Got my New to Me JK - now what? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Got my New to Me JK - now what?

Baseline 4x4 Lifetime Warranty 4340 Chromoly Axle Shaft KiClayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank Skid

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:27 AM   #1
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

Got my New to Me JK - now what?

Picked up my 08 JKU Sahara this past weekend and I want to make sure I do everything I can to keep it running/looking good so Ian turning to the forum for some advice. It is stock and will stay that way for the foreseeable future.

It is an automatic, I heard they tend to heat up, anything I can do to prevent/ monitor this?

I also hear some burn through oil, how often should I be monitoring this? Every 500 miles or so?

I am going to be doing the softtop puzzle this weekend, watching YouTube it doesn't seem that bad.

Anything else I should be aware of to keep it running well?

Thanks in advance, hopefully I can contribute some in the future.

Unread 07-03-2013, 08:39 AM   #2
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

You can add a trans cooler. Until you know how much if any you burn check it at every fill up. Learn how to take the doors off also.

enjoy!!

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:48 AM   #3
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filthy-Beast View Post
You can add a trans cooler. Until you know how much if any you burn check it at every fill up. Learn how to take the doors off also.

enjoy!!
The doors will be off this weekend, the kids have asked me every half hour when the doors are coming off!

Thanks, any recco for transmission cooler that has been proven to work?
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:12 AM   #4
Filthy-Beast
2006 LJ Wrangler 

Excellent they'll love it.

My 2013 has a factory cooler so I have not done a lot of research, you could start here http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f96/r...ooler-1463618/

For Sale: 2013 4dr JK Painted black Hard Top JKUR 18/59 springs and shocks

97 TJ: daughter 1 - 2.5L, Auto, 2" BB, 31" GY Duratrac
98 TJ: Daugher 2 - 4.0L, 5spd, D44 rear
06 LJ Rubicon: mine - Rokmen full up-armor, 8 adjustable CAs, front bumper, sliders, corners, Shrockworks rear bumper, 3" AEV/BDS lift, Currie HD stearing and Antirock, MT/r - k 35x12.5, SuperWinch, MC Overlines, York OBA
13 JKU Rubicon: Wife's for now, Ace Rock rails & rear bumper tire carrier, Truck Lites, MC Game changer 3.5 lift, RR skids, PSC Brawler front bumper, Warn 9.5cti-s, 35" GY MTRs
Filthy-Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 10:41 AM   #5
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

It would help to know how you plan to use your JK in order to give you the best ideas. For example, the trans is an issue but not in daily driving situations, so if you just plan to use the Jeep on the street and you do not plan to tow anything then a cooler is not really needed. I get that the added protection is worth it no matter what so if you have the coin then get one.

Also, how many miles are on it and does it look like it had been off road previously? A high quality set of ball joints may not be needed now, but they are expensive (especially if you are paying for labor) so keeping an eye on them with the idea that it is a $500 fix is something that you should be aware of as well.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-03-2013, 08:49 PM   #6
HDJEEP33
2008 JK Wrangler 

I don't plan on wheeling it, trailheads, beach, dirt roads to the lake and around town vehicle.

Just installed the softtop, glad I waited for a real humid night to do that!!!! Installed it solo in just under an hour and 2 beers.
Unread 07-08-2013, 11:19 AM   #7
JKBender
2012 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by HDJEEP33 View Post
I don't plan on wheeling it, trailheads, beach, dirt roads to the lake and around town vehicle.

Just installed the softtop, glad I waited for a real humid night to do that!!!! Installed it solo in just under an hour and 2 beers.
For this kind of use, you should not worry too much. Depending on your personal preferences, you may want to spend some coin getting the look that you want but know that as the tires get bigger... so do the issues. Going with no lift and a set of 33" tires will most likely meet your needs and not result in the need to change out things like drive shafts.
JKBender is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.