Handling Question - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Handling Question

Labor Day Sale!FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 02-27-2008, 02:56 PM   #1
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Handling Question

I am having some interesting undirected handling issues with my JK and I was wondering if its normal given the setup. I have a 07 Wrangler Sahara, manual transmission with 3.21 gears (which I hate) with 31 in tires and a 2 in lift that the dealer put on my Wrangler prior to it hitting the showroom floor. I forget how wide the tires are, but wider than the stock. I have times when there are troughs in the road, made by heavy vehicles or its just uneven pavement that causes my Jeep to just lunge to either side (mostly to the left) without any warning. I donít recall this activity with my 98 TJ or my 2500 Dodge. I was just wondering if itís a effect of the wider tires or the lift. These are probably the widest tires Iíve had on a vehicle, but they arenít that wide, coming out to probably the edge of the fender flair or just a bit moreÖ. but Iíve never been thrown around a lane like this either. Iíve done a lot of driving, just not with this wide a tire and the other day when it happened out of the blue, it got me wondering and I thought ďAsk the forumĒ.

Thanks in advance

tcass is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2008, 09:01 PM   #2
Prot
Web Wheeler

2014 JK Wrangler 

If it just moves over like it wants to follow grooves or something in the pavement, it's the tires. If it shakes violently side to side (death wobble) then it's the steering/suspension/lift. What kind of tires are they? Specifically the brand and kind as well as the actual size (numbers on the side). The more information about the tires you can provide, the easier it will be to determine if its the tire that is just a crappy choice or what.
Unread 02-29-2008, 07:06 AM   #3
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks Prot...the tires are Nitto Terra Grabber IT305/70R16/124/121Q 10PR and as mentioned in the earlier post they were chosen by the dealer and on in the showroom. I don't konw if I would call it violent, but it sometimes takes a different direction with purpose, to the point of almost moving sharply into the other lane. Thankfully thats mostly at and just before stop lights at a slower speed. I'll have the dealer check it out next time I take it in for service, which should be a couple of weeks. I'll probly also ask him to quote me a price to switch out the gears to at least 4.10's and pull out the 3.21's while I'm there. That loss of out of the box low end power and shifting for every little hill are the only things I don't like about it. I konw you are real satisfied with your change, but mine is a manual and I'm not sure how those would do in my Sahara.

Thanks for the come back.

Last edited by tcass; 02-29-2008 at 07:43 AM..
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:13 AM   #4
ctown67
2007 JK Wrangler 

most lifts create some kind of pull, if you ask the dealer to do and alignment and rebalance the wheels next time you are in, it might help. It also seems to me that the lifts the dealers are putting on aren't all the way there. what i mean is that you can beef up the stabilizer and nearly all of the parts in the front end. it's not reqired so the dealer doesn't do it. my dealer (no not drug) put on a lift and shortly after I noticed the sway bar connects were left stock, that pulled my sway bar at a crazy angle. i added diconnects that put the sway back up parallell and that stiffened up the front end. good luck

ctown67
ctown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2008, 09:26 AM   #5
dstephns
2008 JK Wrangler 

I agree with Prot. When I test drove a 2dr Rubi I noticed this. I'd be driving along and all of sudden it would wander left or right. Not very much either, just enough to notice the change. It really wasn't bad at all. Since the tires were the stock BFG's I just figured it was a combination of road and the tire. I am going to buy someones stock wheels and tires off of an X or Sahara and swap back and forth for city and off road driving. I know it sounds like a pain to do but I look at it as having the right tool for job at hand.
dstephns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-01-2008, 05:18 AM   #6
tcass
2012 JK Wrangler 

Thanks guys...appreciate the feedback

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.