Header Bow cracked.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Header Bow cracked..

OPTIC ARMOR WINDOWS all sale now !!!!!!!!Rough Country Jeep Suspension Deals at Rockridge 4WD!ExtremeTerrain.com Now Carries Raxiom Off-Road Technology

Unread 10-12-2009, 09:13 AM   #1
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Header Bow cracked..

Some of you may know that recently I was asking about the header bow. As SOME of you may also know, I had a leaky top. The dealership finally gave me a brand new top in April of 2009.

Now here I am, with a cracked header bow. I have been waiting 3 weeks for a response from my freaking "five star" dealership. I haven't heard a word. Last time I called they said: "We are still waiting a response from a Chrysler representative. Once we hear, you will be the first one to know."

From what I understand, they sent a e-mail to them. Couldn't call and tell me within 5 minutes?

What I am trying to find out is this part under warranty since it's practically new? Since it was replaced in April of 2009 (they told me), they told me it should be covered since it's under a 12 month warranty? And they said if it's not it'll be no more than $250 to replace and fix.

The driver side cracked first, now the passenger side is starting to crack. I can't put my top down anymore because it's so bad.

Any suggestions??

I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

Mango Tango 2010 JK Wrangler Rubicon
Silver 2000 TJ Wrangler Sport
---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.

Last edited by MacK; 10-12-2009 at 09:58 AM..
MacK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:15 AM   #2
Racer83L
2014 WK 

looks like you dont have much choice but to buy a new one...
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
SigMtnMan
2011 JK Wrangler 

Dude, you seem to be a little rough on your jeep.
Unread 10-12-2009, 09:59 AM   #4
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

No, you see I haven't been rough at all. I mean, it's a soft top. HECK! I Even put it into a soft top boot for when it was down. It was never stepped on, forced, or anything. I remember the dealer put the screw in sideways - I am wondering if this what weakened it.

Too rough? No way. I babied that top since the day I owned it. Yea, it's muddy, but those are stains. I've really taken care with proper lube and cleaning procedures. There is no reason why that should of cracked. All I can guess is bad/defective plastic from Chrysler. Why not... everything else is defective.

Before I pay $250 from the dealership, I'll just pay $150 for the part and fix it myself - but fix it right.

I just don't see how this wouldn't be under warranty. It IS practically brand new.
I don't want your d**n lemons! What the hell are these?! Demand to see life's manager! Make life rue the day it thought it could give Cave Johnson lemons! Do you know who I am? I'm the man who's gonna burn your house down! WITH THE LEMONS! I'm gonna get my engineers to invent a combustible lemon that BURNS YOUR HOUSE DOWN!

---
Quote:
The 2008 Jeep Wrangler is not so much an SUV as it is an experience. It's slow and loud, handles poorly, has crummy interior materials and features doors that provide virtually no crash protection. But when it comes to off-road performance, the Wrangler is simply the best choice available.
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:05 AM   #5
JWA

There is a TSB out to replace the plastic header bow with a new metal-reinforced version. This is primarily because the plastic one bows up and causes excessive wind noise and eventually leaking. I would think that it might also be more prone to cracking. I've posted the TSB number on here before, and there's a full thread with details on JK-Forum. I'd print out the TSB and take it in to the dealer and tell them that you want the new header bow under the terms of the TSB.
JWA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 10:19 AM   #6
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWA View Post
There is a TSB out to replace the plastic header bow with a new metal-reinforced version. This is primarily because the plastic one bows up and causes excessive wind noise and eventually leaking. I would think that it might also be more prone to cracking. I've posted the TSB number on here before, and there's a full thread with details on JK-Forum. I'd print out the TSB and take it in to the dealer and tell them that you want the new header bow under the terms of the TSB.
Thanks. I think you mentioned this before. I can't seem to find the TSB # after scanning all your posts. Is there a website with a list of TSBs?

---
Quote:
Unread 03-22-2010, 01:30 AM   #7
MacK
2010 JK Wrangler 

Alright guys.. about to get this fixed (finally). Does anyone know if under $250 is a good price? That's what the dealership wants to charge. By the way, my dealer never did call me for pricing or warranty info.

---
Quote:

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.