Hardtop Removal/Storage Solution - One Person Operation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hardtop Removal/Storage Solution - One Person Operation

ECGS Black Friday Sale!!6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!Alloy usa heavy duty ball joint kits

Unread 04-08-2008, 01:41 PM   #1
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hardtop Removal/Storage Solution - One Person Operation

Heys guys. Was bored here at work so I figured I'd share my one person operated hard top removal and storage solution.

Basically it is just a structure built from 2x6's that you slide the top onto. Its a great alternative if you don't have a garage or a winch to pull it up and the best part is you can remove the top by yourself. With some practice it can take no time at all. I'd say with a power drill and torx head I can completely remove the entire Freedom Top by myself in under 15 minutes.

You just back the Jeep up to the stand, take out all the torx bolts, slide it on the stand, and drive away. Check it out:

DeepSky is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:04 PM   #2
Brent_f70
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

click free

6.7 HEMI, ProRock 60's, Atlas 4 speed t-case, on board air, Teraflex long arm plus ACOS, 37 inch Maxxis Trepadors, 5.38 gears, AEV bumper, Custom AEV hood, Warn 9.5, Nemesis aluminum sliders and fenders, Or-Fab front cage, Poly Performance rear cage, Hutchinson Beadlocks, PJ rear bumper, HD Teraflex track bars, tantrum rock lights, woods shafts, corbeau LG-1 seats, Chaser Trailer........TIME TO PLAY!!! Colorado Jeep Club member #177
Brent_f70 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:25 PM   #3
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Seems like a lot of effort just to avoid asking a friend to come over and help you with the top twice a year.

Now that the top is sitting there on that rack - do you just drive off and leave it there - hoping it will still be there when you return? Or do you drag it off into the woods, or what?

I commend your ingenuity - but I think it may be misapplied (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:42 PM   #4
Dan Marino
1994 YJ Wrangler 

Leave Off

Texasdog,

Why bash the guy's hard top removal/storage solution? Just because you have a computer and a keyboard doesn't make you the superior autority on everything. I say if it works for him, then that's great. If you don't like it, then don't use his idea. No need to try and belittle the guy. People contributing ideas about what works for them is what makes this form worthwhile. I don't see the benefit of trashing other people's ideas.

Best wishes to all.

Unread 04-08-2008, 02:48 PM   #5
Jesuswon1

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepSky View Post
Heys guys. Was bored here at work so I figured I'd share my one person operated hard top removal and storage solution.

Basically it is just a structure built from 2x6's that you slide the top onto. Its a great alternative if you don't have a garage or a winch to pull it up and the best part is you can remove the top by yourself. With some practice it can take no time at all. I'd say with a power drill and torx head I can completely remove the entire Freedom Top by myself in under 15 minutes.

You just back the Jeep up to the stand, take out all the torx bolts, slide it on the stand, and drive away.
Not too shabby! Looks like a usable solution for some. Thanks for sharing your ideas

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasdog View Post
Seems like a lot of effort just to avoid asking a friend to come over and help you with the top twice a year.
seems like your parents didn't affirm you enough as a child. I've come across some of your replies in other threads, and you rarely seem to have anything constructive to say. It's mostly caustic sarcasm. Why is that?
Jesuswon1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:49 PM   #6
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Marino View Post
Why bash the guy's hard top removal/storage solution?
What bash? I asked questions about potential shortcomings and even commended his ingenuity. I hardly trashed his idea. But nice try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesuswon1 View Post
seems like your parents didn't affirm you enough as a child. I've come across some of your replies in other threads, and you rarely seem to have anything constructive to say. It's mostly caustic sarcasm.
Wow! You might try looking at your own statement here.

The OP put his idea out into the marketplace of ideas. I commented on the idea represented. I didn't attack the person presenting it. You might try it some time.

Jezz.
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:57 PM   #7
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Now that the top is sitting there on that rack - do you just drive off and leave it there - hoping it will still be there when you return? Or do you drag it off into the woods, or what?

I live in an apartment and there is no way I would leave it there, so I built this at my friends house in a fenced in backyard. I take the top off there and leave it there till I want to put it back on.

I find it a lot more convenient to not be bound to having to call and wait on a friend to take it on and off. Plus it is easier to use this shelf by myself than it is to lift the top off the Jeep and set it on the ground with a friend.

Also I live in FL and we get random rain that can last a few days so I take off and put the top back on more than a few times a year.

For example there was 4-5 days in late February where the temps were in the 70's so I took the top off, after that short week of nice weather it went back to acting like winter and I put it back on.

The long and short of it is that not only is it easier to do it yourself in terms of bending/moving than it is with a buddy it is also more convent. I can pop the top off whenever I want and not have to worry about waiting till my friends wake up, get off work, or whatever.
Unread 04-08-2008, 02:59 PM   #8
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:

Looks to me as if he has a fenced backyard, and most likely no one will be able to get to it. I think its a good low budget idea. Very good. If you had a garage and enough room you could use that setup as well. There are many people that have well protected backyards. I would like to see someone come in my backyard and try to steal a hardtop.
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:04 PM   #9
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

i see what your saying tdog, what you could do is screw it down to the rack to keep it from wandering, or the wind getting it. but it rains down here all the time so i am assuming that deepsky will need to put it on more freqently than 2 times a year. so asking someone would become a hassle. i like it though.
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:07 PM   #10
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
The long and short of it is that not only is it easier to do it yourself in terms of bending/moving than it is with a buddy it is also more convent. I can pop the top off whenever I want and not have to worry about waiting till my friends wake up, get off work, or whatever.
Sounds like you take the hard top off and on a lot more frequently than I would have guessed and that you don't have a soft top. Under these conditions - then yeah, inviting someone over to help out would be a real drag.

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
I would like to see someone come in my backyard and try to steal a hardtop.
I think you underestimate the initiative of some thieves. I swear to god, they will steal ANYTHING, just because they can. News of the Weird reveals all (:

Quote:
i see what your saying tdog, what you could do is screw it down to the rack to keep it from wandering, or the wind getting it
Oh yeah - wind, that's a good point too.

I guess what I was trying to get at there is, were it me, I would modify the device so that I could lock the top on there. You know, build up the sides a bit and put a cross bar or two across it, hinged, and locked down with a padlock. I know, I know - I'm such a basher!! Bad dog, BAD!!!

Now, I realize that a thief is gonna get it if he or she (or they or it or them) is really determined, but deterrence does have some value in keeping the lazier thieves away and encouraging them to move on to easier targets. Such a mod would help against wind too.

On an unrelated note - I found that after letting the top sit all summer long with the window up that when I put it back on, the window wanted to stay up - rather than in the down position. I recommend modifying the device as necessary to keep the window in the down position. Yeah, I know - another bash, but you know, that's just me being a bad dog.

Cheers!
td
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:10 PM   #11
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

i would have figured that all the scum ended up here in south fla. do they have a large scumbag chapter in the arctic?

sorry about the off topic
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:17 PM   #12
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctown67 View Post
i would have figured that all the scum ended up here in south fla. do they have a large scumbag chapter in the arctic?
Human scum are like bacteria - they can thrive anywhere.
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:20 PM   #13
onlyone
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Sounds like you take the hard top off and on a lot more frequently than I would have guessed and that you don't have a soft top. Under these conditions - then yeah, inviting someone over to help out would be a real drag.

I think you underestimate the initiative of some thieves. I swear to god, they will steal ANYTHING, just because they can. News of the Weird reveals all (:

Oh yeah - wind, that's a good point too.

I guess what I was trying to get at there is, were it me, I would modify the device so that I could lock the top on there. You know, build up the sides a bit and put a cross bar or two across it, hinged, and locked down with a padlock. I know, I know - I'm such a basher!! Bad dog, BAD!!!

Now, I realize that a thief is gonna get it if he or she (or they or it or them) is really determined, but deterrence does have some value in keeping the lazier thieves away and encouraging them to move on to easier targets. Such a mod would help against wind too.

Cheers!
td
I guess if they want it that bad they can have it. Thats what insurance is for. I don't underestimate those losers. I had my 68 RS/SS Camaro stolen and cut up in pieces. I take precautions for such lowlife scum. I don't believe you bashed anyone. Some people just take posts too harshly. Everyone is different. You BAD DOG you!
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:25 PM   #14
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by onlyone View Post
I guess if they want it that bad they can have it. Thats what insurance is for.
Now, this brings up a good point that I have been wondering about. If my hard top is sitting in my yard and gets stolen:

a). Will they want to cover it under homeowner's insurance, rather than auto insurance?

b). Will they refuse to cover it under auto insurance, since it was not attached to the auto when it was stolen?

c). Will they try to refuse covering it at all, under the theory that you did not take reasonable and prudent measures to protect your own property? After all, who leaves a $2000 item sitting in the yard for someone to steal?

The answers make a big difference in terms of the deductible that will be applied, potential increase in rates, and so forth. If you rent, rather than own, and you do not have renter's insurance, and they do not cover it under auto, then you're screwed.

Seems like the answers to these questions are things people should try to find out for themselves, since the situation may be different depending on your circumstances.

Quote:
I don't underestimate those losers. I had my 68 RS/SS Camaro stolen and cut up in pieces.
Dude, that sucks.

Quote:
I don't believe you bashed anyone. Some people just take posts too harshly. Everyone is different. You BAD DOG you!
Woof!!
Unread 04-08-2008, 03:31 PM   #15
DeepSky
2007 JK Wrangler 

Hrm...

The thought of it getting stolen never crossed my mind. Its a pretty decent neighborhood, and a thing of this size would be pretty difficult to steel (especially getting it over a 5-8 foot high fence. But anything could happen. I bet I could fashion an easy way to lock it down.

Good call on the glass part BTW. I do find that when I come back to put it down it doesn't want to go easy. The main reason I leave it up is it balances the front to the back and makes it perfectly stable. Its survived a two day spur of insanely fast gusting winds without falling over, but I would like to keep the glass part down if I could. Again, probably an easy way to do that.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.