Hard top leaking. Yippie! - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard top leaking. Yippie!

New For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S ExhaNew For October! Flowmaster Black Ceramic Coated 304S Exha

Unread 09-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #1
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Hard top leaking. Yippie!

First day after i put my hard top on and it's leaking. It rained today and when I came home to check sure enough it's leaking. Same spots on driver and passenger. The carpet under the drivers seat is pretty wet though.

That's the passenger side. The driver side was same if not worse

image-3426420084.jpg   image-247507786.jpg   image-219766811.jpg  
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 08:10 AM   #2
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

I got the seals replaced under warranty for the same problem.
Unread 09-15-2012, 12:31 PM   #3
BigNunz6
2015 WK 

A leaking hard top....shocking.
Unread 09-15-2012, 01:15 PM   #4
rirrgang
2007 JK Wrangler 

Really, that's funny.
Unread 09-15-2012, 06:24 PM   #5
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

I fixed my leak by putting a small insulation tape parrellel to the roof line, about 1/3 inch below the top edge. Mine leaked especially when I made right turns. Insulation tape doesn't have to be thick, 1/16 inch thick was plenty to stop the leak.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-15-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I think I've narrowed it down to the corner foam stuff where the front panels meet the rear right at the pillar. The foam is worn down on both side at the same spot.

I put soapy water and cranked the air inside. Little bubbles were everywhere! Coming out of doors, the back window and pretty much all over the hardtop.

Not sure what to do here. I'm out of warranty for this stuff. Don't get me wrong. I'm not afraid of a little water. Worst case I rip out carpet. I just don't want salty slushy water all over the interior all winter long. Like a cancer for vehicles.

I googled for seal kits and all I found was crap. It didn't appear there were any kits the just replace existing seals with new ones. It seemed to be all weather stripping like you described that foam stuff.

I'm about ready to seal the crap out of it with clear silicone and call it a day. I'll deal with the mess in the spring.
Unread 09-15-2012, 07:50 PM   #7
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

I'll try the expanding waterproof foam seal stuff. It's $8 for 10 feet at home depot. Canadian tire wants $30 for 13 inches! That's a no brainer
Unread 09-16-2012, 07:48 AM   #8
Jeepin It
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
I'll try the expanding waterproof foam seal stuff. It's $8 for 10 feet at home depot. Canadian tire wants $30 for 13 inches! That's a no brainer
Let us know how it works out for you.
2004 TJ Sahara
RIP
1992 YJ Renegade.
Jeepin It is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-16-2012, 08:01 AM   #9
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

^^^ will do. I will take pics and see where else I can add it to help seal stuff
Unread 09-18-2012, 11:53 AM   #10
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Well I seem to have fixed it. Time for DIY 30 minutes. This is a solution to the B pillar leak that gets seatbelt wet and floor under seats. As I get more leaks I'll post those ones as well.

I bought waterproof sealant tape at homedepot for $10.

Than using a hair dryer removed whatever seal was left in the hardtop front panels where it meets the rear section.

In the pic you can see where it was all worn down in the corner.

Than I cut my piece of sealant and used a hair dryer on it to warm up glue. Than applied it. After applying it I used the hair dryer to warm it up and pressed it for a more secure bond.

I also folded up some cardboard and placed it under the clamps where the front secures to the rear due to the puffy sealant. After a few weeks it should be molded and I should be able to remove cardboard. If it doesn't mold it's a cheap way to stop the top from leaking lol.

I ran my hose over the top for about 15 minutes in various places and it seems to be water tight like a frogs you know what.

If I encounter problems I'll post again. Thanks for reading and hope this helps someone.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum
image-2295569407.jpg   image-1844187957.jpg   image-2648280310.jpg   image-1845535251.jpg   image-505650030.jpg  

image-3070636931.jpg   image-3113242384.jpg   image-381340384.jpg   image-3369846567.jpg   image-3630308293.jpg  

image-4151705916.jpg   image-356349942.jpg  
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:14 PM   #11
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

MUCH better solution than the expanding stuff (which would have made one heck of a mess I would bet).

You're one of them "hold my beer..." kind of dudes ain't ya?
Unread 09-18-2012, 12:56 PM   #12
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwmbishop
MUCH better solution than the expanding stuff (which would have made one heck of a mess I would bet).

You're one of them "hold my beer..." kind of dudes ain't ya?
Lmao! How can you tell? As I get older the motivation to fix stuff myself grows. Maybe it's because I'm cheap. Maybe its because I hate giving stealerships my money to fix stuff lol.

Also, i like the pride factor in doing something myself and seeing positive results. I'm also going to post whatever I can to help someone out. So if I can fix it at least someone else can take a stab at it as well and benefit from the cost savings.

Unread 09-18-2012, 02:02 PM   #13
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

Looking at pic 5, doesnt look like the top is seated correctly. there should not be the jump in height. looking at your other pics, with the paper wedges... my "arm" is the same height as the fat part of the arm. there is no gap.

so, fit it right and look at picking up some arms from a 11-12 and it wont be a ghetto fix. good job on the cheap mod though, im all about cheap. just not into ghetto.

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-18-2012, 02:06 PM   #14
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apostle
Looking at pic 5, doesnt look like the top is seated correctly. there should not be the jump in height. looking at your other pics, with the paper wedges... my "arm" is the same height as the fat part of the arm. there is no gap.

so, fit it right and look at picking up some arms from a 11-12 and it wont be a ghetto fix. good job on the cheap mod though, im all about cheap. just not into ghetto.
Pic 5 was before the install. I don't know why but my top doesn't sit right. Even at the windshield it doesn't sit right. It's not flush with the passenger panel. I have played with it and can't get it to line up.

As for the cardboard input it there to help the new foam to mold to the seals. Not a permanent fix. To make it less "ghetto" I could fold up a $100 bill if you'd like lol.

Unread 09-18-2012, 02:15 PM   #15
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

nah, just send the 100 to me and ill forget i looked in this thread!

i take it the jeep is used? im guessing the main reason it leaks is because its not seated right. you should try to find someone else with a hard top and try theirs. might be the top, may be the frame is twisted

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.