hard top removal - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > hard top removal

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 02-28-2007, 11:09 PM   #1
studdboyz75

hard top removal

has anyone removed their hard top yet?
if so how heavy is it? can me and wifey handle it or do I have to buy my buddies beer to come help everytime I take it off ?
I've owned two yj's but both were soft tops.
would a hoist be money well spent?
I saw some quick disconnect type handles that replace the nuts and bolts that seems to make better sense than jumping in the back with a drill evrytime.

studdboyz75 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 12:13 AM   #2
jeepers3

It is easy. Your and your wife can do it just fine. Money on a hoist is a waste if you ask me.

Make sure you get yourself a T40 and T30 bit for a ratchet, and an extender, and you will be fine.
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 05:39 AM   #3
redrom01
JCOB-4-LIFE

2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3
It is easy. Your and your wife can do it just fine. Money on a hoist is a waste if you ask me.

Make sure you get yourself a T40 and T30 bit for a ratchet, and an extender, and you will be fine.
I'll second that. It's not to bad to handle. Though if you bought the dual top then this is where the extender for you ratchet will come in very handy, trust me.

______o00o
/__l_l_,\____\,__
l_---l_l__l----[ ]llllll[ ]
._(o)_)__(o)_)--o-)_)__

-Current Jeep-
2007 JK Rubi (Steel Blue)
Searching for an MJ

|¯¯l,[___],
l---L--OlllllllO¬
=~~~==oo==
()_) ()_)--<>-)_)
redrom01 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 06:30 AM   #4
infosponge

I made a cheap lift out of ratchet straps and that made it a snap to get the hard top on and off and stowed in the garage.
infosponge is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 06:44 AM   #5
YlwColumbia

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrom01
I'll second that. It's not to bad to handle. Though if you bought the dual top then this is where the extender for you ratchet will come in very handy, trust me.
Agreed! (And what redrom01 said...)

Last edited by YlwColumbia; 03-01-2007 at 06:54 AM..
YlwColumbia is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 06:57 AM   #6
FLSeaMonkey

My wife and I did it. Not too bad, but a little scary. I lifted the back and she took the front. We had a neighbor help us put it back on. 2 is doable, 3 makes it much easier.
FLSeaMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 07:23 AM   #7
JeF4y

3 is a breeze... I removed/installed mine with my 2 kids 12/15...
Unread 03-01-2007, 08:42 AM   #8
boidy7

put mine back on last night with my girlfriend and had everything on and tightened in about 20 min. not bad, little strange with the grip but nothing too bad
boidy7 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 10:18 AM   #9
strykermp5

disconnect the bolts that lock it on the the body... get inside the back... push up and toward the rear of the vehicle... throw in trash... replace with soft top!

j/k

my YJ has both the hard and soft top... hard top is a ***** to remove, but is quieter and warmer in the winter. mine weighs about 85-100 lbs

Optional Equipment:
M4 (x2)
Sig 226
strykermp5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 12:47 PM   #10
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepers3

What are the storage options if you don't use a hoist? Can you just stand it on end in the garage?--or do you at least have to use one of those dollys or other type of stand?...
sdebol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 12:58 PM   #11
strykermp5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdebol
What are the storage options if you don't use a hoist? Can you just stand it on end in the garage?--or do you at least have to use one of those dollys or other type of stand?...
i would not recommend standing it up... b/c it is heavy for one and the fiberglass chips easily

i would lay it flat (not on the top) on a blanket or hoist it up...

Optional Equipment:
M4 (x2)
Sig 226
strykermp5 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:26 PM   #12
jeepers3

Quote:
I plan to just put it in the back yard with a tarp over it. No room in my 1 car garage, that's for sure.
jeepers3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:36 PM   #13
YlwColumbia

Quote:
How high is your garage ceiling? I don't use a hoist. I built a shelf/platform with 2x4's and plywood and lag-bolted it into the ceiling studs. Twice a year I swap out the hard top to the soft top, etc.

http://www.imagestation.com/6259975/4165811230
Unread 03-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #14
sdebol
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by YlwColumbia
How high is your garage ceiling? I don't use a hoist. I built a shelf/platform with 2x4's and plywood and lag-bolted it into the ceiling studs. Twice a year I swap out the hard top to the soft top, etc.

http://www.imagestation.com/6259975/4165811230

Nice picture--that would work for me. Do you remember how low it hangs from the ceiling?

Anyone use the Mopar dolly that holds the top and doors?

Thanks,
Steve
sdebol is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 03-01-2007, 03:04 PM   #15
YlwColumbia

Quote:
Nice picture--that would work for me. Do you remember how low it hangs from the ceiling?

Thanks,
Steve
Off the top of my head, I don't remember. I cut the lengths of the 2x4's hanging down from the ceiling to be about 6" longer than the height of my Hard Top. Cost of materials for the whole thing was about $60.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.