Headlight Shootout - Page 13 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Bead Lock Wheels! Raceline, Trail Ready, & Trail-Gear2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black (Paint to Match) Grille2007-2014 Jeep Wrangler Black Sun Shade (Rugged Ridge)

Unread 08-02-2011, 08:04 AM   #181
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pator1971 View Post
Kenny at River Raider is now selling the Speaker lights as a kit.
http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...product_id=151
Doesn't give a description of the wiring harnesses.
If he wired a capicitor inline on a pigtail for each side, that would work for H13 to H4 ----- the capicitor would prevent the flicker.
If they're just pigtail adaptors, not so good.
Does somebody here know Kenny that can relay this info?

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:10 AM   #182
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pator1971 View Post
Kenny at River Raider is now selling the Speaker lights as a kit.
http://www.riverraider.com/store/ind...product_id=151
Wonder if these things are good... $995 is a lot to pay for them if they flicker.
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-02-2011, 11:26 AM   #183
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by guarnibl View Post
Wonder if these things are good... $995 is a lot to pay for them if they flicker.
That's $75 off retail; the price is good.
Just need the question answered about the pigtails.
The Speakers can be done without a full harness since they produce the same lumens from 9v to 15 volts (more or less). You just can't feed them the PWM voltage that drops to 4.68 like a JK does. That problem is obviated by an inline capacitor; Rallylights is close to Riverraider and could build the adapter harness for them for a decent price I bet.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 08-02-2011, 12:21 PM   #184
guarnibl
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
That's $75 off retail; the price is good.
Just need the question answered about the pigtails.
The Speakers can be done without a full harness since they produce the same lumens from 9v to 15 volts (more or less). You just can't feed them the PWM voltage that drops to 4.68 like a JK does. That problem is obviated by an inline capacitor; Rallylights is close to Riverraider and could build the adapter harness for them for a decent price I bet.
Good price if they work. If they flicker or have issues even a $1 wouldn't be a good price IMO
guarnibl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 03:42 PM   #185
12JKU
1965 CJ3B 

I am interested in making this mod to my 2012 JKU. I sent Riverraider an email inquiring about the use of capacitors in his pigtails. I'll post his reply. Thanks for this thread, good stuff.
12JKU is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2011, 09:23 PM   #186
MudPuppy3

Got mine for $750.00 per pair. Harness for $20.00 and no flicker.
MudPuppy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 07:02 AM   #187
12JKU
1965 CJ3B 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MudPuppy3 View Post
Did you get yours from River Raider? Thanks for the feedback!
Unread 08-15-2011, 01:57 PM   #188
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Did you flash the computer or are you just running the harness?
If just the harness, does it incorporate capacitors?

It's simple physics otherwise. The LEDs will cycle, will flicker if pigtailed to the PWM circuit. It's not extremely noticeable unless you put a piece of paper in front of them. But it's happening.

Who makes the harness? Can they give us specs?

Unread 08-16-2011, 05:07 AM   #189
12JKU
1965 CJ3B 

Spoke to 3 different suppliers of the JW Speaker's yesterday and all sell the H13 to H4 adaptors / pigtails with NO capacitors or relays. THEY say "that's all you need", "installed several that way and customers are happy" and one even said when I pushed the potential light flicker issue, "the earlier JW Speakers had some flicker, but not the new ones"

Then I taked to Rallylights... They are very knowledgeable about the subject and recommended a wiring harness complete with capacitors and relays for the best installation # HL28130J - From H13 to H4 2007> Jeep Wrangler (NOT for DRL) $128.50

I'm going to drop a lot of coin on these headlights...for my money, I'm going with the Rallylights harness!
Unread 08-16-2011, 06:47 AM   #190
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12JKU View Post
Spoke to 3 different suppliers of the JW Speaker's yesterday and all sell the H13 to H4 adaptors / pigtails with NO capacitors or relays. THEY say "that's all you need", "installed several that way and customers are happy" and one even said when I pushed the potential light flicker issue, "the earlier JW Speakers had some flicker, but not the new ones"

Then I taked to Rallylights... They are very knowledgeable about the subject and recommended a wiring harness complete with capacitors and relays for the best installation # HL28130J - From H13 to H4 2007> Jeep Wrangler (NOT for DRL) $128.50

I'm going to drop a lot of coin on these headlights...for my money, I'm going with the Rallylights harness!
I don't know of any "new" JW Speaker lights that work on a lower nominal voltage.

I do know that I used a high dollar O-scope/spectrum anaylzer on my JK's PWM-fed H13 headlight circuit and read voltage modulation between 4.7v-12.7v (rounded figures). The headlights work from 9v-15v, nominal 12v. They were completely cycling off with the PWM. It cycles VERY quickly and the naked eye would have a great deal of difficulty seeing it.
But you can't fool a meter, especially a really good one.

I just left a phone message with the design engineer at JW Speaker and asked him to give me a call back.

Unread 08-16-2011, 08:23 AM   #191
MudPuppy3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12JKU View Post
Did you get yours from River Raider? Thanks for the feedback!
I got mine from The Chrome Shop in Bald Knob Arkansas. Ask for Josh. The harness was from 4WD parts and is just a H4 to H13 adapter, no capacitors. No flicker noticed to my 48 year old eyes.
MudPuppy3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-16-2011, 11:35 AM   #192
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
I got mine from The Chrome Shop in Bald Knob Arkansas. Ask for Josh. The harness was from 4WD parts and is just a H4 to H13 adapter, no capacitors. No flicker noticed to my 48 year old eyes.
What year is your JK?

I wish you were close enough for me to scope your harness...

Unread 08-29-2011, 11:15 AM   #193
mabar
2011 JK Wrangler 

A few months ago, I installed Philips X-Treme, H13 bulbs in my 2011, JK Factory reflectors. It did make a good improvement over the factory bulbs, but....

A couple of days ago, I installed the Hella, E-code reflectors, with Philips X-Treme, H4 bulbs, with their plug-and-play, wiring harness. Purchased from rallylights.com

Wow! What a HUGE difference over the factory reflectors, even with Philips X-Treme, H13 bulbs!

The Hellas are much, much brighter, with a much better light pattern.

HUGE improvement!

Hella Reflector kit with wiring harness

Mabar

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
mabar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 08:44 AM   #194
Deuskid
2013 JK Wrangler 

probably a stupid question but do the '12s have the same headlights as previous JKs?

John
Deuskid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-03-2011, 09:00 AM   #195
mabar
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deuskid View Post
probably a stupid question but do the '12s have the same headlights as previous JKs?

John
Yes.

The Bigger the Government, the Smaller the Citizen
mabar is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.