Hawaii Recon Inspection - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hawaii Recon Inspection

Artec 14b bolt BACKBONE trussNEW!! HMF 50"-52" light bar mounting brackets!! Engo is bringing New LED Light Bars to the table...Get a g

Unread 11-02-2013, 02:25 PM   #1
jeepfan30
2014 JK Wrangler 

Hawaii Recon Inspection

Hi guys,

I just made the switch from the Grand Cherokee side of the house to the JKU side....couldn't be happier! I picked up a 2014 Sport with 3" lift and 35's.

I am in the Army and moving to Hawaii next month, I have been doing some research and will not pass the Recon inspections with the current configuration. My front and rear tires stick outside the wheel wells about 2 inches, I was wondering is someone with a similar setup could give me some advise for this inspection? Will Bushwacker flat top flares cover my tires, I need 8" coverage for rear and 11.5" for front?

Do the fronts tires need to be covered, or just the rear?

If the Bushwacker flares don't cover I'll either have to find a stock set of wheels arms tire to put on for inspection day, then take them off afterwards, or use the Home Depot garden trim trick.

I really appreciate any advise, especially from someone who has dealt with this first hand. Glad to be a part of the forum, looking forward to learning and sharing. Thanks,

Unread 11-03-2013, 05:38 AM   #2
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

I just pcsd from Hawaii. During my time there I had an 08 JKU 4" lift and 35"tires. To get the recon this is what you will need. A current alignment showing that the vehicle is within spec. You will need mud flaps on the rear tires. My tires stuck out about 1/2" from the fender flares. All I did was purchase some landscaping black plastic trim temporarily attached it to the underside of the flares. Here is the deal once you get your recon sticker it is good for life and you will not need to go get it inspected again. So once you get the sticker I took all that stuff off just like everyone else does there. The Honolulu police(HPD) only police on the island will not pull you over once you have the sticker and that's why everyone takes the mud flaps etc off because they look stupid. But every year you will need to get a safety inspection which consists of insurance cards,lights working,wipers work etc. You will not be able to get a safety until you have they recon. All the recon does is say the vehicle was modified properly. There is only on shop in Honolulu that does it and if I remember right they only do it three times a week. Don't get scared about it like all the other SM's do there it was very easy. I went one day with my jeep and asked them to look at it and tell me what they wanted. They are the ones that suggested the garden plastic on fenders then remove it once I pass. Enjoy the islands I was lucky enough to extend there and did a 9 year tour of course deployments so ended up maybe 6 years there. They have some awesome off-roading there to. Good luck
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-03-2013, 08:49 AM   #3
jeepfan30
2014 JK Wrangler 

Thanks! I feel much better after hearing from someone with a similar setup to mine that has first hand knowledge. How long do I have to get the inspection done after my Jeep arrives? Thanks again!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waltjason View Post
I just pcsd from Hawaii. During my time there I had an 08 JKU 4" lift and 35"tires. To get the recon this is what you will need. A current alignment showing that the vehicle is within spec. You will need mud flaps on the rear tires. My tires stuck out about 1/2" from the fender flares. All I did was purchase some landscaping black plastic trim temporarily attached it to the underside of the flares. Here is the deal once you get your recon sticker it is good for life and you will not need to go get it inspected again. So once you get the sticker I took all that stuff off just like everyone else does there. The Honolulu police(HPD) only police on the island will not pull you over once you have the sticker and that's why everyone takes the mud flaps etc off because they look stupid. But every year you will need to get a safety inspection which consists of insurance cards,lights working,wipers work etc. You will not be able to get a safety until you have they recon. All the recon does is say the vehicle was modified properly. There is only on shop in Honolulu that does it and if I remember right they only do it three times a week. Don't get scared about it like all the other SM's do there it was very easy. I went one day with my jeep and asked them to look at it and tell me what they wanted. They are the ones that suggested the garden plastic on fenders then remove it once I pass. Enjoy the islands I was lucky enough to extend there and did a 9 year tour of course deployments so ended up maybe 6 years there. They have some awesome off-roading there to. Good luck
Unread 11-03-2013, 02:24 PM   #4
Waltjason
2011 JK Wrangler 

When I was there you had either 60 or 90 days. Can't remember but it was enough time.
Waltjason is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 10:36 AM   #5
BlackRUB1C0N
2010 JK Wrangler 

Good thing I came across this... I'm PCSing to Pearl Harbor and had no idea about the sticker or inspection (thanks TMO...) I assume I can Google the requirements?
BlackRUB1C0N is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 11-22-2013, 11:18 AM   #6
fratis

1991 YJ Wrangler 

Go away its too crouded as it is.
Here's a resource for you:
Oahujeepers.com

The Mudd flap thing is relatively new and after reading the (circa 1980) regulations I believe the super intelligent inspectors are missinterpreting their own literature.

If you work on base go early.

Have an open mind to other people and their culture.
fratis is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.