Headlight Shootout - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 02-13-2011, 04:35 PM   #31
jjmmagoo
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTHIS View Post
The flicker isn't a strobe, think of a faulty alternator causing your headlights to either dim between RPM's or a very quick blink.

I drove an hour to and from my hockey game with these last night and it's hardly noticeable if you weren't the wiser.

I drove on some dark roads, here are the Truck-Lite headlights by themselves with no stock fogs.
Completely off topic, where do you play Hockey on Long Island. I used to play a lot mostly in Long Beach but now I live on the North Shore.

Back on topic Yes or no do you like the lights??? Any regrets if any? These lights are a lot of money so I dont want buyers remorse if or when I buy them.

jjmmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:04 PM   #32
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmagoo

Completely off topic, where do you play Hockey on Long Island. I used to play a lot mostly in Long Beach but now I live on the North Shore.

Back on topic Yes or no do you like the lights??? Any regrets if any? These lights are a lot of money so I dont want buyers remorse if or when I buy them.
I live in Bethpage - I play out at the Rinx in Happague. Last night I drove out from East Hampton so I was on the road a bit. My team plays for Suffolk County Hockey League.

I like the lights, but I was sent a set to test and post my thoughts. I have to be honest and say if I bought them I would be slightly disappointed. However, saying that - they performed better than the stock halogens in my opinion. Had I purchased them I'd keep them installed.

But what "works" for me, may not work for you. That's what's hard about mods like this.

Truck-Lite is on the right track and hopefully they use our feedback to improve their product.

Current Mods:
.::Fabtech 3" Lift with Dirt Logics
.::Pro Comp 17" 7005 Wheels
.::Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35x12.5R17 Tires
.::PIAA Windshield Light Brackets
.::PIAA 5296 520 ATP Lights
.::Rugged Ridge Light Bar
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Flood Lights
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
.::Truck-Lite 4" LED Spot Lights
.::Katzkin Leather with Seat Heaters
.::20% tint
.::Optima Yellow Top
.::6" Shorty Antenna[/SIZE][/B]
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:12 PM   #33
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Good bling photo in your avatar, Mike.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 06:08 PM   #34
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller
Good bling photo in your avatar, Mike.
Yeah, I got a little over zealous. lol

Current Mods:
.::Fabtech 3" Lift with Dirt Logics
.::Pro Comp 17" 7005 Wheels
.::Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35x12.5R17 Tires
.::PIAA Windshield Light Brackets
.::PIAA 5296 520 ATP Lights
.::Rugged Ridge Light Bar
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Flood Lights
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
.::Truck-Lite 4" LED Spot Lights
.::Katzkin Leather with Seat Heaters
.::20% tint
.::Optima Yellow Top
.::6" Shorty Antenna[/SIZE][/B]
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:02 PM   #35
LIMETIME
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thanks, but I'll stick to my $50 retrofit HIDs from DDM Tuning. These things can light up an airport (properly aimed, of course).
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:02 PM   #36
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

Any of you guys with the new truck lites, live in the North west? If you do maybe we can setup a meeting and compare the Speaker LEDS to the Truck lites. If any of you are in or going to Montana Idaho or Washington I could drive down from Edmonton Ab to meet you to compare lights and do some wheeling.
pator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:27 PM   #37
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMETIME View Post
Thanks, but I'll stick to my $50 retrofit HIDs from DDM Tuning. These things can light up an airport (properly aimed, of course).
if they were only 50 bucks, that's not a retrofit. they may be HID's, but you didn't get retrofitted projectors for 50 bucks. hell, i can't even buy one projector for that much.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:11 AM   #38
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIMETIME View Post
They're not safe, legal, or properly aimed.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 02-14-2011, 04:27 AM   #39
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

cjlewis came over to the Hilldweller proving grounds with his Rubicon and set of Northridge-sourced IPF reflectors with clear bulbs. Big "thank you" to him.
The results were, ahem, illuminating.

Lowbeam IPF

Highbeam IPF

And a side shot that needs an explanation

These are wired with a pigtail connector rather than a full harness; they're fed stock PW-modulated power with added resistance from an extra connector.

These lights have been available from IPF/ARB for a long long time; they are very popular in the Land Rover community.
I've also made a large deal over the fact that IPF has never submitted them for testing to certify that they meet DOT or ECE regulations; we now know why.
Looking at Chris' Jeep from the side, I noticed that it looked like beams of light were shooting into the sky. So we measured it and, sure enough, we found 1700 LUX of stray light at a highly oblique angle (see photo). I measured my Cibie Z-Beams for comparison and got 63 LUX.
I can't imagine how these would work to mess with the driver's ability to see in fog, let alone oncoming traffic.

The numbers:

Ambient temperature 53 degrees F; lens temperature 135 degrees F

Lowbeam value in blue, high in red.

LUX at 25 feet, sensor moved to highest output spot. 517/513

25 yards Right: 69/79 * Left: 1/1

50 yards Right: 2/25 * Left: 1/3

75 yards Right: 1/10 * Left: 1/4

Again, a big thanks to Chris for driving over from Roswell on a Sunday night and helping with this. It was a pleasure to meet him and I hope he'll join our camping group; seems like he and his family would really fit in.
Nice Rubi too...

Unread 02-14-2011, 05:44 AM   #40
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Looking at Chris' Jeep from the side, I noticed that it looked like beams of light were shooting into the sky. So we measured it and, sure enough, we found 1700 LUX of stray light at a highly oblique angle (see photo).
http://www.wildboarproducts.com/accessories.html

I wonder if the Wild Boar grill would alleviate this? Would it possible to re-test with simulated (cardboard or something) overhang to see how it affects the light pattern as far us stray and upward lighting? Maybe it would give it a nice straight cutoff. I am curious. Please?

Oh, goodjob and great writeup, again!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 06:16 AM   #41
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
I wonder if the Wild Boar grill would alleviate this? Would it possible to re-test with simulated (cardboard or something) overhang to see how it affects the light pattern as far us stray and upward lighting? Maybe it would give it a nice straight cutoff.
A bad reflector is a bad reflector. It might help but why put a bandaid on a bullet wound?
Remove the bullet and you'll do much better.

I notice that WB is using Delta lights, BTW. Another uncertifiable 7" reflector that I need to get a hold of.
If that's their idea of a good headlight, their products need to be held to tighter scrutiny...

Unread 02-14-2011, 06:37 AM   #42
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
A bad reflector is a bad reflector. It might help but why put a bandaid on a bullet wound?
Remove the bullet and you'll do much better.

I notice that WB is using Delta lights, BTW. Another uncertifiable 7" reflector that I need to get a hold of.
If that's their idea of a good headlight, their products need to be held to tighter scrutiny...
Good points, but I am not sure that you can hold their products and craftsmanship up to scrutiny because of their headlight selection! That's like undermining the JK all because of the 3.8! Oh, wait, people have been doing that for years now...
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-14-2011, 11:23 AM   #43
ChicagoGuy
formerly VetteDriver

2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pator1971 View Post
Any of you guys with the new truck lites, live in the North west? If you do maybe we can setup a meeting and compare the Speaker LEDS to the Truck lites. If any of you are in or going to Montana Idaho or Washington I could drive down from Edmonton Ab to meet you to compare lights and do some wheeling.
I'm the third leg in this test stool, and just haven't gotten the lights from Jerry yet (my fault, not his). But I'm in Seattle, so if I can get some time off work we can figure out a way to meet. Your Speaker lights were exactly what I wnated, and would love to see how the Truck-Lights match up.

When I get them, I won't be comparing them to stock, but to the Deltas (which I will disclose up front that I hate).
Unread 02-14-2011, 03:35 PM   #44
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Excellent write-up! I need to sell my IPFs for some DS zbeams.
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 02-15-2011, 09:48 AM   #45
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

Ok see when you can get off work and I'll see if I can get off work and maybe meet up somewhere in Coeur d'Alene Idaho or Spokane Washinington. I love the Lights. Bright good depth and aim the way Speaker wants no blinding of on coming drivers, and the best part for our over enthusiastic LEO - DOT legal. I had a set of the old truck lites and they were not good, I would almost say the stock light was better.... I would be willing to try the new ones if they wanted me too, I could include them in the new magazine article I am writing, but that is up to them.
pator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.