Got my first Jeep but it leaks - JeepForum.com
 1Likes
  • 1 Post By JeepCares
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 Old 06-15-2017, 08:53 AM Thread Starter
Indyplumber70
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Danville
Posts: 9
Got my first Jeep but it leaks

I purchased my first Jeep last Friday. It is a 2015 Sport S Unlimited. I settled on the Sport S for price reasons but made sure it had the 3.73 axles. I really wanted a Willy's or a Rubi but no one would deal on used ones. So now it is Thursday and we had a lot of rain yesterday. I got in it this morning and water dripped on my left shoulder from above the roll bar. I checked the freedom panel and all of the latches are secure including the sound bar bolt. I'm really bummed.

So my Jeep has 23500 miles and is less than 3 years old. Is the roof leaking still covered by the original warranty?

Indyplumber70 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 10 Old 06-15-2017, 09:01 AM
Wrigley
Registered User
2013 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: fLORIDA
Posts: 383
Sorry you're bummed and your Jeep leaks. I can tell you that I know A LOT of people that own Jeeps and everyone of them, including myself, has had leaks at some point in time. Personally, more hard top owners I know have more leak issues then soft top owners.

I'm pretty sure the original factory warranty carries over even if you are not the original owner. There are more knowledgeable people on this forum that can help you in that regard.

Good luck.

Mike
Wrigley is offline  
post #3 of 10 Old 06-15-2017, 09:02 AM
Naptime
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Posts: 46
I dont know it the JK hardtops bolt down to the roll bar. The JKUs do and the previous owner did not reinstall those torx bolts. When I did mine stopped leaking from there.
Naptime is offline  
 
post #4 of 10 Old 06-15-2017, 10:51 AM
222Doc
Web Wheeler
 
222Doc's Avatar
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Lake Havasu City
Posts: 7,179
Garage
If i recall the two sound bar bolts: if you use them when the rear hard top is on, be very careful to not over tighten those, they can go through the top.

Those bolts i thought were designed for the when you use only the freedom panels with NO rear hard top? When in this set up your freedom panels are basically a bikini top( i ran like that for years). When you run those like this you MUST flip down the plastic feet on the freedom panels so the bolts dont go through the panels and secure them correctly. DO NOT use those flip down feet when running the hard rear and panels.

Home of the Parker Desert Splash

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.


To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
222Doc is offline  
post #5 of 10 Old 06-15-2017, 12:35 PM
AftonJeeper
Registered Offender
 
AftonJeeper's Avatar
1997 TJ Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: Afton
Posts: 415
Garage
Come on, your a plumber. You should be used to fixing leaks. Sorry, couldn't resist.

Naptime could be correct, pull the freedom panels off and see if there are 2 empty holes in need of bolts. Another thing that helps is lubricating the weatherstripping. Use something like Silglyde, just needs to be silicone based.

97 TJ, 4.0 Auto and 3.07's
17 JKUR, 3.6 Auto with 4.10's
AftonJeeper is offline  
post #6 of 10 Old 06-16-2017, 07:51 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyplumber70 View Post
I purchased my first Jeep last Friday. It is a 2015 Sport S Unlimited. I settled on the Sport S for price reasons but made sure it had the 3.73 axles. I really wanted a Willy's or a Rubi but no one would deal on used ones. So now it is Thursday and we had a lot of rain yesterday. I got in it this morning and water dripped on my left shoulder from above the roll bar. I checked the freedom panel and all of the latches are secure including the sound bar bolt. I'm really bummed.

So my Jeep has 23500 miles and is less than 3 years old. Is the roof leaking still covered by the original warranty?
Hi Indyplumber70,

Sorry to hear about this! If you'd like to PM our page with your VIN I'd be happy to look into your warranty coverage further for you.

Andrea
Jeep Social Care Specialist
Indyplumber70 likes this.
JeepCares is online now  
post #7 of 10 Old 06-19-2017, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Indyplumber70
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Danville
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by JeepCares View Post
Hi Indyplumber70,

Sorry to hear about this! If you'd like to PM our page with your VIN I'd be happy to look into your warranty coverage further for you.

Andrea
Jeep Social Care Specialist
Thank you Andrea. I cannot PM you as my post count is too low. So I suppose it will have to wait a bit.

Thanks for the other advice folks!
Indyplumber70 is offline  
post #8 of 10 Old 06-20-2017, 07:21 AM
JeepCares
FCA Customer Care
 
JeepCares's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: MOPAR World Headquarters
Posts: 4,565
Quote:
Originally Posted by Indyplumber70 View Post
Thank you Andrea. I cannot PM you as my post count is too low. So I suppose it will have to wait a bit.

Thanks for the other advice folks!
Hi Indyplumber70,

I just PM'ed you an email address you can contact us at!

Andrea
Jeep Social Care Specialist
JeepCares is online now  
post #9 of 10 Old 06-20-2017, 08:00 AM
Arrcherr
Registered User
2012 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: Jul 2016
Location: Palos Hills
Posts: 13
I had the same issue with mine when I bought it in 2012. After trying most of the above steps, including replacing the seals it still leaked. In the end it turned out that I was really over tightening the sound bar bolts. I pulled em out, snugged em up with very little effort and the leak was gone. A Jeep service writer made that suggestion.
Arrcherr is offline  
post #10 of 10 Old 06-20-2017, 03:56 PM Thread Starter
Indyplumber70
Registered User
2015 JK Wrangler 
 
Join Date: May 2017
Location: Danville
Posts: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrcherr View Post
I had the same issue with mine when I bought it in 2012. After trying most of the above steps, including replacing the seals it still leaked. In the end it turned out that I was really over tightening the sound bar bolts. I pulled em out, snugged em up with very little effort and the leak was gone. A Jeep service writer made that suggestion.
That very well could have been the case as I did get brave and go thru a car wash with no leaking yesterday. But I did forget to mention in my first post that I do have a "whistle" when I reach 35-40 mph. So it was leading me to believe seals. The whistle is annoying and in hind sight I feel stupid for pulling the trigger on the purchase after hearing it on the test drive. I thought it was the rain visors that were installed on the jeep which I removed after purchasing only to still hear the whistle.
Indyplumber70 is offline  
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now



In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:


Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.



Email Address:
OR

Log-in









Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.




Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page



Posting Rules  
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

 
For the best viewing experience please update your browser to Google Chrome