Headlight Shootout - Page 17 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!Advance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 03-11-2012, 10:04 AM   #241
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC27

the stuff up close is just shadows from the bumper, correct?
Here is one from mine without a stinger bumper

image-1719518813.jpg  

Current Mods:
.::Fabtech 3" Lift with Dirt Logics
.::Pro Comp 17" 7005 Wheels
.::Mickey Thompson Baja MTZ 35x12.5R17 Tires
.::PIAA Windshield Light Brackets
.::PIAA 5296 520 ATP Lights
.::Rugged Ridge Light Bar
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Flood Lights
.::Truck-Lite 7" LED Headlights
.::Truck-Lite 4" LED Spot Lights
.::Katzkin Leather with Seat Heaters
.::20% tint
.::Optima Yellow Top
.::6" Shorty Antenna[/SIZE][/B]
MikeTHIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:27 AM   #242
JRC27

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeTHIS View Post
Here is one from mine without a stinger bumper
Thanks.....So all things considered, do the JW's out perform the new trucklites enough to justify the cost??
JRC27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:37 AM   #243
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Thanks.....So all things considered, do the JW's out perform the new trucklites enough to justify the cost??
I've only had the two sets of Truck-Lite's so I can't comment on the JW's. But, these new Truck-Lites are great for me, I never really liked the beam of what I saw from the JW's.

Current Mods:
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:51 AM   #244
JRC27

Quote:
I've only had the two sets of Truck-Lite's so I can't comment on the JW's. But, these new Truck-Lites are great for me, I never really liked the beam of what I saw from the JW's.
Is there any comparison from the new trucklites to the old? Or are the new just that much better?

Personally, i was never a fan of the "look" of the original trucklites.
Unread 03-11-2012, 10:59 AM   #245
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Is there any comparison from the new trucklites to the old? Or are the new just that much better?

Old then new.
image-3955995723.jpg   image-3319819638.jpg  

Current Mods:
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:24 AM   #246
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

TJ owner... have learned a lot from this thread. I've been interested in the Truck-lites for some time, but recently read comments by Daniel Stern that were rather dismissive of LED headlamps writing that they barely meet the minimum brightness mandated by law.

This seems totally at odds with the measurements taken here that have the new Trucklites (at their brightest) putting out more light than high-end halogens. What am I missing?
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2012, 11:28 AM   #247
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek
TJ owner... have learned a lot from this thread. I've been interested in the Truck-lites for some time, but recently read comments by Daniel Stern that were rather dismissive of LED headlamps writing that they barely meet the minimum brightness mandated by law.

This seems totally at odds with the measurements taken here that have the new Trucklites (at their brightest) putting out more light than high-end halogens. What am I missing?
Without ever dealing with DS, is this dismissive nature genuine or just protecting HIS products?

I'm sure he can't be happy with LED in the sense people won't buy cibies, harnesses and bulbs.

Current Mods:
Unread 03-12-2012, 02:44 PM   #248
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfcreek View Post

I don't think the LED's have the reflector "balance" (for lack of a better term) that you can get with lenses made for halogen, the pattern just isn't as good or as far reaching. I have talked with the guys (Will) at rallylights about this and they installed some LED's for a customer, did some "on the street" testing and the distance of the LED's just did not compare to H4's.

I was going to post a link to candlepowerforums.com, but the site is under repair from a "hack attack". If you care to go over, go to the automotive section and ask your question to Schweinwerfermann...total lighting guru..there may already be a thread there on LED's, that all they talk about on that forum....lighting.
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #249
wolfcreek
2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I don't think the LED's have the reflector "balance" (for lack of a better term) that you can get with lenses made for halogen, the pattern just isn't as good or as far reaching. I have talked with the guys (Will) at rallylights about this and they installed some LED's for a customer, did some "on the street" testing and the distance of the LED's just did not compare to H4's.

I was going to post a link to candlepowerforums.com, but the site is under repair from a "hack attack". If you care to go over, go to the automotive section and ask your question to Schweinwerfermann...total lighting guru..there may already be a thread there on LED's, that all they talk about on that forum....lighting.
Thanks... I had tried to go to candlepowerforum too and had problems but it seems to be back up now.

I guess I can take my time researching - don't have to make a decision soon and learning about something new is part of the fun.
wolfcreek is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2012, 05:21 PM   #250
riptide
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Without ever dealing with DS, is this dismissive nature genuine or just protecting HIS products?

I'm sure he can't be happy with LED in the sense people won't buy cibies, harnesses and bulbs.
I think DS has a lot of good info on his site. However, I would question how upto date it is. Additionally, I'm not sure how much he actually makes off what he sells. The Cibies can be had elsewhere for the same price ($74 each), and the harness is something he sources from Rallylights. There obviously has to be some profit there, but these are not his products he's selling. He's simply selling what he (and the general consensus) considers to be the best lights available.

While I'm not a fan of LEDs (in any capacity really), I will acknowledge that the JWs seem to be very decent lights. They likely won't reach as far as H4s (LED doesn't seem to be quite there yet - even as AUX lighting when it comes to projection down the highway), and the cost vs results is still quite high (although it's been coming down lately). However they are effective and have that cool factor that other lights don't have.
Unread 03-12-2012, 07:30 PM   #251
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

From what I've read, a standard bulb (such as an H4) uses one light source, a focused reflector(reflectors) and a lens combination. LEDs, on the other hand - use an array of smaller lights with prisms, multiple reflectors and a shared lens/diffuser. While LEDs can be very bright up close (even blinding), they don't seem to project/focus the same amount light out as far as a single, focused halogen/xenon bulb will. If you take time to compare the numbers and light patterns of LEDs, halogens and xenon bulbs on the websites - LEDs typically put out massive light up close at less than 35 feet (usually way more than standard light types) - but usually after 35 feet the light strength drops by four-to-eight times!!! Depending on the LED type - they usually drop around 20 times beyond 100-150 feet - really only making most LEDs useful for less than ~100 to 150 feet (without getting some kind of massive array/massively expensive type). That being said, LEDs have certainly come a long way to being approved for use as headlamps, they're extremely low-power and I'm excited to see what LED companies bring out in the future.

Besides, it's not really that hard to get a lamp that improves the performance of a stock wrangler setup! For myself, I'd prefer the rallylights/hella combo for the best bang-for-the-buck upgrade, but that's just my opinion.

SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #252
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince1 View Post
I could not live with those dark cross artifacts. Too distracting.
Those are from a prerunner bar; you don't even see them from the driver's seat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRC27 View Post
the stuff up close is just shadows from the bumper, correct?
Yes.

Quote:
The new Trucklites put more light in more places than the JW Speakers and do it for less money. They're easier to install too.
The Speakers have glass lenses which is good and bad...

Quote:

The new ones are so much better that the old ones shouldn't be mentioned in the same paragraph.
Like a Chevette vs a Corvette. Both Vettes, right?
Nah....

Quote:

Well, until the Speaker headlights, most LED lights were horrible. Speaker changed that.
Then Trucklite went back to the drawing board. They listened to us and gave us what we asked for.
There's room for improvement, no mistake. But it's a big leap forward.

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
The new Trucklites are parabola-based; Rallylights hasn't seen them yet.
They should start selling them. They blow away the Hella H4s and are on a par with Cibie for our use.

Look at what I posted in my review. The Trucklite LEDs were only 1 LUX lower than the Hellas at 125 yards ---- and the Hellas were (by far) the winners in that category previously. The Trucklites also put out the best overall spread of light.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:18 AM   #253
JRC27

Thanks Hilldweller
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:38 AM   #254
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Alright....so should I remove my Hella's and replace w/ Trucklites? JW's were too expensive for my budget but the trucklites look like a very decent replacement now. Keep in mind, I am on the road at night A LOT and replace H4 lamps every 2-3 months. (Even though I use some decent Osram's from Candlepower).
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2012, 08:43 AM   #255
MikeTHIS
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2
Alright....so should I remove my Hella's and replace w/ Trucklites? JW's were too expensive for my budget but the trucklites look like a very decent replacement now. Keep in mind, I am on the road at night A LOT and replace H4 lamps every 2-3 months. (Even though I use some decent Osram's from Candlepower).
I would!

I really (REALLY!) like these new Truck-Lites.

I'm also driving on dark windy roads daily and I'm finding myself really comfortable with the output. I can spot Deer pretty easy, where with the previous generation spread was mainly forward and limited to two hot spots.

These are the best lights I've had since the factory HID on the SRT8 Grand Cherokee I used to have.

I also know, as Bill mentioned - that TL listens to our feedback and what we've got now is a direct result of that.

Current Mods:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.