pushing the cost into speaker territory. As opposed to putco's 40$ harness with direct battery draw.

**edit; i guess i posted the wrong one; i guess I'd need the h13 version if i already had the adapters
untitled-1.jpg  
Unread 11-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #521
jso902
JK Wrangler 

really? no thoughts? i'd like to do-it-myself; I just need a reason why I should lean towards a custom made vs a prefab'd one. Am I looking at a more steady voltage?
the harness/relay stuff sorta goes over my head. as I don't see a difference between one from another. especially if i'm drawing such a low voltage for LED's
Unread 11-04-2012, 08:21 PM   #522
bubbajk
2010 JK Wrangler 

Where's the best deal on a set of harness and trucklites right now
bubbajk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-05-2012, 06:24 AM   #523
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jso902 View Post
silly thought, but what makes the d.sterns harness better than Putco's Heavy-Duty Harness and Relay for H4 Halogen Bulbs?

Getting the Sterns's harness is pushing the cost into speaker territory. As opposed to putco's 40$ harness with direct battery draw.

**edit; i guess i posted the wrong one; i guess I'd need the h13 version if i already had the adapters
Does this harness have the capacitors and resistors wired in to smooth out the PWM and not eat the relays?
That's sorta the whole point...

Never did get to test the JWS driving lights. Chris was MIA and they're still sitting in my truck.
[/sad.face]

Unread 11-05-2012, 10:43 PM   #524
JeepCO12
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Never did get to test the JWS driving lights. Chris was MIA and they're still sitting in my truck.
[/sad.face]
Bill are the ones waiting in your truck for testing the TS3000R (or V) - or are they a newer product?

http://www.jwspeaker.com/products/he...product=500263

Whichever they are, I hope you and Chris manage to hook up eventually and they pass muster
JeepCO12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-06-2012, 10:11 AM   #525
mosports

Link to Susquehanna Harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrFusion View Post
Hilldweller,
I'm real curious to find out how that Truck-Lite dongle works out (and how much it's going to cost!). I'm about to pull the trigger on the Truck-Lites for my Jeep and am willing to get the harness but I'll be damned if I can find a link for just the Rallylights harness. I do think it is a bit pricey but I will go that route to make sure my headlights don't flicker if the dongle doesn't workout.

I agree with you about the HID conversion kits. IMO you are better off with a legal solution. You may never get pulled by the police for your lights, but if you do, they have now become a lot more expensive then the legal solutions tested in this thread. (Not judging anyone that is willing to take the chance, just my opinion)
If you are interested in the wiring harness from Susquehanna Motorsports to prevent the flicker of LED headlamps, go to this link
http://www.rallylights.com/detail.aspx?ID=4887
and select part number HL28130J from the drop down menu.

Regards,

Dave Sekella
Susquehanna Motorsports
13994 Kutztown Rd.
Fleetwood, PA 19522
610-944-3233
Fax: 610-944-3234
dave@rallylights.com
www.rallylights.com
mosports is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.