Having problems with Skyjacker lift on Unlimited X - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Having problems with Skyjacker lift on Unlimited X

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 03-19-2007, 12:07 PM   #1
PhotographyLove

Having problems with Skyjacker lift on Unlimited X

I have just had a Skyjacker 4" lift installled on my new Unlimited X and I am having extreme problems. When I hit a pothole at about 50 the front end starts bouncing violently and once I stop and start going again I am good until the next pothole. The pothole has to be pretty big and it is mostly spuratic. The problem is it is dangerous and I can't figure it out. I have taken it back to the shop that did the Skyjacker lift and everything seems ok and tight but I was wondering if any one else has had simular problems or what I should do... I am considering taking it back to the shop and having them put the stock suspension back on.

thanks

PhotographyLove is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 12:10 PM   #2
billy mo
2008 JK Wrangler 

Sounds like a case of the death wobbles. Did you have it aligned after the lift was installed?
Unread 03-19-2007, 12:30 PM   #3
PhotographyLove

I talked with the shop owner about itand he said it was not needed. Yes it is a death wobble.
Unread 03-19-2007, 12:31 PM   #4
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Depending on the size of tires you put onto your Jeep, you might wish to run a dual high-rate steering stabilizer. That has been a fix for alot of other Jeeps before this, and it worked on my YJ when I had that problem.

You might also wish to use Rancho adjustable shocks with In-Cab controller - play with the settings from 1 to 9 till you find a rate that controls the shakes.

Another thing to check - are all the bolts torqued to specifications, any play in the mounts at all?
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 12:42 PM   #5
PhotographyLove

One thing that happened was one of the bolts for the sway bars had fallen out but I suspect it was the effect of one of my death wobbles as opposed to the cause. Thank you for the help. After the bolt was replaced everything was good for a week and then it started again.
Unread 03-19-2007, 12:47 PM   #6
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

Jack up each wheel and loosen the lug nuts, shake the wheel, and reseat them against the spindle and slowly tighten each nut in the appropriate pattern. If the wheels are not hub centric, it could be caused by the wheel not being centered up properly so what I just mentioned should take care of it. Re-alignment not necessary? Sounds like you need to go to a different shop. The larger the lift, the more necessary the allignment is. From the factory, the allignment is not adjustment which is why the shop may have said what they said. After altering the suspension, the allignment will have to be checked and adjusted. On some of the more complete lift kits, such as from Black Diamond, a camber/caster adjustment kit is included that allows the allignment to be adjusted. On my 2000 F150, the allignment was not adjustable from the factory but I recently had to get a camber kit for it so it could be adjusted, and my truck does not have a lift kit or anything. Hope that helps.
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 01:37 PM   #7
apollo111

I have the same lift on my 2 door,and had similar problems as yours.I added a skyjacker HD steering damper(stock damper is POS),and changed upper sway bar link bolts for longer ones and double nutted them.This solved 90% of wobble.Still a very light wobble sometimes at about 60 to 70 kmh.I could probably use a dual steering stabilizer as NaeKid suggests.Hope this helps.
apollo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-19-2007, 02:24 PM   #8
bonedigger

you probably need to get your caster adjusted.
bonedigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:00 AM   #9
PhotographyLove

Bonedigger

The shop called Skyjacker and they suggested adjusting the caster to the max so we are trying that today.

Apollo

After the sway bar bolt fell out I put in a longer bolt with the ny-lock nut on it but never thought to double nut it. I am interested that you still have wobble. I have found that with the Skyjacker lift the drive went from very stable due to the 4 door to almost sloppy. It now feels like the rear end is trying to pass me all the time. Are you having the same feel with the 2 door?
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:08 AM   #10
stathunter

what shocks are you running?

2004 [B]Black X[/B] w/ RE LA 37" SSR's, etc etc [url]http://www.je-ep.com/[/url]

[COLOR="Blue"]In Michigan? Call Jim from [url]www.Jeepin-Customizing.com[/url][/COLOR]
"Do or do not, there is no try" Yoda
stathunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 07:31 AM   #11
PhotographyLove

We went with the Skyjacker hydro shocks that came witht he lift kit
Unread 03-20-2007, 02:13 PM   #12
apollo111

My 2 door feels a bit less stable than stock,nothing major.I think this is mostly due to the larger tires.I'm runnin mickey thompson 315 75 r16's on 16x8 rim.
It was also suggested to me to adjust caster,but havent done it yet.Curious to know if it helps you.
apollo111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 05:53 PM   #13
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

There is a reason why some manufacturers include a caster/camber kit..........
Prot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-20-2007, 08:55 PM   #14
billy mo
2008 JK Wrangler 

I'm still trying to adjust my SkyJacker kit. When I hit the gas, it pushes to the left. Let off the gas, it pulls to the right. Are you having a similar issue when you say that you feel like the rear is trying to pass you?
Unread 03-20-2007, 09:01 PM   #15
igofshn
Locked @ both ends

Quote:
Originally Posted by billy mo
I'm still trying to adjust my SkyJacker kit. When I hit the gas, it pushes to the left. Let off the gas, it pulls to the right. Are you having a similar issue when you say that you feel like the rear is trying to pass you?
Do you have an automatic locker in the rear?

[Jeep Pics
igofshn is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.