Got some LED off road lights. Now what lol. - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Got some LED off road lights. Now what lol.

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 04-24-2013, 04:09 PM   #16
jwmbishop
2011 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
So he sold me a wiring harness made for different lights? That's great. So now ill have to shop around for a new wiring harness? Or should I just go to a shop and have them finalize the wiring?

I don't plan on using any vehicle wires to control on or off. Ill just use the switch provided to avoid any ECU BS.
You can use an overrated harness - but never an underrated harness. Just put in a 10A fuse in place of the 30.

Always use the smallest fuse you can get by with for greatest protection - rule of thumb 25% over calculated draw - round up to next available fuse rate. SO a 7 draw needs a 10A fuse and a 7.2 draw should go to 15A (as there is no 12.5).

Unread 04-24-2013, 04:25 PM   #17
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Oh ok the harness is over kill lol.

I just don't wanna catch fire or have any electrical issues. I'm prob way over reacting lol. Ill put a 10 fuse in. Thanks so much for the advice folks. Sorry for such noob like questions
OF4WD member #7523. Durham 4x4 member.
Wavedatya is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:04 PM   #18
YATZI1980
2011 JK Wrangler 

Exactly. Sorry I left that off. 10 amp fuse is perfect. Your wiring is rated to handle 30 amps so you are golden. You could use that set up to power 6 lights if you wanted to. Ive seen # 10 wire (typically used for 30 amp but uses vary code allows up to 40amps) hold 300 amps and not burn insulation till around 400amps. Those numbers are under test conditions and I would never use that as a guide.
YATZI1980 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:24 AM   #19
GauchoMark
2011 JK Wrangler 

YATZI1980 is right. He caught my typo! I was trying to say that a 30A fuse sounds high.

At any rate, it looks like you got them working, just lower that fuse some so it is actually protecting your wiring and equipment.
GauchoMark is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:46 PM   #20
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

Lights hooked up! Looks really bright. Can't even look at em they're so bright! I guess that's kind if the point though eh? Lol.

I'm super excited and can't wait to see what the puppies can do.

Thanks for all the help guys. As always this, forum rocks!
Unread 04-26-2013, 07:09 AM   #21
Wavedatya
2010 JK Wrangler 

All the lights wired up. What a pain and apparently electrical isn't my thing. They work though lol.

My dad is a certified electrician and obviously I did not get the gene lol. Wired the switch through the cowl ad mounted switch just above the door hook so it's hidden and clean looking.

Again, thanks guys.

image-3714040651.jpg

And as a bonus i cleaned the garage out and able to fit in now. So the wife and I can park out of the elements!!! Handy in the winter .
image-3657440349.jpg   image-3768336555.jpg   image-290058307.jpg  
Unread 04-26-2013, 09:05 AM   #22
sjones26573
Au revoir, gopher.

2004 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wavedatya View Post
All the lights wired up. What a pain and apparently electrical isn't my thing. They work though lol.

My dad is a certified electrician and obviously I did not get the gene lol. Wired the switch through the cowl ad mounted switch just above the door hook so it's hidden and clean looking.

Again, thanks guys.

Attachment 615843

And as a bonus i cleaned the garage out and able to fit in now. So the wife and I can park out of the elements!!! Handy in the winter .
I was never a fan of those integrated push button switches. When I got my stepdad a Hella harness for some lights that came on the Jeep, first thing I did was cut that cheap switch off and wire it to a decent rocker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeremy Clarkson - Top Gear Botswana Special
Why don't all cars have no doors? When I come to power I'm going to make it a rule because this is just better.
sjones26573 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-21-2014, 02:25 PM   #23
rafaelm
1999 TJ Wrangler 

How bright are these lights compared to 100W halogens?
rafaelm is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.