Hacking the CAN-Interior Bus - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Hacking the CAN-Interior Bus

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsJK Front Lower Adjustable Control Arms!

Unread 01-09-2014, 10:20 PM   #31
sanctified
2013 JK Wrangler 

I have been following this since your first post here and on other Jeep boards. I've also looked at your blog. I think this is really interesting and wonder if I have figured out what you are going to try to do with this. Are you hoping to integrate aftermarket accessories using Can-Bus rather than running separate power and switches? Is the goal to run accessories controlled with the computer or is this just exploratory? I'm trying to figure out what you're hoping to do with all this data you are amassing.

Utah Jeep Crew #178
sanctified is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-10-2014, 09:03 AM   #32
dcgibbons
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanctified View Post
I have been following this since your first post here and on other Jeep boards. I've also looked at your blog. I think this is really interesting and wonder if I have figured out what you are going to try to do with this. Are you hoping to integrate aftermarket accessories using Can-Bus rather than running separate power and switches? Is the goal to run accessories controlled with the computer or is this just exploratory? I'm trying to figure out what you're hoping to do with all this data you are amassing.
Lots of possibilities.

This started with a desire to make a smarter switcher for an existing aftermarket switching system that I have in my vehicle, and after experimenting I realized it would be easier to make my own, so that's my first project (the proof of concept from the other post).
dcgibbons is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-03-2014, 03:02 PM   #33
dcgibbons
2012 JK Wrangler 

I know most people won't like this, but I can't wait to get my hands on these systems for some fun hacking:

http://money.cnn.com/2014/02/03/auto...communication/
Unread 02-03-2014, 08:30 PM   #34
dcgibbons
2012 JK Wrangler 

Oh, yeah, some new data from today:

20e 00 80 47 20 FF FF 0C ..G ... # Cruise Control ON

20e 00 00 47 20 FF FF 0C ..G ... # Cruise Control OFF

Bit 7 on the 2nd byte is if the cruise control system is on (just on, not activated) or not. The cab-compartment-node controls this, and while you can send that message and have both the PCM and dash go into the right mode, it'll reset as the CCN sends it actual state every 500ms.
Unread 02-24-2014, 05:02 PM   #35
dcgibbons
2012 JK Wrangler 

So... by any chance does anyone have any experience with optocouplers versus full solid-state-relays versus just MOSFET's? Playing around with a few different design approaches.

Right now I'm thinking a main PCB in the cab that has the micro-controller, an array of optocouplers, and then the outputs of those driving another PCB in the engine bay with regular automotive relays.

But, I am tempted to explore just straight SSR's in the engine bay instead. They're more expensive but frankly that's a pretty small part of the cost of the whole system.

I have some concern about RF in either case, especially given that's not my area of expertise at all.
Unread 03-05-2014, 08:20 PM   #36
dcgibbons
2012 JK Wrangler 

I ordered an '14 today so when it gets here I'll repeat my data gathering experiments and see what's changed. It has a few different options, too, plus the new EVIC software, so I'm excited to see what we can learn from it.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.