Greetings, test drove today, first impressions. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Greetings, test drove today, first impressions.

New Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlNew Product Release: Flowmaster Force II Dual Tailpipe AxlUSA Made JK Rear Axles!!! Revolution Gear and Axle

Unread 11-29-2006, 09:55 PM   #1
Donkeykong

Greetings, test drove today, first impressions.

Hello all.

I wanted to make my first post about why I am here.

My wife and I just had our first son together. (I have a 3 year old daughter, but she lives with her mom most of the time)

I now feel like my VW golf has "grown" too small (if you will excise my pun), and I need something bigger. I have always liked the cherokee (sport) and have always hated SUV's. My exception has always been Land Rovers, and Jeeps because they were always here, and not some trendy fad.

I was delighted to be watching Mythbusters and see a commercial for the 4 door jeep wranglers, and I decided to test drive one.

It had to be Stick.

I am impressed with almost everything about the vehicle. My mother (and my mother in law) have both owned the I-6 jeeps (grand cherokee's) and I didn't have anything bad to say about the engine, but man I am impressed with the V6. It seemed to have more low end torque. (Keep in mind I'm driving a light golf that has full torque at (what is a low RPM) 2K RPM.

The gearbox definently felt mechanical, but I liked it in the jeep.

My only dislikes are the door handles look weird, and the rearview mirror felt like it might be in my line of vision. (again, I'm used to driving a car with a windscreen 2X the size of the jeeps)

My wife loved the jeep. We were both impressed with the rear seat room, and the cargo area. (again, the only reason I even considered one is because it is now available in 4-door)

I didn't get to "test" the 4WD system, but it's one option I will not go without.

I will be looking to buy my jeep sometime in early 2007, hopefully once the prices have gone down, and maybe when an incentive is offered, but for now I will continue to prowl the VWvortex forum, and try to make some friends here along the way.

Jeeps (and the owner groups) seem to have the same friendly DIY appeal that first attracted me to VW's. I am looking forward to getting muddy. The best part is that I have my wifes support on this!
-Mark

Donkeykong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2006, 11:16 PM   #2
exc911ence

Having your wife's support is 11/10th's of the battle!

Welcome!
exc911ence is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 05:01 AM   #3
UTAH

Yep - a warm welcome to the forum, Mark.

I do the same thing - go out and hang around forums specific to vehicles I'm considering buying. Then I know better what I want to get and also how to mod it once I get it.

Keep us posted.

Bill
Unread 11-30-2006, 08:32 AM   #4
Donkeykong

I definently agree about wanting the wife (and her mom) liking it being important. My wife loves my golf, but her mom and brother call my golf the humdinger.

I have always considered myself a car snob, as in I have expectations of vehicles based on the engine size, and other factors. It has to be manual (I tend to let Automatics roll forward into other vehicles, so I use that as my excuse not to drive them). As stated the jeeps are purpose vehicles that also serve a logical purpose. They meet my chreitera with flying colours.

As stated, my Golf is great.... it's 4-door, turbocharged and fun, but now it's time for something with more capacity. I have a roofrack on the golf, but I take it off in the winter and have a hell of a time fitting my bikes in the back seat with the kiddies.

Anyways, I'll be here quite a bit thru the purchase date. I'll definently let everyone know what I paid, and anything else about the buying process. And then it will be on to owning the jeep.
-Mark
Unread 11-30-2006, 09:35 AM   #5
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

I test drove it too. I had two problems with it. The first was head room. My head hits the speaker bar above the drivers seat. I am 6'5 but it was a good 2-3 inches low so I can't be the only one with this problem.

As for the engine, I thought it was woeful. I have a 2.5L YJ which is gutless. One reason I went for the testdrive was because I wanted a larger Jeep with more power. I floored it to get on the freeway, the engine wound up real high and whiney but only accelerated slightly faster than my four banger.

I was really disappointed.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 10:28 AM   #6
Donkeykong

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULTYLER
I test drove it too. I had two problems with it. The first was head room. My head hits the speaker bar above the drivers seat. I am 6'5 but it was a good 2-3 inches low so I can't be the only one with this problem.
I'm right around 6'-0" and I thought that I was pushing tight in the head room department as well. I think that I mentioned in my initial post that I felt like the rear view mirror was a bit low... Having owned smaller cars all my life I can definently live with all of the above, I felt like the seating position is very comfortable and I felt safer than I have in other bigger vehciles I have driven. (The Jeep is definently wider, and feels sturdier)

Quote:
Originally Posted by PAULTYLER
As for the engine, I thought it was woeful. I have a 2.5L YJ which is gutless. One reason I went for the testdrive was because I wanted a larger Jeep with more power. I floored it to get on the freeway, the engine wound up real high and whiney but only accelerated slightly faster than my four banger.
I was really disappointed.
What do you think about the lower RPM performance for city driving? Is it different than your 2.5?

Do you know if the jeep you test drove had the 4.0:1 gear ratio or the 3.(something)?
I ask because the brocure says something about the 4:1 ratio being better for jeep stuff, and the 3:1 for highway driving.

I do have to admit that I didn't take the jeep out on the freeway, but I was going up a steep hill that is 55mph and I felt no problems in 4th gear pulling up the hill.

Most of my driving is in the 55-65mph range and I have seriously tried not to speed, so having a vehicle that has more low end that I'm used to will probably be good for me and my points (I think I'm down to 4 points left on my license.... feburary I drop off another 2). I am glad that I have grown out of that idiotic phase of life. Being a Father is deifnently something that grounds you.
-Mark
Unread 11-30-2006, 11:57 AM   #7
paultyler
Uncle Paul has spoken...

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkeykong
I'm right around 6'-0" and I thought that I was pushing tight in the head room department as well. I think that I mentioned in my initial post that I felt like the rear view mirror was a bit low... Having owned smaller cars all my life I can definently live with all of the above, I felt like the seating position is very comfortable and I felt safer than I have in other bigger vehciles I have driven. (The Jeep is definently wider, and feels sturdier)

What do you think about the lower RPM performance for city driving? Is it different than your 2.5?

Do you know if the jeep you test drove had the 4.0:1 gear ratio or the 3.(something)?
I ask because the brocure says something about the 4:1 ratio being better for jeep stuff, and the 3:1 for highway driving.

I do have to admit that I didn't take the jeep out on the freeway, but I was going up a steep hill that is 55mph and I felt no problems in 4th gear pulling up the hill.

Most of my driving is in the 55-65mph range and I have seriously tried not to speed, so having a vehicle that has more low end that I'm used to will probably be good for me and my points (I think I'm down to 4 points left on my license.... feburary I drop off another 2). I am glad that I have grown out of that idiotic phase of life. Being a Father is deifnently something that grounds you.
-Mark

I drove the Rubicon model. My 4 banger is fine around town. I have a problem in headwinds, small hills and getting to the trail, and acceleration.

My Jeep in the Snow

92 YJ, 35' MTR Kevlars, Klune/Dana 20, 4.88s, SYE, Rubicon D44s w/Rubicon lockers, front and rear Alloy USA chromoly shafts with 30 spline outers, JK electric swaybar, T&T tube fenders, custom cv driveshafts, RE 4.5 XD springs, M.O.R.E. 5/8'' boomerang shackles + 2' BL, 15lb Powertank, 4.0L TB & TB spacer, ARB Snorkel, K&N filter, rear bumper and tire rack, Rancho 9000s, AtoZ Rockers, Skid-Row Engine skid plate, Teraflex Bellyup, JCR Offroad 1 Ton TieRod, rock lights, RE hand throttle, M.O.R.E. roll cage, corners, 9000lb winch with synthetic cable in-cab winch controller (12voltguy.com), Dual Blue Top Optimas with 12voltguy dual battery controller, a/c (ackits.com)

Quote:
Originally Posted by joshrad View Post
This Uncle Paul guy seems to know what he's talking about.
paultyler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 12:53 PM   #8
NaeKid
JF Administrator, eh?

1988 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
My only dislikes are the door handles look weird, and the rearview mirror felt like it might be in my line of vision. (again, I'm used to driving a car with a windscreen 2X the size of the jeeps)
I hate having a mirror in my field-of-vision looking forward as well. To fix that up, when I hop into a vehicle, I grab the mirror and rotate it as high as possible, then twist the mirror back down so that I can see what is behind me without blocking my forward view.

I use my side-mirrors more than the center one - it helps me with my "planned shoulder checking" .. turn head - see mirror, look over and make my move. I don't care to know where I was - I wanna know where I am going

Take the JK for another spin and try that trick on the mirror before you get it.
  • Silver 2006 TJ Unlimited, zombie ready as the daily-driver
  • a Kawasaki KLR650 DualSport bike

- - - - - - -TEOTWAWKI- - - - - - -

NaeKid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #9
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
...Do you know if the jeep you test drove had the 4.0:1 gear ratio or the 3.(something)?
I ask because the brocure says something about the 4:1 ratio being better for jeep stuff, and the 3:1 for highway driving...Mark
That ratio only comes into play when engaged in 4 lo. You will never be in 4 lo on the highway. Trust me!
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 04:06 PM   #10
benbenben

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatchickens
That ratio only comes into play when engaged in 4 lo. You will never be in 4 lo on the highway. Trust me!

He's talking about axle's. Either the 4.10 ratio which is avaliable with the tow package or the 3.21 thats standard.

Which one did you drive?
benbenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 07:58 PM   #11
ieatchickens
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenben
He's talking about axle's. Either the 4.10 ratio which is avaliable with the tow package or the 3.21 thats standard.

Which one did you drive?
Reread his post.

4:1 and 3:1 is not the same as 4.10 and 3.21

Pretty sure he was talking about gear reduction of the transfer case. More than likely, he was mis informed since he only has 1 post.
98' SE, Chili Pepper Red, grizzly wheels, 126AA/103AA to 129AA/105AA coil swap, 3/4" spacer, 31 Yoko Geolander AT, soft top, rear view mirror turned upside down, door straps twisted, rubicon wipers, optional factory rear sway bar, doors & top on.
Low Output 4 Cylinder Jeep Club Member #1
06' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
99' Grand Cherokee Limited, 4.7 liter V8
ieatchickens is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2006, 09:30 PM   #12
T-man
2007 JK Wrangler 

Mark,

I think you and your wife will love having the new 4 door Wrangler. It seems like the right JK for you. Remember to post pics when you get it.
T-man is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 02:11 PM   #13
Donkeykong

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-man
Mark,

I think you and your wife will love having the new 4 door Wrangler. It seems like the right JK for you. Remember to post pics when you get it.
I'll definently be posting pictures. We're planning on waiting until the beginning of feburary to make the purchase for a couple of reasons:
1) I want to save as much as possible before I make the purchase so I won't have to finance as much (I love not having a car payment on the Golf)
2) My wife might be bonusing from work and has told me that she is so happy that I am interested in a bigger car that she wants to pitch that in towards the purchase.
3) I am hoping that jeep will offer an incentive due to a post holiday sales slow down and I can take advantage of it.
4) I am trying to sell my golf privatley and will definently get more for it that way than trading it in (and should I sell it tomorrow I can always use one of my mother-in-laws cars for a little while)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatchickens
Reread his post.

4:1 and 3:1 is not the same as 4.10 and 3.21

Pretty sure he was talking about gear reduction of the transfer case. More than likely, he was mis informed since he only has 1 post.
I apologise, but I was talking about the axle ratio (which I have no idea what that has to do with the price of eggs) but there was something in the brocure about it having an impact on freeway driving. I was confused and forgot if I saw a decimel or a colon between the numbers, so I guess that I asked the wrong question (used gear ratios) about the right thing (axle ratios)

-Mark
Unread 12-02-2006, 02:24 PM   #14
benbenben

Quote:
I'll definently be posting pictures. We're planning on waiting until the beginning of feburary to make the purchase for a couple of reasons:
1) I want to save as much as possible before I make the purchase so I won't have to finance as much (I love not having a car payment on the Golf)
2) My wife might be bonusing from work and has told me that she is so happy that I am interested in a bigger car that she wants to pitch that in towards the purchase.
3) I am hoping that jeep will offer an incentive due to a post holiday sales slow down and I can take advantage of it.
4) I am trying to sell my golf privatley and will definently get more for it that way than trading it in (and should I sell it tomorrow I can always use one of my mother-in-laws cars for a little while)

I apologise, but I was talking about the axle ratio (which I have no idea what that has to do with the price of eggs) but there was something in the brocure about it having an impact on freeway driving. I was confused and forgot if I saw a decimel or a colon between the numbers, so I guess that I asked the wrong question (used gear ratios) about the right thing (axle ratios)

-Mark

4.10 axle you'll get better acceleration + better in city, 3.21 if you drive a lot of highway and dont plan to upgrade it tires etc
benbenben is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-02-2006, 04:43 PM   #15
Donkeykong

Quote:
Originally Posted by benbenben
4.10 axle you'll get better acceleration + better in city, 3.21 if you drive a lot of highway and dont plan to upgrade it tires etc
How is it determined? Is it the ratio of tire to rotation or what?

Also, does anyone know what to really expect for gas mileage on the highway? Is the EPA estimate accurate or is it a bit higher?
Thanks.
-Mark

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.