from Hard Top to Soft Top - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > from Hard Top to Soft Top

USA Standard Chromoly Front Axle Shaft Kits with Dana 30 4TJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGStainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Unread 06-03-2010, 08:15 PM   #1
coachpete
2010 JK Wrangler 

from Hard Top to Soft Top

Hello all,

I am new to Jeep Ownership. I just purchased a 4door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Islander Edition. It can with a Hard Top installed and after witing 6 weeks I just picked up my soft top. I am looking for some assistance or best practices people have had with going from a Hard Top and installing a Soft Top. The instruction I got with the Soft Top are vague and I want to make sure I install it correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated.

coachpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:26 PM   #2
nwbronco
2014 JK Wrangler 

Go to Jeep .com. They have a video there of a tech doing it. The owner's manual is pretty straightforward as well.

Bob K.
nwbronco is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #3
JLaBouff
2008 JK Wrangler 

Here is a link to a youtube version of that video. Some people have trouble figuring out how to get the rain guards to make a V after they have it folded back. This should help.

YouTube - OPERATING A SOFT TOP UNLIMITED 4 DOOR JEEP WRANGLER
JLaBouff is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 08:55 PM   #4
waterboarder
2007 JK Wrangler 

Putting that soft top on the first time is a *****. Forget about using the owner's manual. I haven't seen the video - but I wish I had had a video to look at when I did it. Were it not for my wife's calming efforts, I would have thrown the thing in the trash and forgot about it.

That said - now it is easy (:
waterboarder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:07 PM   #5
JeeperMan
2002 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coachpete View Post
Hello all,

I am new to Jeep Ownership. I just purchased a 4door Jeep Wrangler Unlimited Islander Edition. It can with a Hard Top installed and after witing 6 weeks I just picked up my soft top. I am looking for some assistance or best practices people have had with going from a Hard Top and installing a Soft Top. The instruction I got with the Soft Top are vague and I want to make sure I install it correctly. Any help is greatly appreciated.
call dealer see if they still have video on how to install. my tj came with video on all that stuff.

its not to difficult. just takes a little patience the first time.
Unread 06-03-2010, 09:46 PM   #6
JLC08JK
What was I thinking?

2008 JK Wrangler 

My Jeep: 2008 Jeep Wrangler Soft Top Guide
Here is the video for 2008, you can get to the new one from there.
Welcome to the Club

99% of Your JK Questions will be Answered Here
JK F.A.Q./WILL IT RUB and Popular Threads

Protect Our Rights to Freedom and the Environment
Visit the EnviroBeat
JLC08JK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2010, 07:46 PM   #7
ljcrochet
2010 JK Wrangler 

Make sure you open up all the soft top pieces and install the black bars around the frame otherwise you will be doing what we did tonight and wonder where in the door channel.
ljcrochet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 08:54 AM   #8
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Keep in mind, too, that on your 2010 model, it was redesigned so that the rain guards above the doors don't actually tuck into any channels. The rear quarter windows, however, is what usually throws people off. Here is where you need to make sure the windows are tucked in correctly into the channel.
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:50 AM   #9
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

I did the whole thing without a manual, because the short version sucks and the owners manual in a 2010 is on a DVD...
It's pretty straight forward but a hell of a job the first time. I did it last week, I only wonder what the 2 short bolts are for. The same ones as the 4 long ones in the door surrounds, but then very short thread.

For the rest, just figure it out as you go and remember it sucks to fit it for the first time, it'll be a LOT easier once you know the drill.
Unread 06-05-2010, 10:59 AM   #10
aznjeep

2013 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jos360 View Post
I did it last week, I only wonder what the 2 short bolts are for. The same ones as the 4 long ones in the door surrounds, but then very short thread.
If you're talking about the bolts with the plastic "knob" things (not sure what the technical term is), the 4 longer ones go above each door, where the obvious locations are. The other 2, shorter ones, go above the b-pillar (on the top side, between the front and rear doors. If you look from above, you'll see where it's supposed to go (you'll have to at least open the sun-rider part of the top to gain access).
'99 TJ "L'il Pepper" (sold)
aznjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2010, 11:13 AM   #11
Jos360
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by aznjeep View Post
If you're talking about the bolts with the plastic "knob" things (not sure what the technical term is), the 4 longer ones go above each door, where the obvious locations are. The other 2, shorter ones, go above the b-pillar (on the top side, between the front and rear doors. If you look from above, you'll see where it's supposed to go (you'll have to at least open the sun-rider part of the top to gain access).
Ah, sure enough! I know what you mean. I just bolted back the 2 torx screws that came out of there from the hard top. But it does make more sense to put the ones with the plastic knob in there.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.