Headlight Shootout - Page 15 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 09-19-2011, 07:42 PM   #211
verdugan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by totdoc View Post
It sure would be sweet if they offered a drop in solution for the Jeep!
And if they could offer them within the next month when I'll get my 2012, it would be very much appreciated.

verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 03:51 PM   #212
12JKU
1965 CJ3B 

For all the 2012 owners that want to "attempt" this headlight upgrade mod, here is what I did...

Attn: this mod is not for the faint of heart OR the faint of pocket book!!!

As I mentioned in a previous post, the air bag sensors on the 2012's can no longer be rotated and to attempt this would be a serious modification to the air bag system. So what I did was to throw money at the problem and buy a headlamp kit that contains 3 pieces...chrome retainer ring, headlamp and the "outer" plastic ring that the headlamp attaches to. This outer ring is the same ring mentioned above that has to be enlarged to allow the JW Speaker light to fit. I know this sounds stupid to buy additional headlamps that you are not going to use, but the plastic ring is not sold by itself! Left side part # 55078149-ac & Right side part # 55078148-ac (this mod is getting out of hand, price wise)

I took the plastic ring from the kit and placed it in a vise and used a dremel to enlarge the opening so the JW Speaker light would fit. Using screws, I then attached the enlarged ring to the stock ring on the jeep. This created a "double stack" ring that gave the JW Speaker enough clearance with NO additional cutting to the stock jeep parts and NO adjusting the airbag sensor. Yes, the light will protrude out more than stock, but I don't think it is too noticeable and the grill still fits.

Last night when I was working on this "franken-light" project I didn't take any pics, because I didn't know if this hair brain idea would work. Now that I think it might, I'll take a few pics as I finish up the other side.

Also I am not expecting any thing less than a tough time when it comes to adjusting these lights with the "double stacked" rings. ***Edit - looks like the adjustment will not be as big of a problem as I thought. - ***

Stay tuned.

Last edited by 12JKU; 09-24-2011 at 09:06 AM..
12JKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 04:15 PM   #213
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm curious, could you have purchased the "frame" from say a '10 or earlier model for less $$? I don't know the cost, just wondering if it may be an option for this lighting upgrade....^^
Unread 09-23-2011, 08:20 PM   #214
verdugan
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12JKU View Post
For all the 2012 owners that want to "attempt" this headlight upgrade mod, here is what I did...

Thanks for the post. I think that might be too much for me.
verdugan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-23-2011, 11:16 PM   #215
totdoc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I'm curious, could you have purchased the "frame" from say a '10 or earlier model for less $$? I don't know the cost, just wondering if it may be an option for this lighting upgrade....^^
The 07-12 wranglers share the same part numbers for the buckets. I would think the cheapest way to get these would be to buy them from a junkyard from a wrecked jeep. There may be some other options here, too, if people are able to get creative...

For example - maybe washers could be used to extend out the stock mounting bolt positions, so that a redundant outer ring would not be necessary. Or perhaps a custom fit piece of plastic could be made with a blank sheet from a hobby store and an exacto knife to make your OWN ring to insert the light into. Or maybe the fins of the light itself could be trimmed down.

No matter what, I am very happy to see that someone is spearheading this install in the 2012's. I am really hoping to do this upgrade, too!
totdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 08:41 AM   #216
12JKU
1965 CJ3B 

The JW Speaker lights were successfully installed in my 2012 JKU using the "double stack" method mentioned above here are some pics...

3pc Headlamp kit

Enlarged opening to fit JW Speaker light

"Double Stack" with painted black trim ring

I'm sure there are other options for fitting these JW speaker headlights in a 2012, but this worked for me, and did not have to cut any of the stock parts or mess with the airbag sensors.
12JKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 09:29 AM   #217
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Looks great, nice job!!...^^
Unread 09-26-2011, 07:58 AM   #218
totdoc
2012 JK Wrangler 

Excellent work! Good choice on painting that trim ring black, too. It does protrude a little bit, now, but it still looks really good! Any trouble with the aiming?
totdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:14 AM   #219
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12JKU View Post

As I mentioned in a previous post, the air bag sensors on the 2012's can no longer be rotated and to attempt this would be a serious modification to the air bag system. So what I did was to throw money at the problem and buy a headlamp kit that contains 3 pieces...chrome retainer ring, headlamp and the "outer" plastic ring that the headlamp attaches to. This outer ring is the same ring mentioned above that has to be enlarged to allow the JW Speaker light to fit. I know this sounds stupid to buy additional headlamps that you are not going to use, but the plastic ring is not sold by itself! Left side part # 55078149-ac & Right side part # 55078148-ac (this mod is getting out of hand, price wise)

I took the plastic ring from the kit and placed it in a vise and used a dremel to enlarge the opening so the JW Speaker light would fit. Using screws, I then attached the enlarged ring to the stock ring on the jeep. This created a "double stack" ring that gave the JW Speaker enough clearance with NO additional cutting to the stock jeep parts and NO adjusting the airbag sensor. Yes, the light will protrude out more than stock, but I don't think it is too noticeable and the grill still fits.

Last night when I was working on this "franken-light" project I didn't take any pics, because I didn't know if this hair brain idea would work. Now that I think it might, I'll take a few pics as I finish up the other side.

Also I am not expecting any thing less than a tough time when it comes to adjusting these lights with the "double stacked" rings. ***Edit - looks like the adjustment will not be as big of a problem as I thought. - ***

Stay tuned.
Good job.

When I first installed the 8700s, I spoke with them about providing a shim of this type in a "kit" along with a pigtail with the diodes and capicitors included. They thought it was a good idea but never went anywhere with it.

I'm glad you did it and proved that the idea had merit.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-26-2011, 10:20 AM   #220
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead_Nuts View Post
LEDs are very tempting, but emitter 'color temp' with associated CRI would be key to me adopting them. I have extensive experience with LED flashlights (and flashlights in general) and know what a difference color can make. Cooler tints create more glare, while warmer colors (don't take this statement to the extreme, of course) tend to allow better color rendition -- which can be key to object identification and real-time decision making. I've actually seen and experienced this with tactical weapon-mounted lights.

More light is not always better.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anything about any particular product; as I've not seen them in person. I am also not going to say the price is too high. After all, my Marchal's, wiring harness and bulbs were not exactly cheap (especially since I bought Cibie's first). In fact, I believe LEDs are the future of automotive lighting.

I would love to see a set of good LEDs next to a set of Marchals with Osram 70/65 (I know you can get brighter, but they aren't street legal) bulbs. But I would want the lit up scene to have greens and browns and blues in it.
I almost got the Marchals but opted for Z-Beams instead.

Compared with HIDs, the CRI on the 8700s is much better ----- signed, Mr Subjective...

I can't stand HIDs headlights for this reason and tinted the lenses on my HID offroad lights to selective yellow. But the claimed 5000K of the LEDs didn't bother me.
I'd rather it was 3800-4000K though.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-23-2011, 10:28 PM   #221
gspam1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabar View Post
A few months ago, I installed Philips X-Treme, H13 bulbs in my 2011, JK Factory reflectors. It did make a good improvement over the factory bulbs, but....

A couple of days ago, I installed the Hella, E-code reflectors, with Philips X-Treme, H4 bulbs, with their plug-and-play, wiring harness. Purchased from rallylights.com

Wow! What a HUGE difference over the factory reflectors, even with Philips X-Treme, H13 bulbs!

The Hellas are much, much brighter, with a much better light pattern.

HUGE improvement!

Hella Reflector kit with wiring harness

Mabar
How many hours to install this kit? Does it come with decent instructions?

Thanks!
gspam1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:07 AM   #222
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gspam1 View Post
How many hours to install this kit? Does it come with decent instructions?

Thanks!
I installed mine in an hour on X-mas eve. out in the snow....

Here's some pics to look at...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stall-1145472/
Unread 10-24-2011, 09:42 AM   #223
Tacman
2007 JK Wrangler 

That's a pretty good "kit" that was provided. I'm impressed with their plug-n-play approach.
Having purchased the Marchals, built harnesses and added in relays all by myself I can tell you it took about 5 hours to come up with basically the same thing.
As far as I'm concerned that price is excellent considering the price of all the components, etc. !
Tacman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 04:23 PM   #224
UnlimitedBry
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mabar View Post
A few months ago, I installed Philips X-Treme, H13 bulbs in my 2011, JK Factory reflectors. It did make a good improvement over the factory bulbs, but....

A couple of days ago, I installed the Hella, E-code reflectors, with Philips X-Treme, H4 bulbs, with their plug-and-play, wiring harness. Purchased from rallylights.com

Wow! What a HUGE difference over the factory reflectors, even with Philips X-Treme, H13 bulbs!

The Hellas are much, much brighter, with a much better light pattern.

HUGE improvement!

Hella Reflector kit with wiring harness

Mabar
Ive been torn on which set up to install but I think im going with this guy Speakers and LEDs are out of budget anyway
UnlimitedBry is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2011, 10:48 PM   #225
gspam1
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I installed mine in an hour on X-mas eve. out in the snow....

Here's some pics to look at...http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...stall-1145472/
Awesome, thank you very much! Great write up and pics.
gspam1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.