Headlight Shootout - Page 11 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

XJ Rail Sale!The Ruffstuff NOT Universal 4 Link Kit!Vanco Big Brake Kit Promotion!

Unread 03-14-2011, 05:38 AM   #151
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
looks like hellas and cibies are the way to go.
I've run both and either one is a huge improvement over stock....

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
Yep, that is what it looks like and a huge thanks for the numbers chart.

Tell me if this is offbase at all:
Best bang-for-the-buck - Rallylights / Hellas + Phillips Extreme +80

Best overall - DS Kit w/ Osram bulbs (Looks like this provides the best 'balance')

Best if you really want to spend a lot of money - JW Speaker

I think I'm going to have to go w/ Rallylights and order them next paycheck.

I started out with the rallylights kit, then jumped the the Cibie Z-Beams, both are great lighting improvements. Once you get your new harness in place, you have options and can upgrade easily....

Unread 03-14-2011, 07:05 AM   #152
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
I've run both and either one is a huge improvement over stock....

I started out with the rallylights kit, then jumped the the Cibie Z-Beams, both are great lighting improvements. Once you get your new harness in place, you have options and can upgrade easily....
Thanks! When my wife drives the Jeep, her main complaint is the lights and doesn't like to drive it at night. We're taking a roadtrip next month and I think this kit is going to help a lot just based off of this thread and the photos. I even upgraded the bulbs in the stock lens and they are still horrible.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 08:37 AM   #153
J_Westy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
Some numbers for the Phillips Xtreme +80 H4 bulbs in a Hella H4 reflector; bulbs are harnessed/relayed for optimal power.

And we measured 6 LUX dead center at 125 yards, unassisted by any supplemental driving lights. The Hella reflectors have a tremendous middle-of-the-road hot-spot, a little too much foreground light, and not enough off to the sides. But with a pair of supplemental lights to provide some light to the sides, they'd give you the most total light so far. The highbeams are a little too high as well ---- but a remarkable focus...

Yes; the lights lit up the rooftops in the neighborhood past the woods. You could see our shadows on the houses; about a quarter mile as the crow flies...
Boy howdy.
In the end, that's how I adjusted my Hellas -- by aiming the highbeam pattern to hit the road at a reasonable distance that was still bright.

The low beams are aimed a little low/near, but not too bad.

And I usually end up running the fogs to fill in the edges a bit... at least on low beams.

Thanks for the good work HD and crew!
J_Westy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:09 AM   #154
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Thanks! When my wife drives the Jeep, her main complaint is the lights and doesn't like to drive it at night. We're taking a roadtrip next month and I think this kit is going to help a lot just based off of this thread and the photos. I even upgraded the bulbs in the stock lens and they are still horrible.
If you order the rallylights kit, be sure to upgrade the bulbs to the Phillips +80's, they will give you a credit for the bulbs that come with the kit....

Then watch out, these light up enough to make road signs a little bright..
Unread 03-14-2011, 11:51 AM   #155
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Realignment is required. With either the Philips Xtreme +50 or +80 bulbs, the H13s are perfectly serviceable and safe if you'll bring them down about 7-10 degrees. Truly, a world of difference if not outright impressed after doing that to mine.
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-15-2011, 10:53 AM   #156
Dead_Nuts
2011 JK Wrangler 

The Philips Extreme bulbs made a noticeable improvement over stock, IMHO. I still wanted more, so I ordered everything from DS.

I did not know about the Z-Beams at the time, but it sounds like the standard Cibie's are more than adequate and in a completely different league from OE.
Dead_Nuts is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 06:48 AM   #157
2Unlimited
2010 JK Wrangler 

I popped in the DS system with the harness and Osram bulbs last night. Daniel Stern, you're my hero! That's all I need to say.
2Unlimited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2011, 01:12 PM   #158
TXJimmy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Unlimited View Post
I popped in the DS system with the harness and Osram bulbs last night. Daniel Stern, you're my hero! That's all I need to say.
I've had the DS lights and harness for about a month now...
The difference to the stock lights is absolutely amazing!
Thanks to Hilldweller for all his work on this thread!

Cheers,
Jim
TXJimmy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-20-2011, 07:56 PM   #159
J_Westy

G Class Retrofit?

I noticed a G55 G Class with Xenons the other day. Apparently the 2009-11 had these as an option.

It wouldn't be the cheapest conversion, but I wonder if these would work/fit?

J_Westy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-21-2011, 12:19 AM   #160
tarrbaby
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Westy
I noticed a G55 G Class with Xenons the other day. Apparently the 2009-11 had these as an option.

It wouldn't be the cheapest conversion, but I wonder if these would work/fit?
I would like to see this as well!

Sent from Mars
Unread 06-21-2011, 06:42 AM   #161
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I could make'em fit...

But why? The Sylvania/Veleo product costs less and does the same thing.
I bet the fancy ones have self-levelers too and that would have to be dealt with.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-22-2011, 12:51 AM   #162
tarrbaby
2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller
I could make'em fit...

But why? The Sylvania/Veleo product costs less and does the same thing.
I bet the fancy ones have self-levelers too and that would have to be dealt with.
I thought that I had read through this entire thread.... Does it have this combo listed somewhere and I missed it? If not can you please explain or just refer me to a page or something??

Sent from Mars
Unread 06-22-2011, 04:26 AM   #163
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tarrbaby View Post
I thought that I had read through this entire thread.... Does it have this combo listed somewhere and I missed it? If not can you please explain or just refer me to a page or something??

Sent from Mars
Sylvania/Valeo XE7 bi-xenon 7" headlights ---- the real deal. They have H4 pigtails and would need bucket modification just like the JW Speaker 8700.
Perfectly legal.
Don't be fooled into the other Sylvania product or other look-alikes, similar code numbers, etc. The rest are either junk or illegal.
These usually sell for under $700/pair from discount mail-order places.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:55 PM   #164
O2BDrty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller View Post
...I sure do like those Z-Beams...
Got a website I can go to for this
O2BDrty is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-28-2011, 01:38 PM   #165
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by O2BDrty View Post
Got a website I can go to for this
I don't believe that Daniel Stern Lighting has any Z-beams left; they've been out of production for a decade.
The regular Cibies are less expensive and work great.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.