H D Battery - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > H D Battery

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 12-18-2013, 02:56 PM   #16
Shotgun76
2010 JK Wrangler 

What model/ CCA die hard is everybody using? Is the actual replacement for a JK or beefier that just physically fits in the tray?

Shotgun76 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-19-2013, 10:04 AM   #17
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Just to throw another choice in the mix, Exide makes a rather nice battery. IIRC one of the main engineers for Optima went to work for Exide back in the day. I have run an Exide Orbital, Optima Yellow top, Diehard platinum, and am currently running a Duralast Platinum in the Xterra. All are decent batteries. What is dumb about the yellow top is you cant use the side posts for winch cables, they have to be connected directly to the top posts. The Exide allows you to run winch cables from any of the posts... I think the die hard does as well (dont quote me on that). The duralast battery I have doesnt have side posts, but my guess is its comperable to the Optima brand.
Psycho-X-Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 08:21 AM   #18
PaXJ
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psycho-X-Jeep View Post
Just to throw another choice in the mix, Exide makes a rather nice battery. IIRC one of the main engineers for Optima went to work for Exide back in the day. I have run an Exide Orbital, Optima Yellow top, Diehard platinum, and am currently running a Duralast Platinum in the Xterra. All are decent batteries. What is dumb about the yellow top is you cant use the side posts for winch cables, they have to be connected directly to the top posts. The Exide allows you to run winch cables from any of the posts... I think the die hard does as well (dont quote me on that). The duralast battery I have doesnt have side posts, but my guess is its comperable to the Optima brand.
I agree, the Exide is a good battery, As for the engineer you speak of working for Optima, well Optima is a brand name not a manufacture. The manufacture of the Optima battery line is Johnson Controls battery division. in addition to the Optima, Johnson Controls, like other large company's manufacture other battery lines as well.
Exide Corp. is the manufacture of the Exide AGM battery, if you look at the specs on both the Exide and DieHard Platinum Group 34 batteries you will see 60 Ah as compared to 68Ah for the DH Platinum. 770 CCA as compared to 880 CCA for the DH Platinum, and a reserve of 120 for the Exide as compared to 135 for the DieHard Platinum. The Exide is listed at around $180.00 as compared to about $190.00-$200 for the DieHard Platinum.
PaXJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #19
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaXJ View Post
I agree, the Exide is a good battery, As for the engineer you speak of working for Optima, well Optima is a brand name not a manufacture. The manufacture of the Optima battery line is Johnson Controls battery division. in addition to the Optima, Johnson Controls, like other large company's manufacture other battery lines as well.
Exide Corp. is the manufacture of the Exide AGM battery, if you look at the specs on both the Exide and DieHard Platinum Group 34 batteries you will see 60 Ah as compared to 68Ah for the DH Platinum. 770 CCA as compared to 880 CCA for the DH Platinum, and a reserve of 120 for the Exide as compared to 135 for the DieHard Platinum. The Exide is listed at around $180.00 as compared to about $190.00-$200 for the DieHard Platinum.
Thanks for the clarification I was just throwing another option out there as well as warning people not in "the know" that they shouldn't hook a winch up to their Optimas side posts. But just to clarify, the Exide's group 34 battery has 880 CCAs and 133 RC.

http://www.exide.com/Media/files/Dow...%20TS%20Lr.pdf
Unread 12-20-2013, 10:05 PM   #20
gwar11d2
2009 JK Wrangler 

I've been looking to upgrade my battery as well for the old stocker is showing signs of not performing the way it used to. My Multimeter says it is 'ok' and alternator is still showing good, but I wondered if anyone has looked at Costco /Kirkland batteries. Group 34, 795 CCA's and 105 reserve... Obviously both Exide and Diehard boast stronger numbers, but for 84 bucks and a decent replacement warranty I'm wondering if they are any good.
09 JK Jeep Green Sahara Unlimited / Teraflex 2.5" Spring-Shocks / 35's x 16" Level 8 Trackers/ Aussie Locker Front / 5:13's
My Build Thread:
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/w...hread-1231661/
gwar11d2 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-20-2013, 11:21 PM   #21
Psycho-X-Jeep
2009 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwar11d2 View Post
I've been looking to upgrade my battery as well for the old stocker is showing signs of not performing the way it used to. My Multimeter says it is 'ok' and alternator is still showing good, but I wondered if anyone has looked at Costco /Kirkland batteries. Group 34, 795 CCA's and 105 reserve... Obviously both Exide and Diehard boast stronger numbers, but for 84 bucks and a decent replacement warranty I'm wondering if they are any good.
Are Costco's batteries sealed (AGM type)? Every time I go by there all I see are the standard type of batteries.
Unread 12-21-2013, 08:14 AM   #22
ridesno4llfe
2013 JK Wrangler 

Costco mostly sells lead acid batteries with some places selling optimas. I crammed an interstate mtp-65 in my jeep. Run them in pairs in my diesel tow trucks and they hold up well giving how many lights and the abuse they're put though. Running all the wrecker lights then shutting everything off sends the whole 200 amps from the alternator straight back to the batteries and boils them. Murder on a charging system.
Unread 01-11-2014, 02:34 PM   #23
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

What DieHard battery are you guys running? I was looking for the DieHard P-5 Group 35 battery read a thread over on JK-Forum and a friend of mine put that in his JK but I can not seem to find it on the market anymore. Looking at a Genesis Offroad dual battery set up so I might try the Diehard 31M any objections?

Front & Rear winch
On Board air compressor which really sucks some juice
off road lights
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 06:11 PM   #24
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Diehard are the same as ODYSSEY batteries (not to be confused with Optima). Odyssey are the best on the market, argueably.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 07:58 PM   #25
05x

Ive run yellow and red tops since 2002 in lots of rigs never had any issues at all and currently have one sitting in my Rubi and the the wifes truck. I know theres other good batteries out there but this is just my experience.
05x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-11-2014, 08:27 PM   #26
COStrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05x
ive run yellow and red tops since 2002 in lots of rigs never had any issues at all and currently have one sitting in my rubi and the the wifes truck. I know theres other good batteries out there but this is just my experience.
x2
COStrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-12-2014, 12:29 AM   #27
SubAtomicGenius
Sarcastic Fantastic

2011 JK Wrangler 

Optima batteries blow goats.
SubAtomicGenius is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 11:16 AM   #28
COStrider

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubAtomicGenius
Optima batteries blow goats.
Never had one fail me... But I will try the Odessey American made one next replacement. Wished I would have known about it before
COStrider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-19-2014, 05:59 PM   #29
duneslider
2007 JK Wrangler 

My optima seems to be doing fine but its only going on 4 years. I have a diehard in my commander.

I heard rumors sears is dropping the platinum and the have a new agm made by deka? Warranty not as good but I hear the deka battery is pretty decent.
duneslider is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 01-20-2014, 03:39 PM   #30
HAFICON

2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by duneslider View Post
My optima seems to be doing fine but its only going on 4 years. I have a diehard in my commander.

I heard rumors sears is dropping the platinum and the have a new agm made by dexa? Warranty not as good but I hear the decades battery is pretty decent.
That may be why I have not been able to find the battery from Sears.. Sucks because that battery has a really good rep.
4.88's and TNT truss.
My build thus far.
http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/b...tures-1509366/
HAFICON is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.