Greetings, test drove today, first impressions. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Greetings, test drove today, first impressions.

Rampage Bowless Soft Top Oconee offroadAlloy USA Still AvailableAdvance Adapters SYE Kits

Unread 12-02-2006, 06:06 PM   #16
cliffmelanie1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

I do alot of highway driving and I get from 21.4 to 25.1 mpg according to the computer in the jeep. I drive easy. I set the cruise on 64 when I'm on the highway. I shift early and often. If I get a chance I'll take a picture of it for the non believers. I have the 6 speed and the 3:21's. I have no problems around town or the highway. Coming from a 4 banger in my Tj to this was like night and day. The thing has plenty of power for what I use it for. Enjoy.

Unread 12-03-2006, 08:37 AM   #17
Donkeykong

Quote:
Originally Posted by cliffmelanie1
I do alot of highway driving and I get from 21.4 to 25.1 mpg according to the computer in the jeep. I drive easy. I set the cruise on 64 when I'm on the highway. I shift early and often.
That's what I've been hoping to hear.
-Mark
Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2006, 10:36 AM   #18
cliffmelanie1
2005 TJ Wrangler 

The only thing I don't like about the Jk is getting into the back seat. I have the 2 door and it is very hard to get into the back. If there was a way to disconnect the seat belt to make it easier it would be better.
Unread 12-03-2006, 04:57 PM   #19
momomike3

You might as well get the 4.10 gears, because you will want to upgrade it very soon. Since the JK's can go up in tire size with really small lifts, I anticipate seeing a LOT of them on 35's. With the larger tires you want the lower (higher numerically) ratio.
momomike3 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-03-2006, 06:24 PM   #20
Donkeykong

Quote:
Originally Posted by momomike3
You might as well get the 4.10 gears, because you will want to upgrade it very soon. Since the JK's can go up in tire size with really small lifts, I anticipate seeing a LOT of them on 35's. With the larger tires you want the lower (higher numerically) ratio.

Alright, I understand that the axle ratio has something to do about things, but what does it mean?
Is it the OD of the tire related to the length of the axles or what?

I think I am confused.
Unread 12-03-2006, 06:32 PM   #21
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong
Alright, I understand that the axle ratio has something to do about things, but what does it mean?
Is it the OD of the tire related to the length of the axles or what?

I think I am confused.
The axle ratio is the number of rotations of the driveshaft vs the tires.

Read this:
http://auto.howstuffworks.com/gear-ratio.htm

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2006, 07:56 AM   #22
Thunderstrike
Web Wheeler

2009 JK Wrangler 

Welcome to the Forum. I went from 92 Jetta to 99 Audi A4 to 04 Wrangler TJ. Although the previous vehicles were "the driving machine" with excellent road handling I don't think I can ever go back to them -- I just love the Jeep Wrangler. And, I get to wheel it and go where no VW or Audi can go! Also, there's no end to getting toys for the Wrangler. They do require more TLC, but that's the fun of it. Good luck in your future purchase.
Auto, Power, Remote Start, Towing Package, MyGig Navigation with Lockpick, Rear View Camera, B&M 70268 Transmission Cooler, Aeroforce Interceptor, Valentine 1, Tub Sound-Deadened with Raamat and Ensolite, Hard Top Heat Insulated with 1/2" Styrofoam Insulation, Bilstein Shocks Front & Rear, PIAA Dual Horns, IPF 920H4 Headlights.
Protection: Skid Row Engine Skid, Lower Control Arm skid & Evaporator Skid; Rock Hard Gas Tank Skid; Warn Stainless Steel Differential Skid Front & Rear.
Recovery Gear: Warn 9.5Ti Winch, 11,000# Pull-Pal.
Communication: Uniden 520XL CB, Diesel External Speaker, 3' FireStik Whip.
Shrockworks Mid-width Front Bumper with Warn 9.5Ti Winch -- Ordered 7/17/2009; Bumper Received 12/4/2009.
1" Coil Spacer Front & 1/2" Coil Spacer Rear restored OEM Rake.
4x4 Trips:
Moab - 4/2006, 5/2008, 4/2009, 5/2011, 4/2013
Ouray - 8/2007
Rubicon - 9/2008
Gone, but not forgotten: 2004 TJ, 1999 Audi A4, 1992 VW Jetta GL 5 Speed
Thunderstrike is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2006, 12:19 PM   #23
Diesel0312

My only complaint about everyday driving is there's a lot of blind spots in the vehicle.
Mods: Windshield mounted Hella FF1000 driving lights, Rugged Ridge front grab handles, CLC rear grab handles, Teraflex 2.5" BB, Quadratec boor handle covers, Bestop spare cover, Custom front bumper, 17X9 Pro Comp 1079's, 305/17/R17 Buckshot Mudders.
In the works: Custom rear bumper.
Diesel0312 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-16-2006, 01:04 PM   #24
CombatChuk

I went from a 2003 Dodge Neon to my 2DR Sahara. I think it does fine as a daily driver. I think the engine is pretty strong, and in 4-Lo nothing can stop it. I kinda wished I went with the 4.10 gears (Dealers around only had the ones with 3.21 rear axle).
CombatChuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-17-2006, 09:29 AM   #25
Donkeykong

Well, I sold my golf yesterday (a lot sooner than I expected) and now I have to come up with a bit more to get the payments where I would like them.

As far as the gear ratio to tire size, how does that relate? I understand that a shorter gear (4 something) accelerates better than a longer gear, but do the big tires serve to even it out?

Also, when you upgrade tire size what do you do to keep the speedo accurate? I spend a fair amount of my driving time on the turnpike and am always worried about getting sucked into speeding by following the other cars around me.
-Mark
Unread 12-17-2006, 11:14 AM   #26
neZZr
Lifted/Locked/Rolled/Sunk

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Well, I sold my golf yesterday (a lot sooner than I expected) and now I have to come up with a bit more to get the payments where I would like them.

As far as the gear ratio to tire size, how does that relate? I understand that a shorter gear (4 something) accelerates better than a longer gear, but do the big tires serve to even it out?

Also, when you upgrade tire size what do you do to keep the speedo accurate? I spend a fair amount of my driving time on the turnpike and am always worried about getting sucked into speeding by following the other cars around me.
-Mark
Tire size & gearing go hand in hand. Typically, 4.10 is great with 31s, 4.56 for 33s, 4.88 for 35s. Personal preference, transmission gearing, and engine power can affect those numbers either way, but the examples I gave should be accurate for the V6 the same as they were for the I6.

I'll be Savvy someday!
neZZr is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2006, 11:21 AM   #27
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by paultyler
I test drove it too. I had two problems with it. The first was head room. My head hits the speaker bar above the drivers seat. I am 6'5 but it was a good 2-3 inches low so I can't be the only one with this problem.
Quote:
I'm right around 6'-0" and I thought that I was pushing tight in the head room department as well. I think that I mentioned in my initial post that I felt like the rear view mirror was a bit low... Having owned smaller cars all my life I can definently live with all of the above, I felt like the seating position is very comfortable and I felt safer than I have in other bigger vehciles I have driven. (The Jeep is definently wider, and feels sturdier)
Did you guys resolve your headroom issues?

I'm 6'2" and sat in an X with a hard top at the LA Auto Show, I didn't notice any headroom issues at all?
Kyoseki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2006, 06:07 PM   #28
08 Sahara
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I drove a Sahara and was not unhappy with the seating position or headroom. Do the models you are concerned with have the seat height adjustment (std. on Sahara)? Even with the adjuster in full up position I had about 2 nches to the hardtop. I'm 6'3" and was not unhappy. I didn't have it bouncing on the trails either. Might feel differently after that??
08 Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:26 PM   #29
Kyoseki
Inconceivable!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgood
I drove a Sahara and was not unhappy with the seating position or headroom. Do the models you are concerned with have the seat height adjustment (std. on Sahara)?
According to the website, the adjustable front seat comes with every package with the exception of the absolute base entry X/B model.
Kyoseki is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-18-2006, 08:59 PM   #30
JK_Jeep
2007 JK Wrangler 

Well I had a 98 TJ and made the wife happy and traded it in on a 2003 Liberty. She made a promise that we would buy another Wrangler for me when funds would allow. DAMN I am sneaky

Well I told her 3 years later I think its time for me to get another Wrangler

I started looking at used TJ's and seen a BEAUUUUUUTIFUL 2006 Rubicon on Ebay in Knoxville TN at a BMW dealership. It had 10,000 miles. Only thing it didnt have that I wanted was a hard top. $22,900 .

I was ready to make the 20 hour round trip to pick it up when I decided to look one more time locally.

Didnt see any TJ's that I liked and I seen the JK in magazines and on TV and said that is one ugly *** Jeep!

Well at the dealer I seen a JK up close, I looked, sat and drove and was hooked!

For a few thousand extra I got a BRAND NEW JK and saved a 20 hour round trip to TN and back to IL

By the way, while I was there the wife fell in love with a Compass and a Chrysler Sebring, we left with the Sebring and left the 2003 Liberty behind, she hated the Liberty ( thats another thread)

Look, sit and drive a JK before discounting one, just bring your checkbook
JK_Jeep is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.