Headlight Shootout - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Headlight Shootout

Jeep LED Light Lights! OCONEE OFF-ROAD 706-534-9955RCV Axles at CCOR15 x 8 Black D-Window Steel Wheels Set of 4

Unread 02-11-2011, 06:42 PM   #1
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Headlight Shootout

As many of you know, Truck-Lite was nice enough to send a set of their updated and improved LED headlights to 3 members of JEEPForum; I'll install mine tomorrow.

I've marked the exact location of the Jeep for reference. Please take note of what you can see off to the sides of the road as well as the FedEx boxes that I've used for markers. Our peripheral vision and the ability to see to the sides is what keeps Bambi off our hoods.

Round one in the war will feature the set of Cibie Z-Beams that I have now. They were purchased from Daniel Stern Lighting. The bulbs are Osram Rallye 70/65 and they are harnessed/relayed/plugged by Rallylights.

Markers are at 25yards L/R, 50 yards L/R, 75 yards L/R
Jeep is on the right side of a 2-lane road; camera on hood in front of driver

Ambient temperature 35 degrees F; lens temperature 157 degrees F at 6"

Lux readings Lowbeam/Highbeam:

25Right-65/ 49 * 25Left-11/ 5

50Right-4/ 29 * 50Left-3/ 4

75Right-1/ 17 * 75Left-0/ 5

25 feet dead center 583/ 970

Z-beams, lowbeam, with Osram bulbs.

Z-beams, highbeam, with Osram bulbs.

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Hilldweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:27 PM   #2
Rcubed
2009 JK Wrangler 

Come on Bill, you have had them at least a couple or hours... where are the TruckLite pics?
Looking forward to your review.
R
Rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 10:48 PM   #3
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking forward to seeing these lights too!
I was going to get the D.S. Cibie's though I hoping this will change my plan

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2011, 11:47 PM   #4
Washi
Rockbiter

2009 JK Wrangler 

I'm looking forward to this as well! I am also hoping that you can do the same tests on stock lights and other lights as well, give a detailed yet dumbed down review (for those of us that don't have the grasp of lighting and laws that you do) and see it STICKIED!!! It really should be. I see these posts so often with no real results, all just personal feelings. I am glad to see the scientific method at work here. Puts a stop to many arguments. Good work and keep it up!
__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _______________________________________

/l ,[_____],
l----L-OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o-)_)
Washi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 04:30 AM   #5
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcubed View Post
Come on Bill, you have had them at least a couple or hours... where are the TruckLite pics?
Looking forward to your review.
R
It was cold and windy and the markers kept falling down; my hands were so cold that I just ran back home...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Washi View Post
I'm looking forward to this as well! I am also hoping that you can do the same tests on stock lights and other lights as well, give a detailed yet dumbed down review (for those of us that don't have the grasp of lighting and laws that you do) and see it STICKIED!!! It really should be. I see these posts so often with no real results, all just personal feelings. I am glad to see the scientific method at work here. Puts a stop to many arguments. Good work and keep it up!
Since I marked the test area, I can do a direct comparison with any light set-up.

Who's around Canton, GA that has a stock JK headlight system still and wants to drop by?
How about IPF or Delta?
I'll smoke some ribs...

Security is mostly a superstition. It does not exist in nature, nor do the children of men as a whole experience it. Avoiding danger is no safer in the long run than outright exposure. Life is either a daring adventure, or nothing.- Helen Keller
Unread 02-12-2011, 04:51 AM   #6
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

I graduated the pic to make it easier to know the distances.

All of my LUX readings were taken at the exact same height on the markers to mitigate any advantages in beam placement. It would be easy to move the sensor around to find the sweet spot ---- but I figured that if a dog ran out in front of you, he wouldn't jump around to find your headlights' sweet spot...

The high value at 25 feet was in the sweet spot though. I just wanted maximum LUX and datalogged for about 3 minutes at high and low.
The Cibie surprised me by having such a bias toward center; proves that subjective impressions are worth what you pay for them.

BTW, as a point of reference, it was totally black out there. You can't see a single marker with the lights off.

Unread 02-12-2011, 05:14 AM   #7
monkers
2010 JK Wrangler 

Thank you for the time and effort you put into all your lighting tests and all the advice and info you post......it helps alot of us out that do not grasp the lighting technology like you do...... Im planning to put the DS Cibie kit with Osram bulbs in my 2010 Rubicon.......thanks for all the help
monkers is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 06:41 AM   #8
Liquor
BOUNTY HUNTER

2007 JK Wrangler 

after drivng with LED lights on other vehicles, i like my deltas more. the humvees out here suck. the light is patchwork and different on each humvee. maybe they are all installed wrong or not aligned properly. still the light isnt close to my deltas on my JK. plus the cost of those LED lights. vendors much think we **** gold with diamonds as nuts and corn.

cant see your picks. .mil networks block all free image hosting sites. jeepforum.com has attachments. they there forever and quicker than any free site for hosting images.

looks like you are heading in the right direction and taking your time. they may be better. will you be a Jeep Beach this year? I'd like to compare lights.

Full Build Thread

2002 TJ Sport - Sold

"CAIN" '07 Jeep JK 426 HEMI 685 HP & 650 ft lbs
Facebook Twitter YouTube

MrDeids.com Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
Pitbull Tires Poison Spyder Customs Poly Performance Rigid Industries Rock Krawler Suspension Spiderweb Shade
Magazine Feature:
2007 Jeep Wrangler - 426 Hemi JK - All The Right Stuff Oct, '11
Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:52 AM   #9
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

The Truck-Lites are installed.

As I suspected, they flicker when run with the supplied H13-H4 adapter. The Jeep's PWM cycles quickly enough that you don't notice it with a halogen bulb due to the physics of burning filaments. But the ultra-rapid start/stop capabilities of an LED causes them to respond to the pulses by an obvious flicker. It is much more noticeable on highbeam.

I removed the pigtails and used an auxiliary harness to provide power. It uses the passenger side stock H13 plug to trip a pair of Bosch relays and draws power directly from the battery. The power is clean and steady.

The Truck-Lites appear very robust and fit in the cans perfectly. Install took about 15 minutes; aiming was completely painless as well due to their dramatically sharp cut-off.

We'll see how they perform tonight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Liquor View Post
after drivng with LED lights on other vehicles, i like my deltas more. the humvees out here suck. the light is patchwork and different on each humvee. maybe they are all installed wrong or not aligned properly. still the light isnt close to my deltas on my JK. plus the cost of those LED lights. vendors much think we **** gold with diamonds as nuts and corn.

cant see your picks. .mil networks block all free image hosting sites. jeepforum.com has attachments. they there forever and quicker than any free site for hosting images.

looks like you are heading in the right direction and taking your time. they may be better. will you be a Jeep Beach this year? I'd like to compare lights.
The old ones were an atrocity and weren't worth considering.
I feel the same about Deltas, for that matter...

So far so good with the new set; no judgments until nightfall though.

No Jeep Beach for me; I lived in Florida for 20 years and had enough of it. I'll be roadtripping to CO/NM in May though and will post about the trip on Expedition Portal soon. We're going to have Little Guy Trailers build a custom teardrop for us and this will be the big shakedown trip for it.

My Conqueror will be for sale soon too (for anybody that's had their eye on it).

Unread 02-12-2011, 08:10 AM   #10
Liquor
BOUNTY HUNTER

2007 JK Wrangler 

agreed, the originals do need some work.

i'll be on the event trial from april through august. im sure our paths will cross.

Full Build Thread

2002 TJ Sport - Sold

"CAIN" '07 Jeep JK 426 HEMI 685 HP & 650 ft lbs
Facebook Twitter YouTube

MrDeids.com Your Jeep and Gaming Social Network
2012 Sponsors:
Pitbull Tires Poison Spyder Customs Poly Performance Rigid Industries Rock Krawler Suspension Spiderweb Shade
Magazine Feature:
2007 Jeep Wrangler - 426 Hemi JK - All The Right Stuff Oct, '11
Liquor is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 10:11 AM   #11
acedude4
2008 JK Wrangler 

Anticipation building...can't wait to go to work and come back home to see the results
acedude4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:20 PM   #12
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by acedude4 View Post
Anticipation building...can't wait to go to work and come back home to see the results
You should've stayed at work...

They were underwhelming. A definite improvement over the first incarnation but hardly worth the fanfare. I feel let down; I really wanted them to work well.

Ambient temperature 36 degrees F; lens temperature 48 degrees F (might have been engine heat actually).

Lowbeam value in blue, high in red.

LUX at 25 feet, sensor moved to highest output spot. 353/885

25 yards Right: 15/42 * Left: 3/5

50 yards Right: 1/9 * Left: 0/4

75 yards Right: 0/4 * Left: 0/3

Truck-Lite Lowbeam:

Truck-Lite Highbeam:

Close-up

Not so close-up

After gathering the numbers, I took a little spin on some dark twisty roads.
Long story short, I'll be de-installing them tomorrow and putting the Z-Beams back in.
They don't behave like headlights; they behave like a handful of flashlights.

Unread 02-12-2011, 07:27 PM   #13
Rcubed
2009 JK Wrangler 

Damn! I was sooo hoping these puppies would be great.
Bill, have seen the JW Speaker LED's in person?
A bunch more $$$ though.
Thanks for your quick turnaround on the review.
Ron
Rcubed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-12-2011, 07:37 PM   #14
Hilldweller
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rcubed View Post
Bill, have seen the JW Speaker LED's in person?
Ron
No ---- but I'd sure like to...

I was so attracted to the idea of not worrying about changing lightbulbs....

A volunteer from the audience stepped up and is coming over tomorrow; he's got IPFs installed and we're going to put them through the paces too. This really intrigues me since we all know there's never been any photometry released on them and they've never been "certified" by IPF to meet DOT or ECE regs.
Wonder if it's because there's too much light (glare/stray) or too little? Or are they just fine and IPF is just nuts?

Unread 02-12-2011, 07:45 PM   #15
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

Well I guess it will be awhile before I get to remove the 6 Mag Lights that are duct-taped into my grill
I was hoping this test would finalize my decision
So far we can't seem to get D/S off the top of my list.

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.