Headlight Shootout - Page 21 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wHalloween Savings to die for!

Unread 07-24-2012, 05:59 PM   #301
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the clarification about the tape. That helps ease my mind. Still researching before handing over my hard earned cash.

Unread 07-24-2012, 07:25 PM   #302
JamzAre
2012 JK Wrangler 

I have what I believe to be the newest Trucklite 7” round complex reflector optics design, Part# 27270C Generation 2 but I do not remember seeing them described as "Phase 7." Have they already superseded Gen2 or is this just a new name for the same product?
I did not need to use tape for my install and I love the lights!

Jim
Unread 07-24-2012, 07:47 PM   #303
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

i have the trucklite Phase 7's and didn't have any problems with installing them. i also, for whatever reason don't have flicker either. my Phase 6's had it very badly but i havnt noticed it at all with the Phase 7s. i love these lights

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:37 PM   #304
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
i have the trucklite Phase 7's and didn't have any problems with installing them. i also, for whatever reason don't have flicker either. my Phase 6's had it very badly but i havnt noticed it at all with the Phase 7s. i love these lights
I'm still seriously considering these Phase 7's over the JW's. I've been running the H4 conversion + Hella's for about a year now and while I really really like them, I dont' like changing bulbs as often as I am. I'm on road at night more than daylight and quality headlamps are needed. For me it's more of a safety thing than a price thing, but the Trucklites are becoming more and more attractive.

But the best part is, I don't have to worry about dongles or flickering because I already have the H4 harness... Good stuff
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 09:52 PM   #305
spyder6
Got that Toyota chit

you'd be seriously impressed with the high beam. its insane.

My builds: Bruiser and The Grey

|Forge Overland| or follow us on Facebook
spyder6 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-24-2012, 10:01 PM   #306
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyder6 View Post
you'd be seriously impressed with the high beam. its insane.
That is what I've heard. I can't imagine being more insane than the Hella's but I'm willing to try

I'm kinda leaning this direction before adding Rigid Dually D2's to my A pillar... even know I'm going to get those pretty soon too.

I love spending money on the jeep...it's just my wife that just doesn't understand.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 07:58 AM   #307
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Highbeam intensity that I've measured so far:
1) JW Speaker model #8700 Evolution ---- winner in a TJ. Surprised the heck out of me
2) Hella E-code (what rallylights sells), harnessed & relayed with big bulbs
3) Trucklite Phase 7 --- yes, the Part# 27270C.

These were all close in performance; you could read by any of these lights at over a football field in distance.

Prot --- don't worry about what you're worrying about, sir. They really do work well.

Not sure about the Q-tek pigtail; where's Jerry?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 08:44 AM   #308
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Just pinged back and forth with Jerry and he said I can spill the beans.

Trucklite is working on a pigtail to sell with their lights that will be simple plug-n-play. One of them should be coming south very soon for us to test in Chris' Rubicon and we're pretty optimistic about how it should work.

Q-tek's dongle is not this dongle and they're incorrect about flicker...

The flicker isn't all that obnoxious. And a full Rallylights harness obviates it entirely.
The nice thing about a rallylights harness is that you can have any number of dongles added for auxiliary lighting when you have it built.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 07-25-2012, 09:34 AM   #309
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the information Hilldweller. I think I am going to hold off until the truck lite pigtail is available.
Unread 07-25-2012, 10:15 AM   #310
Tornado
2008 JK Wrangler 

I've been on the fence about the LED's for a while now. (JWSpeaker=better performance/cost more or Trucklight=slightly lower performance/much cheaper)

I had kind of decided on a plan to buy a Rally Lights/D. Stern harness now. Install that, and then get the LED's in a couple of months so the pocketbook didn't take the hit all at once.

So now that Trucklight is working on a pigtail for the JK, would this make the harness unnecessary?

If I understand things correctly, and I am not good with wiring, the LED's would pull less juice, so would the lighter factory wiring be sufficient?

Quote:
The nice thing about a rallylights harness is that you can have any number of dongles added for auxiliary lighting when you have it built.
Does this mean I can have dongles added for the A pillar lights and brush guard lights I want to add down the road so I have the wiring ready when I add them? If so, how would they need to be wired to be turned on/off from a toggle and not the headlight on/off switch?

Sorry, I am a NOOB when it comes to wiring!

Thank you Hilldweller and others for doing a lot of testing and work to share your knowledge and results with the rest of us!

I definitely want better lighting but the last thing I want is an illegal setup or one that causes issues for oncoming traffic. (I know I really do not like when others do that to me)
Tornado is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-25-2012, 11:14 AM   #311
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
I've been on the fence about the LED's for a while now. (JWSpeaker=better performance/cost more or Trucklight=slightly lower performance/much cheaper)
Depends on how you define "performance". I didn't post numbers yet but the Trucklites give more light out to the sides while the JWS puts more down the center. They both excel in one way...
The Truckies pull much less juice too.

I had kind of decided on a plan to buy a Rally Lights/D. Stern harness now. Install that, and then get the LED's in a couple of months so the pocketbook didn't take the hit all at once.

So now that Trucklight is working on a pigtail for the JK, would this make the harness unnecessary?
If all you wanted was to add headlights, yes. No need for a complete harness.

If I understand things correctly, and I am not good with wiring, the LED's would pull less juice, so would the lighter factory wiring be sufficient?
Yes. The LEDs run great on my friend's TJ and his H4 headlights dimmed when he let his foot off the gas. They dimmed alot.
The LEDs only need 9v to run. That's monumental when you think about it.
Again, the Trucklites pull the least juice.

Does this mean I can have dongles added for the A pillar lights and brush guard lights I want to add down the road so I have the wiring ready when I add them? If so, how would they need to be wired to be turned on/off from a toggle and not the headlight on/off switch?
Yes. Just tell Ray what you want to do and he'll build you a harness for it.
He'll even coach you on how to install it.
By using his dongles though, they will either be tied to the highbeam or lowbeam. That means that one or the other will have to be on as well as your switch for them to run; when you turn off your headlights, they'll turn off as well.

Sorry, I am a NOOB when it comes to wiring!
We were all noobs at one time.

Thank you Hilldweller and others for doing a lot of testing and work to share your knowledge and results with the rest of us!
I love Jeeps and I love lights --- I'm just grateful to Trucklite and JW Speaker for supplying the materials and doing the research. Both companies listened to what we want/need and came up with improved products.
Fast.

I definitely want better lighting but the last thing I want is an illegal setup or one that causes issues for oncoming traffic. (I know I really do not like when others do that to me)
Thank you. That matters to me and other people with common sense, courtesy, and a social conscience.

Unread 07-25-2012, 03:51 PM   #312
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Just was messing with my fog lights, which have a burnt bulb. While I was doing that, I noticed that the lenses on my headlights are in terrible condition. No wonder it sucks driving at night. Looking at that, I think the direction I need to go is with real glass instead of plastic/polycarbonate. We have a lot of bugs down here, so I guess that's what ate my lenses up so badly. My fog lights are ate up too.
Unread 07-25-2012, 04:27 PM   #313
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
Just was messing with my fog lights, which have a burnt bulb. While I was doing that, I noticed that the lenses on my headlights are in terrible condition. No wonder it sucks driving at night. Looking at that, I think the direction I need to go is with real glass instead of plastic/polycarbonate. We have a lot of bugs down here, so I guess that's what ate my lenses up so badly. My fog lights are ate up too.
Polycarb will last a LONG time but not forever.

Care and feeding:
Never use an abrasive, not even a paper towel. Use a nice soft cloth soaked in warm water and some dish soap to wash. Treat them with a good quality plastic polish afterward like Plexus to keep them slippery.
Never use anything with petroleum to clean or treat them like RainX; it will eat them alive by a process called crazing.

Some people have put a plastic film over the lens like LaminX or similar 3M products; I'd consider these to be a consumable on the Jeep and should be replaced as necessary.

The nice thing about Polycarb is that it won't shatter. The bad thing is that it can be scratched.

The old JW Speaker lights are glass but require bucket mods and moving the airbag sensor; that's explained much earlier in the thread.

Unread 07-26-2012, 05:53 AM   #314
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

What are the stock lenses made of? I can't believe how bad they are after only five years. I am sure stock replacements are pretty expensive.
Unread 07-26-2012, 06:33 AM   #315
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prot View Post
What are the stock lenses made of? I can't believe how bad they are after only five years. I am sure stock replacements are pretty expensive.
They're some kind of plastic ---- and it made sense to somebody...

I wouldn't buy a stock replacement. I don't like H13s all that much and the JK H13 reflector doesn't lend itself to much praise.
H13s are just a cost-cutting bulb and they show it.

H4s are subject to many of the same limitations but have a better build. And there are some really good reflectors out there that help make the most of them.

But, for our purposes, I have a different set of criteria for what motivates me.
We're not average drivers; we don't drive "cars" ---- we drive Jeeps. We go on roads but we also go on things that normal Americans don't call roads. My wife grew up in a very rural part of South America --- some of what we call "trails", she calls a nice road.

But we want to see the trails at nights. The rocks. The stumps. The drop-offs. We want to be able to tell the mud from the ice from the puddle from the sand, etc. All of the minutia that a street driver can be unconcerned about could be the difference between life and death for us ---- sorry to sound tragi-serious but you know what I mean...

That's why I want a good amount of light out in front of me. Reliable light.
I don't care about what looks good in a parking lot, what's trendy, or famous names in 4x4 history.
And I want legal.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.