Hard or Soft Top? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard or Soft Top?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineHalloween Savings to die for!We have Engo 10k Synthetic IN STOCK!!! Hurry while supplie

Unread 08-05-2009, 07:59 AM   #1
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

Hard or Soft Top?

Ok so I am in a Bind Here I Put a Down payment for a 2009 Wrangler Sahara for both Soft and Hard top.. The jeep Dealership can't get me this vechile but they will order me an 2010 the same price for an 2009 my question is should I just get a 2009 Hard top or is it worth getting both tops?.. I do like how the new Hard tops you can remove half the roof, so it basically a giant convertible So what are your thoughts Hard or Soft?

Mopar= Sills,Slush Mats, Splash Guards
Rugged Ridge Rear Grab handles
IPF 920H4 headlights
bbhockey19 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:11 AM   #2
BlackhawkJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

I LOVE my freedom top. The fact that I can take off the panels individually is great! I have even managed to get the back peice off by myself. However there are times after a long drive from the beach I wish I had the soft top. Not fun putting the top back on after your really tired. If you can afford it get both tops. The freedom top for winter/rainyseason and soft top for summer/fall.
BlackhawkJK is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:12 AM   #3
WaldenL
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just got mine last week, but got both the hard and soft tops. I would think you want both tops! It's too cold up here in the winter to not have the hard top. And too nice in the summer to not have the soft top. However.... the other option is to get it now w/just the hard top and order a soft top aftermarket. For example: http://www.quadratec.com/products/pr...ops&c=105&pg=1
WaldenL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:16 AM   #4
md41969
2008 JK Wrangler 

Get both if you can, hard top in the fall and winter, soft top in the spring and summer. That is as long as you have a place to store them when you are using the other.
1995 Wrangler

White Jeep Club Member #81

Quote:
Originally Posted by FourbyFour View Post
"....you know what hurts the most, it's the lack of respect, that hurts the most.....and, and the the other thing hurts too, BUT not as much as the lack of respect..disgusting.."
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rob99 View Post
Your dog's head doesn't look like it belongs on his body. Is it an aftermarket head?
md41969 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:20 AM   #5
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

I do Have a place to store them in the winter, I do like the freedom top, but a summer like we are having in NY makes me not want a soft top. Also i can get an 09 hardtop now but will have to wait for a 2010 with bothtops
IPF 920H4 headlights
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:21 AM   #6
BlackhawkJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

If your only picking one get the hard top. Buy aftermarket soft top. I am just gonna get a bikini top for summer.
Unread 08-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #7
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

Yea i i do like the freedom top alot..basically makes half the car a sunroof
IPF 920H4 headlights
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:17 AM   #8
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

is it worth to get an 09 hard top then buy the soft top later through jeep for 1100
IPF 920H4 headlights
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:25 AM   #9
BlackhawkJK
2009 JK Wrangler 

the freedom top is more if you don't get it through factory. I payed 610 dollars for my hard top. I belieave its close to 2k after factory. I would get the hard top. Buy a soft top later....you don't even have to get a soft top..you can get like a bikni top. Check out quadratec.
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:37 AM   #10
zombieCat
2011 JK Wrangler 

Having owned 2 Wranglers, one with only a hard top and one with only a soft top, I would definitely get both. But personally, if I HAD to choose between only one of them, I would get the soft top. The soft top makes unexpected weather a non-issue. Or expected weather for that matter--even if you knew a storm was on the way, you don't want to put the hard top back on/take it back off. Of course, if you don't care one bit about the inside of your Jeep getting drenched (which some people don't), then this isn't an issue. But as others have said, if you're planning on buying one later on, get the hard top, since soft tops are cheaper to buy afterward.

Last edited by zombieCat; 08-05-2009 at 11:48 AM..
zombieCat is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 09:39 AM   #11
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

all of your points are valid, I feel that I am not going to be using the soft top as much only for the summer time here in New york and Dont know if it is worth it
IPF 920H4 headlights
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:13 AM   #12
Seanbmc
2009 JK Wrangler 

I had a soft top on my 07 and really enjoyed it. My 09 has a hard top and I think I prefer it more. I havnt been through the winter yet with it, but with the wind we get it already a quieter drive.

I miss dropping the top though, so I found a used top on craigslist. I will do the summer/spring soft as soon as I can find a place to store the hard top (next spring hopefully).

I would recommend getting both from the get go if you can. If you just cant wait for the 2010 I would say get the 09 and look at either an aftermarket soft top or a take-off from another jeep on craigslist or ebay.

Good luck!
Mastercraft Grab Handles, Mopar Slush Mats, Hitch.
Seanbmc is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:15 AM   #13
tricked919
2007 JK Wrangler 

who wouldn't want the dual tops, but if you had to pick... hard top, hands down. The freedom tops make it a huge advantage. Its super quiet. If you want sun, the FT panels offer gobs of it, and because its in 3 pieces instead of one (like the old tops), removing the entire top is an easy one-man job. I take off my hard top on my JK more often than I lowered the soft top on either of my TJ's. Also, with the hard top removed, compared to the soft top lowered, you have MUCH more useable room for cargo. I can easily get 2 bikes in the back of my 2-door with the back seat out and the hard top off. Would not be possible with the soft top lowered - or it would be a huge PITA!!

HARD TOP!!!
tricked919 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:39 AM   #14
Jordon83
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbhockey19 View Post
Yea i i do like the freedom top alot..basically makes half the car a sunroof
Soft top is similar, you just fold the top back. Same effect just no panels to store. I'd go with hard top if you have to get only one, but get both if possible. For how often I put the top up and down for weather I would hate just having the hard top.
Jordon83 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-05-2009, 10:47 AM   #15
bbhockey19
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricked919 View Post
who wouldn't want the dual tops, but if you had to pick... hard top, hands down. The freedom tops make it a huge advantage. Its super quiet. If you want sun, the FT panels offer gobs of it, and because its in 3 pieces instead of one (like the old tops), removing the entire top is an easy one-man job. I take off my hard top on my JK more often than I lowered the soft top on either of my TJ's. Also, with the hard top removed, compared to the soft top lowered, you have MUCH more useable room for cargo. I can easily get 2 bikes in the back of my 2-door with the back seat out and the hard top off. Would not be possible with the soft top lowered - or it would be a huge PITA!!

HARD TOP!!!

I absolutely here you on the hard top except i live in newyork where it can rain or snow at a drop of a dime, so taking the whole top off and driving on the highway when it rains puts me in a tough situation
IPF 920H4 headlights

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.