Got bored, made some custom paracord grab handles.. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Wrangler Forums > JK Wrangler Technical Forum > Got bored, made some custom paracord grab handles..

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineThe Solution to Radius Arm Bind - Meet Lock-N-LoadFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 07-12-2010, 04:41 PM   #1
Tuff2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

Got bored, made some custom paracord grab handles..

Well I got bored yeasterday and took the time to make some custom Paracord grab handles rather than buy a pair....

I asked the wife what color she wanted and she picked out coyote brown and grey so to work I went...and a small purchase of 2 inch velcro and the prototypes were done, spent about 2 hours to tie the paracord and get the velcro done.....

Sorry for the pictures ahead of time took them with a iphone..

Tuff2010 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:50 PM   #2
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

Looks good dude ........ Could you make them thicker ? I don't claim to know how to do that kind of work but looks like you did an awesome job
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:53 PM   #3
Tuff2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

They are about a inch wide and half inch thick... I could make them thicker but it eats up alot of paracord..
Unread 07-12-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
MilitaryJK4455
Web Wheeler
2010 JK Wrangler 

You could hang a 200lb man with that much paracord... No need for them to be thicker.
MilitaryJK4455 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:03 PM   #5
fernjack
2007 JK Wrangler 

They look cool I just thought a little thicker would be easier to hold onto . I know they are strong ......very strong . I bought the Rugged Ridge ones and the stiching came apart so I restiched them with fireline fishing line 20lb .....they work now . I then bought the Quadratec ones and they seem better . I'm giving the RR ones to an old G/friend for her TJ Sport . They don't work well in the back of my 4dr. Rubi . I think I'll eventually get the metal ones ...... it would be cool to wrap those in para cord ....how would I do that and keep them tight ?
fernjack is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2010, 05:16 PM   #6
Tuff2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
They look cool I just thought a little thicker would be easier to hold onto . I know they are strong ......very strong . I bought the Rugged Ridge ones and the stiching came apart so I restiched them with fireline fishing line 20lb .....they work now . I then bought the Quadratec ones and they seem better . I'm giving the RR ones to an old G/friend for her TJ Sport . They don't work well in the back of my 4dr. Rubi . I think I'll eventually get the metal ones ...... it would be cool to wrap those in para cord ....how would I do that and keep them tight ?

I have no idea how to go about doing that...but its a cool idea..
Unread 07-12-2010, 06:13 PM   #7
krutj
2009 JK Wrangler 

Nice job....

I like custom stuff....

You could make some extra $$$$, by selling some, they look better than factory made handles.
Unread 07-12-2010, 07:14 PM   #8
Tuff2010
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by krutj View Post
Nice job....

I like custom stuff....

You could make some extra $$$$, by selling some, they look better than factory made handles.

I would have to crunch the number on cost of supplies...but that is a idea...would be around 35.00 a set....
Unread 07-13-2010, 06:26 AM   #9
Dronac
2008 JK Wrangler 

Gotta love paracord.
Dronac is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-28-2012, 07:46 PM   #10
Wrangler2012
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by fernjack View Post
Hey, i know im sort of resurrecting this thread, but i do suppose i know how to do that. you would just wrap them normally, then pour some boiling water on them (or dip them in boiling water) and let them dry. that will shrink them and make it tighter on your bar thing. Check this video out, its got all you need to know about shrinking paracord. i believe they shrunk a 10 ft piece of paracord and it went down about 4 inches, which is fairly large when it comes to wraps.
Wrangler2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 06:36 AM   #11
paul84043
2012 JK Wrangler 

I've been planning on doing this myself, probably as a winter project...
Black and Orange. I was going to try to either weave it back over itself, or over some kind of a core to add thickness, but either of those is very easy.
The thing I like about the paracord stuff is having all that extra cord on hand should you need it in an emergency of some kind.
The kids got into the bracelets and what not a while back, so we have bags full of the cord in every color imaginable.
paul84043 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-29-2012, 09:57 AM   #12
Wrangler2012
1990 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by paul84043
I've been planning on doing this myself, probably as a winter project...
Black and Orange. I was going to try to either weave it back over itself, or over some kind of a core to add thickness, but either of those is very easy.
The thing I like about the paracord stuff is having all that extra cord on hand should you need it in an emergency of some kind.
The kids got into the bracelets and what not a while back, so we have bags full of the cord in every color imaginable.
Yea, I just ordered a 1000' foot spool and I plan on beginning it as soon as I get it, hopefully during this hurricane so I have something to do! Lol. I have no idea how to do any of this-I'm just starting-so it looks like ill have some learning and practice to do before I begin! But once I begin,there won't be any stopping me! Hahaha
Wrangler2012 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-13-2012, 09:14 PM   #13
jnmholley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

I took on paracord project as well... Here is how mine turned out

image-1060330849.jpg
jnmholley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:43 AM   #14
Make mine a Jeep!

2012 JK Wrangler 

Looks good and all but how about some pics of them installed?
1222 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-14-2012, 09:49 AM   #15
jnmholley
1988 YJ Wrangler 

Will get some tonight of the oh crap handles ... Trying to get jeep painted so as of right now it's still red. I'm replacing my interior with black so haven't installed everything yet.
jnmholley is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.