Have You Driven A Two Door? - Merged - JeepForum.com

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 07:28 AM Thread Starter
BUBBABOW

Have You Driven A Two Door? - Merged

I have seen all the responses to the engine performance in a four door, but if you have driven a two door JK what is the reaction to the new engine in it?

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 07:59 AM
Sahara GT
2011 JK Wrangler 

Great !--I have a 2 door Sahara -6 speed --Plenty of pep for the type of driving I do and so far over 20 mpg--No Complaint with the new engine.
post #3 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 08:57 AM
gerrynjr

2007 JK Wrangler 

I test drove a new 2 door for kicks to see how these new models were. I did not like the low end power (or lack thereof) of the new engine. If they decide to drop a HEMI or a blutec diesel into it, then I might consider getting the new model after the bugs have been worked out.

-2007 Jeep Wrangler X auto, Jeep Green, stock for now-

post #4 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 09:35 AM
bw1128

i liked the v6
post #5 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 10:08 AM
ToolFan

what did you like about the v6?
post #6 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 05:57 PM
YJ-Mike

Just got back from driving one, I plan to either buy a 06 or 07 Wrangler X in the next couple of days. I gotta say that I felt a little cramped in the 07. The window crank hit me in the knee with the window up, uncomfortable considering all the knee movement with a standard.

I gotta admit that I did like the freedom top, kinda like a hard & soft top all rolled into one. That said, I felt that the removable pieces of the top were kinda flimsy.

I am also not sold on the grille on the 07. Kinda looks like a TJ and Liberty grill produced this as offspring.

Did some dickering on the 06, got their "best" number (the first time around), after the $1750 incentive. Told him I was paying cash, and he went back in for round two, came back out with a new 'best' number. Sprung the $500 Jeep Heroes (for active, retired, and honorably discharged military - good untill 12/31/06 but only on 06 models), and he came back with another 'best' number ($23,177 out the door - 6% tax in CT/tags/registration/etc - sticker is $23,845). Told him I would pay $22K even out the door. They (with business manager this time) came back with $22,500, with the BM explaining that the profit margin on Jeeps was only $1200 or so which is clearly BS. Couldn't ask for the invoice because the Jeep I want is actually on another dealers lot. Gonna wait a day or two or go back and see where things stand.

My impressions on the 07 overall is that it felt like a Jeep, sorta looked like a Jeep, and definitely rode like a Jeep. I gotta also admit that I am not sure that I care for the integrated fender/flare thing up front. Kinda looks like it was added as an afterthought.

To answer the original poster's question, the engine power/torque felt adequate. The engine definitely looked like it was shoe-horned in, very far back in the engine compartment. Changing the rear plug on the passenger side looks to be a PITA.

Mike

2006 TJ X (Stock - w/ Borla Cat-Back Exhaust)

Built a YJ from the ground up:

- '04 4.0L (4,000 miles), NV3550 (0 miles), NP231 w/ HD SYE (9,000 miles), 33x12.50x15 Pro-Comp AT's, HP D30/8.8 (4.56 gears), ARB Lockers front and rear w/ compressor, hard/soft tops, full/half doors.
-----> Build thread can be read here:
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 06:01 PM
Hip2u77
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by BUBBABOW
I have seen all the responses to the engine performance in a four door, but if you have driven a two door JK what is the reaction to the new engine in it?

Just an FYI. The Unlimiteds only weigh a couple hundred pounds more than the 2 door, so it shouldn't be a huge difference.
post #8 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 06:39 PM
akicklighter

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJI
gotta say that I felt a little cramped in the 07. The window crank hit me in the knee with the window up, uncomfortable considering all the knee movement with a standard.
While I didn't feel that cramped in the 2 door JK, I do have to harp on the window crank. I, too, feel like it's quite in the way. Although this might be interpreted as griping about the little things, it does bang you in the knee.

I was pleased with the V6, by the way. It isn't a torque monster, but it'll boogy with the 4.10 gears. I am comming from driving an I-4, 67 flywheel HP Suzuki Samurai, though.
post #9 of 14 Old 10-16-2006, 06:52 PM
SecondTJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YJ-Mike

I gotta admit that I did like the freedom top, kinda like a hard & soft top all rolled into one. That said, I felt that the removable pieces of the top were kinda flimsy.
if you really like that feature, you can get a top just like it aftermarket for the TJ

'98 Sport, 4.0, AX-15, D44, 3.73, stock w/ 10k original miles

Gone - 2000 Sport, 1987 YJ, 1997 SE, 1998 XJ
post #10 of 14 Old 10-30-2006, 12:34 PM
DekX

JK First TEST DRIVE Review with Issues

I'm sorry folks, but I drove the 2 door JK lastnight and I'm 6'2", I lowered the seat all the way down and even still my head touch the roll bar.

Looks like they increased the height of the body while the roll bar height diminished.. Anyone else notice this. Also the back seat floor slopes taking away soem much needed foot space.

As far as engine performace... she drives very cherokee like, extremely quiet on the hwy even witha a softop, but I find the torque to be less than the TJ 4.0L. Overall, a nice drive but lacks a distinctive Jeep jump to her. Shifting is smooth but I prefer the longer shifter... they shortened this one up.

Lastly, did anyone notice that to into the back in a 2 door, you have to climb either though the PAX seatbelt harness or awkwardly over it. Very cumbseron as it attachment point is the PAX seat itself.

i think I might try to swindle a deal for a '06 Rubicon... interested in your feedback and expriences..
Thanks
post #11 of 14 Old 10-30-2006, 06:52 PM
jeepdude_to

Quote:
Originally Posted by DekX
I'm sorry folks, but I drove the 2 door JK lastnight and I'm 6'2", I lowered the seat all the way down and even still my head touch the roll bar.
I'm also 6'2, but did not notice my head touching the roll bar when I test drove. I too moved the seat all the way down. I also reclined it a bit. Found the driving position comfortable.

Jeep Green Rubicon
post #12 of 14 Old 10-30-2006, 08:30 PM
RiXoN

My brother is 6'4" and had no issues. I actually own the 2007 JK rubicon now and I can't stop complimenting this Jeep! It's amazing. The body and platform is very strong and stiff and my Rubi climbs like it should. I will install the 4.5" lift on the weekend with the 33s. I will post some pics when I'm done.

I took it on the trails and "rock gardens" in AF canyon here ein Utah and I must say that this is the bes "Out of the box" wrangler I have ever driven!!! Can't wait to see what my upgrades will do to it
post #13 of 14 Old 10-30-2006, 10:26 PM
Laxstar46

gotta say the v6 is just not cuttin it for me. no low end grunt. think im gonna have to wait for a diesel wrangler but that dodge ram 2500 turbo diesel six speed is lookin awfully good right now at only 34k
post #14 of 14 Old 10-31-2006, 06:11 AM
eyoung88

Just got it off the dealership yesterday. Overall, it is a beast to me compare to a TJ(looking). The V6 is not as powerful as the I6, missing low-end. Gas paddle might be little too sensitive. Brake and handling are much more smooth. Turning in about 30-40mpg feels like driving a car, instead a jeep. i would never think this jeep is going to roll over. Suspension perfectly tuned, my old one is more bummpy going over ramp and stuff. Lights are much more brighter and wider area.

Soft-top is very quiet. I was surprise. Driving it feels like driving a car. Power option is the best thing ever. Power windows and locks. I love the beep sound when i lock the doors. When i unlock the jeep, lights turn on automatically. It only opens the driver door when press it one time. Doors are hard to shut. It has a lot more trunk space. Sounds system is pretty good.

I would say the rubicon makes the wranglers looks a lot better than other models. Might be just the 32' tires. But it sure looks a lot better than other JK model.

07 Flame Red Jeep Rubicon with power option and remote start

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.