Hard Top Insulation - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Top Insulation

THE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaSavvy Billet LED Tail LightsCurrie

Unread 07-31-2008, 08:00 PM   #1
prezflyr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Hard Top Insulation

Has anyone found an insulation for the hard top JK's? These 95 degree Louisiana days are getting rough. It takes a while for the a/c to cool the inside down.

prezflyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:07 PM   #2
strategydude
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have both the soft and hard tops. I really don't think there's much if any insulation in the hardtop. I think it's just two layers of injected molding stuck together. In the full sun, the hardtop gets waaay hotter ... you can feel the heat radiating like crazy from the inside. I find the soft top makes it *significantly* easier to keep the car cool. My advice: if you're having that much trouble getting your JK to cool off, get the soft top. I live here in Utah where the temps are ~100 degrees and the soft top is totally the way to go.
strategydude is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-31-2008, 09:08 PM   #3
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

I found a product called DynaSpray, which is made by dynamat, but I have not been home long enough to see about getting it done.

http://www.dynamat.com/products_auto...dynaspray.html
Unread 08-01-2008, 03:23 AM   #4
dsy
2007 JK Wrangler 

The heat factor is why I painted my hard top silver. I like the black but it sucks in the sun. The inside of the jeep stays about 30 to 40 deg cooler than it did when the top was black.
Flame red unlimited Rubicon 5 speed 5-45RFE Auto , 35" KM2's, RCV front axles, 3 1/2" AEV premium lift, AEV snorkel, LoD front bumper with Warn powerplant,Full River Raider Alum skids, Marchal E-Code Lamps, 45qt Engel refrigerator / freezer, 09 Mygig w/ipod interface, Katzkin leather, ya its got a Hemi :-)http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/little-upgrade-607325/
dsy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 08:13 AM   #5
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

here you go: http://offroadheros.com/liner.html I have no personal experience with it.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-01-2008, 06:12 PM   #6
prezflyr
2008 JK Wrangler 

Cheesey web site with no pictures.
prezflyr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 07:35 AM   #7
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by prezflyr View Post
Cheesey web site with no pictures.
uhh... there are pictures. But they show in a flash app. So you either don't have flash installed, or you need to update it.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:11 AM   #8
sightor
2007 JK Wrangler 

For the front area, I cemented firewall insulation and covered it with the silver sunshield(all cut to fit). In the rear, I purchased 1/2 in wallboard insulation and cemented it to the top. Really keeps the temps down and lets the ac do it's job.
sightor is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 08:37 AM   #9
redmuddog

Does anyone have any feedback on Offroad Heros liner? What is the composition and how is it applied? Does ir really keep the heat out?
redmuddog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-02-2008, 02:18 PM   #10
clayfool

Insulation

Quote:
Originally Posted by redmuddog View Post
Does anyone have any feedback on Offroad Heros liner? What is the composition and how is it applied? Does ir really keep the heat out?

Bump-------
clayfool is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2008, 03:56 PM   #11
DBA2GO
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sightor View Post
For the front area, I cemented firewall insulation and covered it with the silver sunshield(all cut to fit). In the rear, I purchased 1/2 in wallboard insulation and cemented it to the top. Really keeps the temps down and lets the ac do it's job.
Any Pics?
DBA2GO is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-10-2008, 10:36 PM   #12
Menstuff
2012 JK Wrangler 

Just got mine today and will be installing it in the next couple of days. It's thinner than I thought it would be. It velcroes onto the top. They give you the requisite alcohol pads for cleaning and ask that you wait 72 hrs before installing. It's a black nylon thinsulate sandwich, much like a thin ski jacket or vest.
Menstuff is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 04:43 AM   #13
Crazy888888s

Zero insulation. Tint the windows.
Crazy888888s is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 07:17 AM   #14
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

When the hard top is on is when the extra heat is welcome in the jeep.

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-11-2008, 08:04 AM   #15
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

This was actually brought up at the last Q & A Jeep Engineers session and it sounds like mopar will be making a kit. I'm holding off on doing anything until I see this kit, as the mopar solution will probably be pretty good.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.