Gps - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Gps

Engo LED Flush Mount Lights *PAIR* Flood or Spot 1,600 LumYukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon ZipRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-16-2010, 04:24 PM   #1
JKIslander
2010 JK Wrangler 

Gps

I do not have factory GPS. I have been looking for a good one that I can get that will be accurate on and off road. What models are you guys having success with?

JKIslander is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 04:26 PM   #2
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Garmin Nuvi has been good to me.

Only problem is that the roads around here are changing a lot & often due to new road construction and additions. Garmin charges $69 to download the updated maps. I can get a new Nuvi for $75. What would be the point in paying $69 to update the maps if I can buy a brand new unit for just a few dollars more

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Hers: '08 X Red Rock, soft top, auto. Bunch of mods

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlgraham View Post
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deepskyy View Post
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
N2rock is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:27 PM   #3
JKIslander
2010 JK Wrangler 

HMMMM, I can update my wife's TomTom for free....
Unread 06-16-2010, 05:39 PM   #4
Rafi
2010 JK Wrangler 

i have a Magellan and a tomtom with live traffic. Magellan is about a year old. tomtom blows it out of the water. more user friendly. its accurate, clear, and decent size. and it was cheaper than the megellan. but all gps's have gone down in price recently. it was like $90.
Rafi is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:25 PM   #5
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

TOM TOM, Magellan, Garmin...they're all the same. It comes down to which user interface you like more and how much you want to spend. The more you spend on either the more features you get and the bigger the screen is.

The one thing I LOVE about the MyGig is that it will plot a course by dropping dots where ever you have driven. This is really nice when you're lost in the middle of the woods. If you could find that feature on a hand-held that would be excellent.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 06:35 PM   #6
JKIslander
2010 JK Wrangler 

I am familiar with the use of GPS, hell I've used them in vehicles and on foot. We used handheld Garmins with remote antennas on our gun trucks over seas. I was just wondering if any one has found a vehicle mounted one that works well off-road as well as on road
Unread 06-16-2010, 07:19 PM   #7
JeeperSC
2008 JK Wrangler 

I have a Garmin Nuvi 265wt and a small Tomtom. I like pretty much everything about the Garmin more. Its made better physically. Its smoother from screen to screen entering things in and selecting options. All around Garmin is the better of the two based off my experience with the two I own. However, both get the job done fine. Off road, you would prob. have to get a Garmin made for off road and for the woods.
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:00 PM   #8
Charles
2008 JK Wrangler 

What you need is a GPS with road maps and topo maps. I'm not sure if there is one. However, IDK if you have a windows based smart phone but if you do, back country navigator works pretty well. You download the maps before you go so you don't need a cell signal. I downloaded the entire frontrange west of Denver so all of the maps I need are downloaded.
Charles is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:03 PM   #9
JoeR203
1995 YJ Wrangler 

I believe Garmin now offers free lifetime updates after paying a one time fee.
Unread 06-16-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
JKIslander
2010 JK Wrangler 

looks like the Garmin Nuvi 500 may be it
Unread 06-16-2010, 11:09 PM   #11
mrsig
2007 JK Wrangler 

I love my Jeep Trail Guide Navigation System with Topo. It works in and out of the Jeep!
Closed:

Open:
Member of CCJ, White Jeep Club Member #137.
mrsig is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:22 AM   #12
TheShift
2010 JK Wrangler 

I like that

I use my smart phone
TheShift is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:30 AM   #13
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbloyer81 View Post
The one thing I LOVE about the MyGig is that it will plot a course by dropping dots where ever you have driven. This is really nice when you're lost in the middle of the woods. If you could find that feature on a hand-held that would be excellent.
The Garmin's have a feature where they will keep track your route with a blue line on the map. This works well off-road as you can always re-trace your route back, or you can look at the route and plan a course to intersect the main track. Or you know where the trailhead is and can start heading in that general direction. However you use it, that trace-route is a good feature for off road.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeR203 View Post
I believe Garmin now offers free lifetime updates after paying a one time fee.
Yeah- $125 which is pretty expensive IMHO.

His: '07 Unlimited X, Jeep Green, Hardtop, auto, 5.13, 2.5" RC lift and too many mods to list

Quote:
If you made a snuggy out of a Shamwow, ....would you have to get up off the couch to pee?
Quote:
At this point if Obama tried to move a little to the right, he would trip over Stalin's corpse.
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:32 AM   #14
N2rock
2007 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShift View Post
I like that

I use my smart phone
But does a smart phone need cell service? I'm just asking, I don't know anything about them. I just know the places I go wheeling (West Texas) cell service tends to be horrible or even non-existent.

Quote:
Quote:
Unread 06-17-2010, 07:33 AM   #15
meatlord
Animals taste good

2005 TJ Wrangler 

Garmin E trex vista HCX, hand held, on road and off road, best GPS Ive owned. I even bought a handlebar mount for my Suzuki DR650. It wont dissapoint.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.