Hard Top Storage - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Top Storage

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 07-08-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
Widgeonduck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hard Top Storage

I have limited space. What is the best rack to use for hard top storage. I have the smitybilt now. Kind of a pain.

Widgeonduck is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
CJATE

I mounted a 2x6 up high, and an eye hook 5' apart on the ceiling. I (with a buddy) set the rear glass on the shelf then hold the front up with a ratchet strap.

Been up there for a few years now. I park under it.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
35's, fenders cut
bad paint
leaks just about everything
CJATE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:00 PM   #3
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

If you have a garage, a hoist would be your best bet. I used this thread to go off of, and just tailored it to my needs. There are systems you can buy for just a little more, but I was feeling adventurous and built my own. For me, all the parts came from Home Depot, except the manual winch/crank--I got that from Harbor Freight.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2013, 10:30 PM   #4
Border
2010 JK Wrangler 

An interesting alternative :

http://www.jeepforum.de/topic/90028-...ommerresidenz/
Border is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2013, 12:51 AM   #5
DangFoo
I Had Bacon Today

2013 JK Wrangler 

I bought the mobile stand (sort of like a furniture dolley) and the top sits covered on the side yard. Quadratec sells a couple different versions.

Hoists work for some, but I don't like them. Mainly because we get tremors here in CA and even seemingly stable stud mounted items can get dislodged with enough sway. Plus my kids run around in the garage and it's not worth the risk of somebody accidentally knocking it and the whole thing comes down. For my family, it's a safer bet on the side of the house, it's wedged behind our wood stack, so it's not going anywhere or falling on anybody.

Depends on where you have space and whether you prefer to eat up garage area or yard.
DangFoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:54 PM   #6
Widgeonduck
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hardtop Storage

Thanks for the replies. I have a small garage and hanging space is not available. Wish it was. the pic from germany i guess looks interesting. May just keep what i have now and take a little more care when i use it.
Unread 07-11-2013, 01:55 PM   #7
Widgeonduck
2008 JK Wrangler 

The rachet strap idea may work.
Unread 07-12-2013, 08:24 PM   #8
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

I Built this for about $35.00

HardTop Storage.pdf

There are a few samples that you can use to custom it - also plans at the end... Worked good for me - (Just get the larger 2 inch wheels if you find em. worth it...
SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2013, 11:30 PM   #9
MPitchford72
2014 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SkipperTW

There are a few samples that you can use to custom it - also plans at the end... Worked good for me - (Just get the larger 2 inch wheels if you find em. worth it...
Can't see a pic.
MPitchford72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:39 AM   #10
SkipperTW
2013 JK Wrangler 

There is a .pdf attached to it - (See above message) you can open that...
SkipperTW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 10:08 PM   #11
Widgeonduck
2008 JK Wrangler 

The home made cart looks better then any of the store bought I have seen. Thanks for the pic. Larger wheels with locks would be a big benefit.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.