Headlight Shootout - Page 10 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipNitro Gear Packages Now Available at Rockridge 4wdPoison Spyder JK LED Taillight Wiring Harness

Unread 03-06-2011, 04:58 PM   #136
pator1971
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
Oh, sweet! An fan added to the back of LED's to heat purposes? That oughta keep those indestructible lights functioning after being drug through sand, water, and mud. Not thank you. They are a great light, and are very durable. But what happens when that fan becomes shorted, clogged, or otherwise breaks down with some dirt use. Will the housing over heat causing a premature death? Not like you can just replace a bulb at that point. Do the units also have big cooling fons on the back of them? If so, do they look prone to clogging?

This is starting to look like an age old AK vs. M-16 debate. The only way to put my concerns to rest is for you to go out and find some good and muddy trails, water crossing or deep puddles, and to play in the sand. Then you have to post your before and after temperatures . That is your new assignment. Have fun!
The JW Speaker 8700's are sealed to IP67
Which means they are dust tight. (The 6)
Also sealed for a water depth of 1m for 30mins (the 7)
Here is a link for the IP standards.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IP_Code

pator1971 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-07-2011, 03:03 AM   #137
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Yeah, trust me; I got them plenty wet yesterday. We were on the roads that the Rangers use for mountain survival training.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:33 PM   #138
CGnTtown

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hilldweller

The choices are hard, aren't they?

If you want the most light and don't mind replacing bulbs often, you go with the Dan Stern kit, either with Z-Beams or Marchals.

Want to spend a bit less and have pretty good results? Get the Rallylights kit.

If you love HID and want to do it legal, the Sylvania/Valeo is there for you. But you need a harness (hello Dan or Rallylights) and will have to trim the buckets.

Want LED? Okay, are you going to punish your rig or not. If you're hardcore, get the Truck-Lites and some supplemental lights. If you're easier on your equipment and have the bucks, those JW Speakers are the cat's pajammas...

It's only money, right?

I've pinged Rallylights and begged for an H13 to H13 harness and set of Xtreme Power bulbs. They can only say "no", right?
So can you tell me what the best way to go is if I don't want to have to replace bulbs every six months and I don't want to spend more than $400.00 but I want the best possible lighting. Will I be replacing bulbs with the rallylights kit like with the stern kit every 6 months? What makes the bulbs not last very long?
CGnTtown is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 05:33 AM   #139
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGnTtown View Post
So can you tell me what the best way to go is if I don't want to have to replace bulbs every six months and I don't want to spend more than $400.00 but I want the best possible lighting. Will I be replacing bulbs with the rallylights kit like with the stern kit every 6 months? What makes the bulbs not last very long?
Hot filaments burn faster.

I don't know how long the Phillips Xtreme Power bulbs last but I tested them in a Hella reflector last night and they blew me away again; I think they're the best overall bulb for light and longevity together in one package.
Combine them with a Cibie reflector and good harness and you'll be able to see where you're going.
Maybe they'll last a year? Maybe two? How much do you use your lights? Bulb life is just too hard to predict; it's always good to have some spares with you in a secure box...

So, overall, the biggest nod goes to a complete Daniel Stern kit. I have some pics and stats to lay out about the Hella reflectors. They weren't horrible but the numbers confirmed what my eyes had been telling me ----- great hot spot down the middle, not a whole lot off to the sides (but not terrible), a little too much foreground light, and the highbeam is too high.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #140
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Some numbers for the Delta Blue H4 "Xenon" bulbs in a Hella H4 reflector; bulbs are harnessed/relayed for optimal power.

Lowbeam value in blue, high in red.

LUX at 25 feet, sensor moved to highest output spot. 339/653

25 yards Right: 20/33 * Left: 1/2

50 yards Right: 2/20 * Left: 1/2

75 yards Right: 1/9 * Left: 1/2

Pics:

Lowbeam

Highbeam

These bulbs yielded a very white light --- but not much of it. They also hurt our eyes when we did the "walk toward the Jeep" test, no matter if they were high or lowbeam.
Nobody wanted to take them home...

Unread 03-13-2011, 07:37 AM   #141
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Some numbers for the Phillips Xtreme +80 H4 bulbs in a Hella H4 reflector; bulbs are harnessed/relayed for optimal power.

Lowbeam value in blue, high in red.

LUX at 25 feet, sensor moved to highest output spot. 695/1619

25 yards Right: 66/45 * Left: 2/2

50 yards Right: 10/30 * Left: 3/3

75 yards Right: 3/16 * Left: 2/2

And we measured 6 LUX dead center at 125 yards, unassisted by any supplemental driving lights. The Hella reflectors have a tremendous middle-of-the-road hot-spot, a little too much foreground light, and not enough off to the sides. But with a pair of supplemental lights to provide some light to the sides, they'd give you the most total light so far. The highbeams are a little too high as well ---- but a remarkable focus...

Pics:

Lowbeam

Highbeam

Yes; the lights lit up the rooftops in the neighborhood past the woods. You could see our shadows on the houses; about a quarter mile as the crow flies...
Boy howdy.

Unread 03-13-2011, 04:02 PM   #142
WhiteJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

Where is a good place to pick up a pair of Phillips Xtreme +80 H4 bulbs?
WhiteJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 05:06 PM   #143
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiteJK View Post
Where is a good place to pick up a pair of Phillips Xtreme +80 H4 bulbs?
I got mine from rallylights.com
Unread 03-13-2011, 05:42 PM   #144
asknight
2006 TJ Wrangler 

Amazon.com
asknight is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 05:44 PM   #145
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

A table of what has been tested thus far (I'm getting tired of shuffling to compare results)
jk-lights.jpg  
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 05:49 PM   #146
jrmars07
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hilldweller, do you have any tests from the stock housing and bulbs so we can compare those, and give me a little more inspiration to blow money on new housing and bulbs
jrmars07 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 06:24 PM   #147
242much
2009 JK Wrangler 

looks like hellas and cibies are the way to go.

good grief, just buy the Rubicon.
242much is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #148
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 242much View Post
looks like hellas and cibies are the way to go.
Yep, that is what it looks like and a huge thanks for the numbers chart.

Tell me if this is offbase at all:
Best bang-for-the-buck - Rallylights / Hellas + Phillips Extreme +80

Best overall - DS Kit w/ Osram bulbs (Looks like this provides the best 'balance')

Best if you really want to spend a lot of money - JW Speaker

I think I'm going to have to go w/ Rallylights and order them next paycheck.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-13-2011, 07:58 PM   #149
marmotmb
2007 JK Wrangler 

as a life long headlight freak, I appreciate this thread.

just a few things I noticed.

Would be nice to have comparison to stock housings with Sylvania, Hella, etc... bulbs.

I am running the Sylvania Silverstars now (headlight and fog), but just installed the Ultra's in a pick up and can't wait for them to produce this model for the JK. They were far superior to the silverstars. Both of these models are exceptional in blizzard and white out conditions and allow me to see where the road is without issue. I ski, and travel in the worst conditions 4 hours + to get there and I know my blizzard bulbs, trust me !

I have run blue bulbs in the past, do your selves a favour people and don't waste your money, they are horrible in snow conditions, but favourable in wet for some reason.

Noticed that there were no after adjusting the JK speaker bulb pics. would be interested to see these. very interesting bulb pattern.

great thread, thanks for the work into it.
Pro Comp - Hypertech Programmer / 2.5" Teraflex coil lift & 1" M.O.R.E Body Lift / 315/75R16 Pro Comp Mt. Extremes / 16" x 8" Pro Comp Series 52 (Black) / Pro Comp steering stabalizer / Air Raid Cold air intake / Ace Enginnering and Fab Front stubby with bull bar / OR Fab Rear tire carrier / 2 Blitz Jerry Can / HI lift jack / Cherry Bomb 2.5" Exhaust and Custom Tail pipe / KC Daylighter 6" 130 Watt with Driving lense / Shifter boot trim ring bolt mod / Rear Bumper gap mod / Mirror drill hole mod
marmotmb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-14-2011, 03:13 AM   #150
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmotmb View Post
Noticed that there were no after adjusting the JK speaker bulb pics. would be interested to see these. very interesting bulb pattern.
The new pics with the spots and floods are post-adjustment; I didn't use the light meter though.

Once again, the artifacts and pattern are really exaggerated by the camera; they're quite nice to drive with, even in downpours.

Chris did bring a set of OE lights with him and we planned to re-install them and compare.
But we had been grilling venison all day and had a few beers and, well, you know. Before we knew it, it was pretty late...
I'll get a stock JK out there eventually. I think the only bulb I'd compare the stocker to would be the Xtreme Power H13; don't want to waste time with also-rans and blue bulbs.

This was the tech crew on Saturday:

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.