Headlight Shootout - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ Ch

Unread 02-12-2011, 08:38 PM   #16
jjmmagoo
2009 JK Wrangler 

For a person who will do mostly comuting driving with the ocasional highway trip these headlights are still better then what I have now. Your review is very revealing. I am more concerned about the flickering that is going on. I want to be driving knowing I can see whats in front of me not driving around with a rave party machine. I purchased the Trucklite pigtails when I thought I had a deal to buy these headlights on ebay. The seller backed out(another story for another day). So now I just want something better then what I have. For the amount of $$$ they are going for I want something that is completely fool-proof(NO issues i.e. Flickering, easy insatllation). I understand based on your results they are not nearly as good as the Cibies but they are better then stock, no? The Cibies are the best headlights availible but I imagine they are for people that use a jeep for it's intended purpose, OFFROADING, backwoods driving, trailblazing, etc, etc, etc. I apreciate your review & testing these because they have put doubt in my head BUT I havent ruled them out. I would just like an answer about why theres flickering on some installations and none on others. Well done & thanks!!!

jjmmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 10:58 PM   #17
acedude4
2008 JK Wrangler 

thanks for the test
acedude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:59 AM   #18
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

Damn.
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 05:11 AM   #19
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmagoo View Post
For a person who will do mostly comuting driving with the ocasional highway trip these headlights are still better then what I have now. Your review is very revealing. I am more concerned about the flickering that is going on. I want to be driving knowing I can see whats in front of me not driving around with a rave party machine. I purchased the Trucklite pigtails when I thought I had a deal to buy these headlights on ebay. The seller backed out(another story for another day). So now I just want something better then what I have. For the amount of $$$ they are going for I want something that is completely fool-proof(NO issues i.e. Flickering, easy insatllation). I understand based on your results they are not nearly as good as the Cibies but they are better then stock, no? The Cibies are the best headlights availible but I imagine they are for people that use a jeep for it's intended purpose, OFFROADING, backwoods driving, trailblazing, etc, etc, etc. I apreciate your review & testing these because they have put doubt in my head BUT I havent ruled them out. I would just like an answer about why theres flickering on some installations and none on others. Well done & thanks!!!
The major flaws IMHO:
1) I don't see the "flicker" as a problem. I see it as an effect of what the technology is; I don't blame my dog for pissing in the back yard either. The lights flicker from the PWM; so what? Work around it with a harness and you'll have more/brighter/steadier light.
But others see this as an issue. Think of it as a symptom of the technology and just deal with it; it's not hard to do.

2) Limited reach. They dropped dead too soon. You need to reach at least 75 yards to the right on lowbeam to be considered for highway driving.

3) Even spread. Although vastly better than the previous incarnation, they still have gaps & hot-spots; these are distracting to the driver, especially on backroads where there are sharp curves, steep cambers, & altitude variation. I literally couldn't navigate one road on lowbeam.

4) Spread to the side of the road needs to be improved; the lights have virtually zero off to the sides.

Besides the obvious benefits of LED technology (robustness, longevity, power savings, ease of application), the single best characteristic that I noted while driving was that two of the "flashlights" seemed to be aimed directly at the lines on the road --- this is fantastic for driving in poor weather and obviates the need for foglights.

I can see them working for a city driver; they were fine in urban driving where streetlights did the lion's share of lighting the road. And they do have bling appeal in spades; people at Sam's Club, Wells Fargo, and in the neighborhood all took long looks at them.

Jerry seems like an open person and Truck-Lite seems to be diligent in their pursuit of refinement. I'd expect them to apply themselves and create a still better product.

I still feel that HIDs will fade from popularity and LEDs will become the standard for headlights. But, for replacement lamps like these, the question remains as to which company will make the best and offer it at an appealing price-point?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:29 AM   #20
jjmmagoo
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
The major flaws IMHO:
1) I don't see the "flicker" as a problem. I see it as an effect of what the technology is; I don't blame my dog for pissing in the back yard either. The lights flicker from the PWM; so what? Work around it with a harness and you'll have more/brighter/steadier light.
But others see this as an issue. Think of it as a symptom of the technology and just deal with it; it's not hard to do.

2) Limited reach. They dropped dead too soon. You need to reach at least 75 yards to the right on lowbeam to be considered for highway driving.

3) Even spread. Although vastly better than the previous incarnation, they still have gaps & hot-spots; these are distracting to the driver, especially on backroads where there are sharp curves, steep cambers, & altitude variation. I literally couldn't navigate one road on lowbeam.

4) Spread to the side of the road needs to be improved; the lights have virtually zero off to the sides.

Besides the obvious benefits of LED technology (robustness, longevity, power savings, ease of application), the single best characteristic that I noted while driving was that two of the "flashlights" seemed to be aimed directly at the lines on the road --- this is fantastic for driving in poor weather and obviates the need for foglights.

I can see them working for a city driver; they were fine in urban driving where streetlights did the lion's share of lighting the road. And they do have bling appeal in spades; people at Sam's Club, Wells Fargo, and in the neighborhood all took long looks at them.

Jerry seems like an open person and Truck-Lite seems to be diligent in their pursuit of refinement. I'd expect them to apply themselves and create a still better product.

I still feel that HIDs will fade from popularity and LEDs will become the standard for headlights. But, for replacement lamps like these, the question remains as to which company will make the best and offer it at an appealing price-point?
Well said. What you wrote above is what I wanted to hear.

Although I live within 25miles of NYC. I do drive on some poorly lit and narrow hilly roads.

All I know, driving home during our last snow storm the headlights I have were more like parking lights, thank GOD I have HID's installed on in my fogs beacuse I would have been totally screwed.

I am not someone who is "Showy" or who has the "look what I have" attitude I just like having nice things and since every Tom, Dick, & Harry has a Jeep Wrangler where I live I just want something original.
Forgive my ignorance, define the flickering, I imagining it looking like a strobe light, is it that severe??? Is it barely noticeable to the other drivers on the road??? I dont want to annoy the other drivers. If nobody brought this issue up would a novice like myself notice it??? Maybe I will wait on these...

Once again thank you!!!
jjmmagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:44 AM   #21
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjmmagoo

Well said. What you wrote above is what I wanted to hear.

Although I live within 25miles of NYC. I do drive on some poorly lit and narrow hilly roads.

All I know, driving home during our last snow storm the headlights I have were more like parking lights, thank GOD I have HID's installed on in my fogs beacuse I would have been totally screwed.

I am not someone who is "Showy" or who has the "look what I have" attitude I just like having nice things and since every Tom, Dick, & Harry has a Jeep Wrangler where I live I just want something original.
Forgive my ignorance, define the flickering, I imagining it looking like a strobe light, is it that severe??? Is it barely noticeable to the other drivers on the road??? I dont want to annoy the other drivers. If nobody brought this issue up would a novice like myself notice it??? Maybe I will wait on these...

Once again thank you!!!
The flicker isn't a strobe, think of a faulty alternator causing your headlights to either dim between RPM's or a very quick blink.

I drove an hour to and from my hockey game with these last night and it's hardly noticeable if you weren't the wiser.

I drove on some dark roads, here are the Truck-Lite headlights by themselves with no stock fogs.
image-3229426777.jpg  

Current Mods:
.::Fabtech 3" Lift with Dirt Logics
.::Pro Comp 17" 7005 Wheels
.::Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35x12.5R17 Tires
.::PIAA Windshield Light Brackets
.::PIAA 5296 520 ATP Lights
.::Rugged Ridge Light Bar
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Flood Lights
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
.::Truck-Lite 4" LED Spot Lights
.::Katzkin Leather with Seat Heaters
.::20% tint
.::Optima Yellow Top
.::6" Shorty Antenna[/SIZE][/B]
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 08:59 AM   #22
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller

The major flaws IMHO:

1. I agree, the flicker isn't a major issue in my eyes because it's not a highly noticeable event. I'm sure with your Bosch relays it helped though.

2. I actually felt the lights performed a bit better than stock as far as distance, at least in the marked photo test.

3+4. I have a few photos of the spread that actually show a pretty wide beam. While I was a little disappointed in the beam pattern - I've had much worse in other vehicles (my work van for instance lol). I have no issue utilizing these for the long term and hope that Truck-Lite decides to make replacement fogs as well.

As a first redesign, based on some other photos floating around these are MUCH better. I think with some more feedback like we are doing, Truck-Lite can really work on their lens and pattern to make a sharp cutoff. I think they are on the right track, they have a product that doesn't look cheesy in appearance and performs fairly, but not perfect. Such is life when you are an early adoptee though.

Current Mods:
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:33 AM   #23
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTHIS View Post
1. I agree, the flicker isn't a major issue in my eyes because it's not a highly noticeable event. I'm sure with your Bosch relays it helped though.
You notice the flicker the closer you are to the lens. Put a white board in front of them and it looks like a strobe; from 25 feet, hardly can be seen.
Using the supplied harness, the lights get 12.6v at most and 4.5v at cycle; using a relayed harness, they get over 14v steady. Significant to a technology that cycles so quickly.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 02-13-2011, 09:52 AM   #24
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller
You notice the flicker the closer you are to the lens. Put a white board in front of them and it looks like a strobe; from 25 feet, hardly can be seen.
Using the supplied harness, the lights get 12.6v at most; using a relayed harness, they get over 14v. Significantly more lumens in an already lumen-starved light.
I certainly plan on using a harness. Any particular one you'd recommend?

I think I can adjust my lights some as well - yours look aligned better than mine. Oncoming drivers would often flash me with stock lights with only my low beams on.

Current Mods:
Unread 02-13-2011, 10:18 AM   #25
Liquor
BOUNTY HUNTER

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
After gathering the numbers, I took a little spin on some dark twisty roads.
Long story short, I'll be de-installing them tomorrow and putting the Z-Beams back in.
They don't behave like headlights; they behave like a handful of flashlights.

thats how these lights work in these humvees.

I looked at these before getting my Delta Xenon headlights. I'm glad I passed on them. the Deltas were a huge improvement over the stock lights. Everything said here that is missing from the LEDs, the Deltas perform excellent.

Full Build Thread

2002 TJ Sport - Sold

"CAIN" • '07 Jeep JK • 426 HEMI 685 HP & 650 ft lbs
Facebook • Twitter • YouTube

MrDeids.com • Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
Pitbull Tires • Poison Spyder Customs • Poly Performance • Rigid Industries • Rock Krawler Suspension • Spiderweb Shade
Magazine Feature:
2007 Jeep Wrangler - 426 Hemi JK - All The Right Stuff • Oct, '11
Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:01 AM   #26
Rcubed
2009 JK Wrangler 

Saw a comment on the TruckLites in another forum and the poster mentioned
" if you remove the light you'll see a 15mm hex. Making the lights "toe out" (best way I can describe it) seems to help the pattern on the road. "
This might alleviate the lack of spread, but wouldn't help the gaps...
Is this really a user adjustment?
R
Rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 11:27 AM   #27
DocJake
in therapy

2009 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for going through the trouble of your write up. And thanks to TruckLites for sending the demos!

2009 Wrangler JK Deep Water Blue 2/door, Auto Soft Top
Automatic/3.73
2.5" RC Coils/1" MORE-BL/3/4" Levellers/Skyjacker Hydros Shocks/JKS 2" Bumps
17" AEV Argent Pintlers/34.4" GY Duratracs
Rugged Ridge XHD Modular Bumpers, locking ends, grill loop
JKS Links/XHD Modular Bumpers/Locking End Units
SB-XCR8 Winch

http://theadirondoc.blogspot.com
DocJake is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-13-2011, 12:11 PM   #28
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocJake View Post
Thanks for going through the trouble of your write up. And thanks to TruckLites for sending the demos!
Doc,

If you'd like to see them in person I'd have no problem meeting up this week.
Unread 02-13-2011, 01:16 PM   #29
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTHIS View Post
I certainly plan on using a harness. Any particular one you'd recommend?

I think I can adjust my lights some as well - yours look aligned better than mine. Oncoming drivers would often flash me with stock lights with only my low beams on.
For a harness, Rallylights or Dan Stern can build one; Dan will also send you plugs for a do-it-yourself if you want.
I went with 2.5" drop from dead-center at 25 feet for aiming. They fit in the buckets much differently than the Cibies and were pointing skyward at first.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcubed View Post
Saw a comment on the TruckLites in another forum and the poster mentioned
" if you remove the light you'll see a 15mm hex. Making the lights "toe out" (best way I can describe it) seems to help the pattern on the road. "
This might alleviate the lack of spread, but wouldn't help the gaps...
Is this really a user adjustment?
R
That's really a question for Jerry and his engineers. He's not sure how much "company" participation to apply to these threads; I think he should pop in with observations.

My instincts tell me that the "six flashlights" approach needs to be rethought. Maybe better reflectors, fewer flashlights with more lumens each and more spread.

Unread 02-13-2011, 03:27 PM   #30
Whitefang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Thanks for the Review Hill! Ive been planning on installing new headlights and you just made my decision that much easier.
Whitefang is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.