Hard Idle/Vibration at Stops - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hard Idle/Vibration at Stops

GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 04-21-2013, 05:45 PM   #1
TornadoBob

Hard Idle/Vibration at Stops

Hi everyone, first time poster seeking opinions.

I have 2012 Wrangler Sport with 9000 miles. After it gets warm, when stopped at a light in drive it seems to idle very hard and send a vibration through the steering wheel and center console. Not so much that you can visibly see it shake, but you can really feel it.

I've had it in for service (along with a drivers side tick, but that's another topic) and the dealer insists that since their no CEG on that it's normal. I had TJ a few years back but don't recall this phenomenon.

So my question is, how much idle vibration through the steering wheel or elsewhere is considered "normal"?

Any help or info is greatly appreciated. Thanks.

TornadoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:05 PM   #2
222Doc
2012 JK Wrangler 

could be the bad head. But until it tosses a cel of miss fire. they may not want to dig that deep. Not that this is going to help you. There was post a post where a guy logged the data on fuel and its effect. 87/89/91 The motor is pulling timing on 87. I know ours on 87 can even get into knock. 89 shows a gain of MPG better timing. 91 no gain.

I know i will get flamed on this. I have used it before and even tested it to failur once. In a 20R yota. Ran it with no water until it melted down on a freeway made it 60 miles no water two miles from home . melted at the valve seats and every part that could melt did, all most caught fire. But the block still looked fine the piston walls were fine! we went to a Junk yard and replaced the head and all the wires plastic parts... It ran like a clock for many years after..... Slick 50.

Our 012 runs well and though it has a slight tick its not as bad as others I have heard. it has about 17K on the clock. a slight vib at idle but not much. Just put slick 50 and the thing sounds100% better. i am not amazed as I have used this stuff 30 years. even at cold start it has no sound of needing to pump up.

let the flaming start...
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:11 PM   #3
GPV
2008 JK Wrangler 

Is it a standard transmission. If it is put the transmission in neutral and see if the vibration stops when the clutch is let out.

Good luck!

2008 Jeep JK Rubicon Unlimited (Bought for Wife)
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax (Work Horse)
1982 Honda CB 900F Supersport
2001 Honda RC51
GPV is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 07:34 PM   #4
TornadoBob

Hey guys, thanks for the replies.

I should have mentioned it's an automatic. The vibrations are mostly felt stopped in drive. In park/neutral it's a bit less. I've been filling up with Mobil/Shell 87.

I just had my second oil change about two weeks ago.
TornadoBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-21-2013, 08:12 PM   #5
JTPhoto
Web Wheeler

2008 JK Wrangler 

http://www.skepdic.com/slick50.html
2008 Black and Khaki Sahara Unlimited. Auto, Tow pkg, Dual Tops, MyGig, Trax-Lok rear diff. 3.5" Rock Krawler fr springs, rear TeraFlex 2.5 BB, 35x12.50x17 Pitbull Rockers on Blackrock Viper Alloys, Flex-o-lite trans cooler, Mr Grille billet grille inserts, AEV Prem Bumper ETC.. AND a Locked and Lifted Honda Foreman for when the trails get real tight
JTPhoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:12 AM   #6
JeepCares

From the 2012 JK Owner Manual:
"Materials Added To Fuel
All gasoline sold in the United States is required to
contain effective detergent additives. Use of additional
detergents or other additives are not needed under
normal conditions and would result in additional cost.
Therefore you should not have to add anything to the
fuel."
JeepCares is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.